Money Pit Area Land Rights

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when the Restall's got on the Island they got permission from Mel Chappell to dig the Money Pit Area in exchange for 50% of anything found. I'm guessing he gave Dunfield the same deal.. I assume Chappell owned the land. Now years later I have read that the Brothers spent upwards of 15 million dollars to get the rights and permits to start their digs. They are still having to get different permits to dig certain areas. My question is why did it cost so much money and who got it? I assume Dan Blankenship owned the rights to some or most of the island, so of course he got some but dang how much?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I know... So just speculating. I would not be surprised if much of that money was paid to 'themselves' (Blankenship's and Laginas") The TV production company has been billed by the corporation that owns the land (Blakenships and Laginas) for a significant portion of that amount. This is money is paid from all the sponsorship, government grants etc. I doub't much of that money went to external parties (I imagine Fred Nolans family are now getting some for letting Laginas search their land). Given that Laginas are basically selling the rights to themselves they can charge whatever they want to milk out all the money the TV show makes.

As you said they already owned most of the land...

As to where the 15 million you are quoting comes from and what it is meant to include is another matter. They seem to be wasting millions. In the past they claimed that each hole cost over a million to dig. The explosive/sonic mapping was over a million. I imagine the cost of putting up the coffer dam and taking it down again would be expensive as well.

So they have dug 2 new big holes this season alone.. This plus the sonic map and coffer dam already must of cost them in excess of $4 million.

The treasure they would have if they spent the 15 million on gold

Here is a picture of about $1.25 million in gold bars so juts picture a pile of 12 times the amount of gold shown...

gold-generic-pixabay_650x400_61511083918.jpg

If you are correct and that is only for the rights then the whole amount they have spent is probably closer to double that.

Now that is a TREASURE....

OP
OP
N

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts on it. Now that Dan has passed, I guess Dave now owns the land and has access to the money that was paid Dan for the rights. He'll be able to live comfortably for his reminder years... Still at the end of the day even though they are having to pay quite a few people to be "stars" on the show, it's not like the 100's of thousands they have to pay each star on a typical sitcom per episode..The last few years of the show Friends they were paying each of them 1 million dollars per times 6 actors... So there is money there for the show to help pay for the search to continue it on as long as the TV Ratings are good...

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
Not that I know... So just speculating. I would not be surprised if much of that money was paid to 'themselves' (Blankenship's and Laginas") The TV production company has been billed by the corporation that owns the land (Blakenships and Laginas) for a significant portion of that amount. This is money is paid from all the sponsorship, government grants etc. I doub't much of that money went to external parties (I imagine Fred Nolans family are now getting some for letting Laginas search their land). Given that Laginas are basically selling the rights to themselves they can charge whatever they want to milk out all the money the TV show makes.

As you said they already owned most of the land...

As to where the 15 million you are quoting comes from and what it is meant to include is another matter. They seem to be wasting millions. In the past they claimed that each hole cost over a million to dig. The explosive/sonic mapping was over a million. I imagine the cost of putting up the coffer dam and taking it down again would be expensive as well.

So they have dug 2 new big holes this season alone.. This plus the sonic map and coffer dam already must of cost them in excess of $4 million.

The treasure they would have if they spent the 15 million on gold

Here is a picture of about $1.25 million in gold bars so juts picture a pile of 12 times the amount of gold shown...

View attachment 1693841

If you are correct and that is only for the rights then the whole amount they have spent is probably closer to double that.

Now that is a TREASURE....
Don't you think some of these digging/ evaluation/ survey companies either donate their services or work for a discounted rate for the free advertising/ exposure/ hope that they can claim their participation in the discovery/attempt?

OP
OP
N

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd imagine some of them are if not all as I'm sure there is some sort of negotiation before hand, about filming, and what to say when etc... Which may turn into them being paid from the show a portion to make up for it taking so long to do their part...

Bad Puppy

Feb 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a Historical Site , rent it out like a Cheap Motel Room ?

Oh yes , it's a Beautiful World we live in ,,,

I wonder what it's for ?

Gotta love the Way Earth's Humans think .

Bad Puppy

Feb 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at least the folks are carrying on Tradition , " Pump Tons of Money into an Empty Hole "

lot of Money just to wallow in the Mud .

I just go 5 miles out in the Forest, 4x4 out there in the Mud . Much Cheaper , much more fun too .

LOL

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your thoughts on it. Now that Dan has passed, I guess Dave now owns the land and has access to the money that was paid Dan for the rights. He'll be able to live comfortably for his reminder years... Still at the end of the day even though they are having to pay quite a few people to be "stars" on the show, it's not like the 100's of thousands they have to pay each star on a typical sitcom per episode..The last few years of the show Friends they were paying each of them 1 million dollars per times 6 actors... So there is money there for the show to help pay for the search to continue it on as long as the TV Ratings are good...

The Estate of Dan now owns the land. How many peoples ... I don't know ... Dave could be one of them ... I hope so.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you think some of these digging/ evaluation/ survey companies either donate their services or work for a discounted rate for the free advertising/ exposure/ hope that they can claim their participation in the discovery/attempt?
I am sure you a right to some extent. Still I do not think that construction company is doing it for free...

Caryl

Feb 2, 2008
You mean the deep bore drilling rig? I doubt it too. But I bet they aren't full price, or weren't when they started. But all the new toys and experts they bring in week to week, I bet they are work for trade. Not that any of it matters.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean the deep bore drilling rig? I doubt it too. But I bet they aren't full price, or weren't when they started. But all the new toys and experts they bring in week to week, I bet they are work for trade. Not that any of it matters.
I also imagine the drilling crew must be thinking what a massive waste of time, money and effort... I would bet none of the drilling crew think there is any treasure buried there...

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also imagine the drilling crew must be thinking what a massive waste of time, money and effort... I would bet none of the drilling crew think there is any treasure buried there...
Bet they're thinking that secondary! How often does that rig operate? They're working, drawing a check! Not to mention if they go to work for another company, the video clips etc. sure look pretty in the resume! The company is getting advertising I don't think money could buy. A bunch of pictures of them working the Oak Island job sure make the conference room & lobby look good for customers looking to hire them for their job. A company rep pointing to the pics saying "Here's what we did at OI, compared to that your job would be a piece of cake for us!" boom contract signed. Think, that rigs not sitting in the yard & the crews drawing paychecks.

OP
OP
N

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but they hope there is so they can be a part of finding it.

OP
OP
N

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said hope... and here you are singlestack just posting negitive stuff in every active thread as usual..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I said hope... and here you are singlestack just posting negitive stuff in every active thread as usual..

Yeah. Reality is a harsh mistress. She has no mercy for weaklings or dreamers.

OP
OP
N

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was responding to a post of someones who said they bet the drilling workers don't believe there is any treasure there and that this is a waste of money. All I said was "but they hope they find it" ( if it is there ) so they can be a part of it. How hard is that to understand and believe. I'm not saying there is treasure, or that they are going to find it just, HOPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as is IF THERE IS TREASURE TO BE FOUND THEY HOPE TO BE THE ONES TO FIND IT..... They are being paid to perform their job. I'm sure every time they go out to drill they hope to hit/find whatever they are being called out to drill for, whether or not they think it's possible or not....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread