How long will this go on??

frustrated

Dec 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly, I am new to this forum so I hope I don't upset anyone by being frank.
The main reason I watch this show is that when as a youngster, I read a book about the lost treasure buried on oak island and have had an interest on and off since. When the show first aired, I was somewhat excited that someone was finally going to solve the mystery and unlock the "curse". So here is how I feel now.
I have been watching this series since it started and they still have not found the shaft that is supposed to have some kind of treasure at its bottom. There is so much wasted time on this show exploring the island instead of locating the shaft. If anyone is interested in the history of the island, then all this stuff is fine, but that is not supposed to be the premise of the show. Finding the treasure pit is what the show is about. Having some chirper finding little nails, belt buckles, and buttons, is just a filler and has nothing to do with finding the "treasure". Driving around on little side trips and flying off to Europe is all nice but has nothing to do with locating you know what. As far as I am concerned, any activity that is not directly related to the location of the money pit and what's at the bottom, is just filling in time. Digging to find flood tunnels, and drilling test holes makes a lot of sense but all the rest? I record the show so I can fast forward through all the junk and commercials. I hope they finally solve the mystery, but for now, I am completely frustrated.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to tnet
It’s all about cash. As long as ratings cause the network to give them cash and companies give free equipment to get their products on air it will stretch on to infinity.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When you are passing along carnival barkers offering play ...You should focus on "the game" how it works and why ,and what your odds are of gaining anything for your money.

Pre-media there may have been more profit selling maps to legends , than in resolving legends.
Today , we have film to watch the pitch.

The legend is real. Is your/our belief in it real? Based on what?

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It has to run out eventually, there is only so much ridiculous speculation the viewers will put up with before loosing all interest, however, the question remains, will they ever solve the mystery? Something did happen on Oak Island, people were there for a reason before the searchers tore the island up, maybe all of this carnival showmanship will generate enough interest from people to justify the investment and maybe they will discover something more interesting and significant than a bobby dazzler, my hope is not in the show anymore, but in the eventual outcome.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they solved the mystery: There's simply nothing of value left on Oak Island. My personal theory is that there may have been some valuables buried on the island, but they were dug up by Daniel McGinnis when he first noticed the depression in the ground in 1799. Daniel had the perfect motive to simply lie and say that he never found any treasure: He became an employee of the Onslow company that began excavations on the island in 1802! And thus began a propagating hoax that would draw in treasure hunters to this day.

I say "hoax", because many of the alleged finds on Oak Island (the ninety foot stone, pieces of parchment, gold chain, etc), were likely planted by workers of the Onslow and later companies so that they could convince their employers to continue funding Oak Island excavations, thus preserving their jobs.

The box drain theory is just a bunch of baloney. Oak Island lies above porous bedrock, so of course any tunnels that are dug will be saturated with water. In 1995, a study by Woods Hole found that the flooding of mineshafts was simply caused by the natural geography of the island.

At this point, the Oak Island show is acting very disingenuous. They've yet to find anything after seven (!) seasons, so they pull all sorts of "fast ones" to keep watchers interested. At this point, many of the show members don't care about solving any mystery: the real treasure is in their pay checks, and they'll do anything to keep the show going if it means getting money and publicity.

Here's one example out of many: In Season 6, Gary found a Victorian garnet broach with the metal detector. It was nothing out of the ordinary for a metal detectorist; in fact, many members on Tnet have probably found very similar broaches. However, Gary started talking about how it looked like the broach was from the 16th century! Later, they brought the broach to a sketchy "materials scientist" who "confirmed" their findings (and was probably tipped well in the process). Any archeologist or metal detectorist worth their salt could have told you that it was from the 19th century. Long story short, the Oak Island show is far more concerned about pleasing fans with their hyped up conclusions about meager findings then they are about getting any sort of real facts.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they solved the mystery: There's simply nothing of value left on Oak Island. My personal theory is that there may have been some valuables buried on the island, but they were dug up by Daniel McGinnis when he first noticed the depression in the ground in 1799. Daniel had the perfect motive to simply lie and say that he never found any treasure: He became an employee of the Onslow company that began excavations on the island in 1802! And thus began a propagating hoax that would draw in treasure hunters to this day.

