Why Do I Put Up With Curse Of Oak Island.

Zom

Dec 8, 2019
USA
Detector(s) used
1975 White Discriminator. Sorry, my metal detector days are over.
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do I put up with Curse?

I HATE so-called reality shows. They're coached and staged... conversation is stilted, people are told where to stand for the best light. I tire of everyone shaking hands ever time they meet and Rick or Marty ending a meeting with... "let's get back to work". The coaching involves trying to get the actors to explain things in a way to create a narrative. The camera crews also have to be off screen... only seen at times in reflections of glass. I saw the shadow of one of the drones once. They slipped up on that one! Then there's the insipid narration... "Could it be that this piece of rust Drayton found was placed on the beach by the aliens help who helped the Templars safely cross the ocean with the Holy Grail?"

The job of the editors must be harder to piece together all the raw clips to fine tune a narrative for each scene. Sometimes it barely holds together. Then to make it worse there's all the repetition... what's coming up after the break so people stay tuned, and then after the break a review of what happened... presumably so channel surfers get hooked. Each show is about 15 minutes of content stretched into a 45 minute show.

But.... unlike reality shows done on the cheap... like Civil War Gold, the Lagina's are spending millions to get to the bottom of a mystery that's intrigued me since I first head about Oak Island back in the 60s.

So I'm as hooked as I am repelled.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do you put up with it? Merely symptomatic of the disease all MD’rs suffer.... MAYBE that pull tab signal is really a ring... MAYBE the next hunt will produce a banner find...
Like the rest of us, you’re just dying to know what’s at the bottom of the money pit.
Like you, I’m tired of the narrator’s inane questions. “A smooth cobble on a granite beach? Could this be a marker left hundreds of years ago?”
I also wonder why every time Dayton finds something good, the hunt ends. Put a couple hundred of us volunteers loose on the island and we’ll uncover every piece of metal within a foot of the surface in one day!
What intrigues me the most is where the money to fund this operation is coming from.
It continues to be entertaining.
dts

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because its more interesting then Golden Girls...

OP
OP
Z

Zom

Dec 8, 2019
USA
Detector(s) used
1975 White Discriminator. Sorry, my metal detector days are over.
Primary Interest:
Other
What intrigues me the most is where the money to fund this operation is coming from.

Mary Lagina made money in fracking and presumably his partner Craig Tester now make big money in the wind turbine business.
Heritage Wind Energy

You've probably seen the photo of a wind turbine being put up behind them when they're on a video link.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what happens when you go to MichTech and drink the Houghton UP beers .......

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch it but how in the world could they have buried it so deep

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch it but how in the world could they have buried it so deep

jack-russell-dog-digging-hole-260nw-283482122.jpg

Dirt Hawk

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2019
Augusta, Kansas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the real curse of Oak Island is the TV coverage. They are tantalizing us to watch the next episode when we know darn well nothing substantial will be found! It's all about advertising but guess what, I couldn't tell you a single ad that stuck in my memory during the show. LOL

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
The real answer is that you watch it because when you turn the Tv on the other channels are running reality TV shows a lot worse like 'Celebrity Dentist' or 'Big Brother French Poodle Owners'.

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from the doofus narrator, one of the worst things is the railroad spike that was identified as a deck spike off a ship. Oh, and Rick trying to sound so sophisticated with his extensive vocabulary. And everytime they find something good, it's "Well, let's call it a day," when there's still plenty of daylight left. But, like many, I continue to watch.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Aside from the doofus narrator, one of the worst things is the railroad spike that was identified as a deck spike off a ship.
BUT that was identified by an “Expert” LOL

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, and our MD-ing "expert" Gary, seems to be the only one to find stuff, worthy of fussing over...!
I agree, that RR spike just about blew it, as far as I was concerned..., yet, I still watch the show -
to see what Gary finds next...! :laughing7:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I can only watch 5 to 10 minutes of it before it gets too painful. Script is awful, forced dialog is brutal. All and all a pretty bad production. Yet, I still will tune in now and then for another dose of misery.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually stopped watching, guess I’m just stronger than you

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aside from the doofus narrator, one of the worst things is the railroad spike that was identified as a deck spike off a ship.

My vote for the worst thing identified was the corner brace metal that was identified as a chest hinge - it wasn't even close.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote for the worst thing identified was the corner brace metal that was identified as a chest hinge - it wasn't even close.
For me the two worst are: The old gigging spear prong that was claimed to be a roman spear and the claim that they amazingly found the 90 foot stone sitting in the basement of the book shop that had been searched multiple times before over the past few decades...

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The “Roman Sword” has to place as a close second

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I stopped watching some time ago. When I hear they found something I will watch the rerun or on utube.
its all a junk waste of time watching it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread