Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: dedicated to b3y0nd3r : An example of a treasure legend evolution :

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16

    Dec 2018
    73
    61 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    no I think it applies to OI just as much. I am just of the mind that they have absolutely no affect on each other. OI could be total fabrication, where as your side walk of gold story came from a misunderstanding. or the other way is also possible.

    there are folks (you?) that need to see proof of tunnels, stone markers, etc... until you see that proof, you consider it a fantasy. I am curious to find out what happened there. I am convinced that something went on there. I don't know what, but am open to any possibility.

    humans are unpredictable creatures as well. they will eschew human nature in a heart beat. I have problems with the tv show, just as you do. I hesitate to call someone a liar or a fraud when I don't have all the information. I enjoy the "story" which is why I am here.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

  2. #17
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6,927
    6255 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I see your point Tom and think itís safe to assume there are plenty of folks willing to drink the Kool-Aid without some critical analysis.
    I feel we need that type of analytic thinking because in the end it helps to find the truth and could quite possible lead to a real buried treasure. Whether on O.I. Or somewhere else.
    petetherocker and dsdigger like this.


    We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

  3. #18

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,525
    9857 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyGold View Post
    ... I feel we need that type of analytic thinking....
    And that "analytical thinking" might conclude in things some folks don't wanna hear
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  4. #19
    us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    968
    1135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    And that "analytical thinking" might conclude in things some folks don't wanna hear
    That goes both ways big guy

    Now, first my apologies, I wasn't aware of this thread as I didn't look for it. That's on me.

    Second... oh boy! What fun I could have playing the skeptic to Tom's story, which I read at least 3-4 times before. It's up to you, the reader, if you want me to debunk Tom's story(post below with "please debunk ;P) and prove him incorrect, that there was in fact, the possibility that another detector was there and that they found gold coins. Otherwise, I will just let it go

    Being that this in in the OI forum, I will show you what the difference is between your story and OI. You made a point of including your friend moved away. So let's talk about moving away, or lack of it.

    McGinnis lived on the island. Smith bought several parcels on the island. Vaughn lived near and participated in the digs until his 60s. If they conned people, they didn't do a very good job of getting away from the island with the money. If they or just assumed there was treasure because of a sink hole, than many other believed them.

    Their whole lives were wasted IF they didn't have any evidence of something, which, to use your own logic, doesn't make sense.
    franklin, Tom_in_CA and dsdigger like this.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

  5. #20

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,525
    9857 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    b3y0nd3r, thanx for reading and considering that attempt at an analogy / example of how treasure legends can evolve.

    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    .... I will show you what the difference is between your story and OI....
    Yes. No doubt there is "differences". There are differences in every single stories. That doesn't mean the "moral of the story" can't still hold merit as a plausible explanation.

    Like if someone tried to use the story of the "boy who cried wolf" , someone else could object and say "It doesn't apply, if the person crying wolf, was a girl, and a not a boy". Or "name of the boy" or "the size of the wolf", or "how long they lived there", etc... has anything at all to do with the very applicable "boy -who-cried wolf " moral of the story. So too could my analogy apply, even if exact names, dates, individual factors, etc... are different. No two stories are every 100% identical (lest....... they'd be the exact same story, doh !) . But the point can still be relevant/applicable.
    b3y0nd3r likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  6. #21
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

    Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    10,697
    11206 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    McGinnis lived on the island. Smith bought several parcels on the island. Vaughn lived near and participated in the digs until his 60s. If they conned people, they didn't do a very good job of getting away from the island with the money. If they or just assumed there was treasure because of a sink hole, than many other believed them.

    Their whole lives were wasted IF they didn't have any evidence of something, which, to use your own logic, doesn't make sense.
    People gotta live somewhere. Do you think every person living on islands in Mahone Bay were pulling treasure out to justify their home site location? There are 32 lots on Oak Island.

    Heck, you can buy the next island over, Frog Island, with an 11,000 sq ft home for $2.5 million. Sounds like SOMEONE found some treasure somewhere.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Mar 05, 2019 at 08:54 PM.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

  7. #22
    us
    Mar 2003
    Oregon & Texas
    Custom Designs and Prototypes
    1,558
    784 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    Their whole lives were wasted IF they didn't have any evidence of something, which, to use your own logic, doesn't make sense.
    That's what delusions are all about.
    franklin, etex, Darke and 1 others like this.

  8. #23
    us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    968
    1135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl-NC View Post
    That's what delusions are all about.
    Delusions? If you are equating beliefs to delusions, then you offending a lot of religious people. Also, if you believe it's all "delusions", then why are you here? Why a person of your caliber is wasting so much time correcting us delusional people?

    There are a great many things you could(should?) be doing besides wasting time here.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

  9. #24
    us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    968
    1135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    b3y0nd3r, thanx for reading and considering that attempt at an analogy / example of how treasure legends can evolve.



    Yes. No doubt there is "differences". There are differences in every single stories. That doesn't mean the "moral of the story" can't still hold merit as a plausible explanation.

    Like if someone tried to use the story of the "boy who cried wolf" , someone else could object and say "It doesn't apply, if the person crying wolf, was a girl, and a not a boy". Or "name of the boy" or "the size of the wolf", or "how long they lived there", etc... has anything at all to do with the very applicable "boy -who-cried wolf " moral of the story. So too could my analogy apply, even if exact names, dates, individual factors, etc... are different. No two stories are every 100% identical (lest....... they'd be the exact same story, doh !) . But the point can still be relevant/applicable.
    And I will say, "no doubt" that some stories will spiral and become more grandiose and more inaccurate as it is told over the passage of time.

    However, the original story of OI has nothing which I would consider, more grandiose nor inaccurate simply because, it is a plain, detailed, and lack lustered story.

    Original story:

    Three boys/men dig a hole find wood planks every 10 feet. Find coconut fiber. Find putty.

    Pretty boring story. Where is is the meat of it?

    My version(if I was trying to impress people/get investors)

    Three men found a circle of medium sized stones and in the middle of these stones was a deep impression. Digging down ten feet, they discovered a trap door leading to a large cavern. In the cavern was two skeletal remains of men in traditional Spanish military style clothing and a small ships gun as well as many other common use items. The remains were buried on the island and the gun and the common use items were sold to help finance the dig.

    The cavern was adorned with carvings, which later were deciphered to tell a story that massive amounts of Spanish gold and silver were lowered deeper into the pit. In the corner of the cavern was another trap door with very old ladders leading lower levels.

    See my point?
    n2mini and Tom_in_CA like this.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

  10. #25

    Feb 2018
    32
    62 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    What exactly is being argued with regard to how "believable" the origin story was? Because it was "boring", it's valid? You have to also realize that story told today can take on a very different color than it might have over 200 years ago. Society has changed a lot. Back then, the story may have sounded very compelling and almost suggestive. Why else would it appear in print?

    We have all been exposed to a vast greater variety of information, i.e. science based evidence and historical research debunking so many age old myths and legends. As an example, many years ago when my late grandmother was young, she thought she saw the devil out in one of the fields on their farm at night. It was her uncle from the next farm over just checking out the crops with a kerosene lantern.

    Today I would hazard a guess that most people, when they first see or hear something they would consider hard to believe, would assume there was some logical explanation until further evidence is presented. My grandmother was not superstitious or prone to believing in the supernatural but she was living in very different cultural context in the early 1900's. I think it would be interesting to do a survey of newspaper articles from the 1850's to see how common one like OI were (not just treasure legends but other unexplained phenomena).

    I'm not saying the origin story of OI doesn't have some kernel of truth. I just wouldn't base it's validity on how dull or exciting it was.
    Last edited by TN13; Mar 06, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Caryl and Tom_in_CA like this.

  11. #26
    us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    968
    1135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TN13 View Post
    What exactly is being argued with regard to how "believable" the origin story was? Because it was "boring", it's valid? You have to also realize that story told today can take on a very different color than it might have over 200 years ago. Society has changed a lot. Back then, the story may have sounded very compelling and almost suggestive. Why else would it appear in print?

    We have all been exposed to a vast greater variety of information, i.e. science based evidence and historical research debunking so many age old myths and legends. As an example, many years ago when my late grandmother was young, she thought she saw the devil out in one of the fields on their farm at night. It was her uncle from the next farm over just checking out the crops with a kerosene lantern.

    Today I would hazard a guess that most people, when they first see or hear something they would consider hard to believe, would assume there was some logical explanation until further evidence is presented. My grandmother was not superstitious or prone to believing in the supernatural but she was living in very different cultural context in the early 1900's. I think it would be interesting to do a survey of newspaper articles from the 1850's to see how common one like OI were (not just treasure legends but other unexplained phenomena).

    I'm not saying the origin story of OI doesn't have some kernel of truth. I just wouldn't base it's validity on how dull or exciting it was.
    This is the perfect example of something taken out of context. I was providing an example of what the OI story should be comparing it to Tom's golden owl story. I hope this helps.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

  12. #27

    Jan 2015
    Triad NC
    464
    297 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Kinda like UFO's and the new show Blue Book on TV currently...

  13. #28

    Feb 2018
    32
    62 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    This is the perfect example of something taken out of context. I was providing an example of what the OI story should be comparing it to Tom's golden owl story. I hope this helps.
    This is what I was responding to: "However, the original story of OI has nothing which I would consider, more grandiose nor inaccurate simply because, it is a plain, detailed, and lack lustered story. "

  14. #29
    us
    Professional Treasure Hunter

    Jun 2012
    Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
    4,139
    6127 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I do not know why we can not just watch the show? Why all of these debates? The Laginas are only using these debates to make more stupid movies. If they wanted to find treasure, they would use more than one metal detector. They can find more within 8 feet of the surface of the ground than they will ever find by drilling holes 200 feet deep to look at mud, logs and boards that have been excavated to a depth of over 100 feet and then filled back in years ago. Total waste of time and millions of dollars.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

  15. #30
    us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    968
    1135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TN13 View Post
    This is what I was responding to: "However, the original story of OI has nothing which I would consider, more grandiose nor inaccurate simply because, it is a plain, detailed, and lack lustered story. "
    Never mind.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

 

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Legend of Mount Graham Treasure and Cochise Stronghold Treasure
    By cochisecowboy1965 in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Sep 04, 2017, 07:47 PM
  2. Treasure tip, or Legend?
    By DeepseekerADS in forum Treasure Legends
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 04, 2013, 11:13 AM
  3. Treasure legend
    By jaggaz KY in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
  4. Another Treasure Legend Located For Sure!
    By bigscoop in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
  5. Please add a permanent Inca Treasure link to the Treasure legend forum.
    By Alaskan Adventurer in forum TreasureNet FAQ/Feedback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 30, 2011, 07:15 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0