I say "hoax", because many of the alleged finds on Oak Island (the ninety foot stone, pieces of parchment, gold chain, etc), were likely planted by workers of the Onslow and later companies so that they could convince their employers to continue funding Oak Island excavations, thus preserving their jobs.

The box drain theory is just a bunch of baloney. Oak Island lies above porous bedrock, so of course any tunnels that are dug will be saturated with water. In 1995, a study by Woods Hole found that the flooding of mineshafts was simply caused by the natural geography of the island.

At this point, the Oak Island show is acting very disingenuous. They've yet to find anything after seven (!) seasons, so they pull all sorts of "fast ones" to keep watchers interested. At this point, many of the show members don't care about solving any mystery: the real treasure is in their pay checks, and they'll do anything to keep the show going if it means getting money and publicity.

Here's one example out of many: In Season 6, Gary found a Victorian garnet broach with the metal detector. It was nothing out of the ordinary for a metal detectorist; in fact, many members on Tnet have probably found very similar broaches. However, Gary started talking about how it looked like the broach was from the 16th century! Later, they brought the broach to a sketchy "materials scientist" who "confirmed" their findings (and was probably tipped well in the process). Any archeologist or metal detectorist worth their salt could have told you that it was from the 19th century. Long story short, the Oak Island show is far more concerned about pleasing fans with their hyped up conclusions about meager findings then they are about getting any sort of real facts.

My feelings exactly.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other

The famous broach was from the lost toy gun of Rick Restall

AC9A0FB3-EE10-4159-A5A8-0D4C7633EC51.jpeg

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like you nailed it

Attachments

• 3BA0F9A2-FD4F-4746-AB38-3AEDF2AFB839.jpeg
    3BA0F9A2-FD4F-4746-AB38-3AEDF2AFB839.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 145

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you nailed it

That cheap metal would not be with a genuine stone. The scientist that tested it must be paid off. It does not look like a genuine stone nor does the metal look like it would have been used with a genuine stone. Cheap is usually cheap. And Fake is usually Fake.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will go on as long as people choose to watch it.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you nailed it

I have actually seen stones with an outline like that as Sasquash posted on toy guns when I was growing up.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has to run out eventually...
I hear rumors that they are already making season 8...

Maybe they have this shows record in mind.....

811iFKfvbaL._SY445_.jpg

I am sure by season 20 those armored cars arriving in the middle of the night will be true...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard frustrated! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
AND

Thank goodness I have a DVR!
celebrate.gif
celebrate1.gif
celebrate.gif
I figure the actual show is 10 minutes long - the other 50 minutes are commercials and "replaying" what you just watched minutes ago to "bring ya up-to-date!"

Thank goodness I have a DVR!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the last show in 6 minutes. Saves a lot of time. You do not even have to listen to the narrator--Six have died who will be the seventh. I would not be on a show where they think another is going to die. Ridiculous.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear rumors that they are already making season 8...

Maybe they have this shows record in mind.....

View attachment 1783053

I am sure by season 20 those armored cars arriving in the middle of the night will be true...

They have been unloading those armored cars rather quickly. Thirty-five million in the last few years down the "Money Pit" Hole.

SSR

Sep 24, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories can live for a very long time if the people who interact with them strive to find proof they were literal accounts. We see this with the world's religions. The allegories and their meaning have no value to some people if they are not literal stories. So it is with OI. In my opinion we are given very easily identifiable myths with OI that are woven into an allegory. Three searchers, a shaft, 9 levels, a stone with hieroglyphs, a cave-in, a flood...it's all part of another story.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Stories can live for a very long time if the people who interact with them strive to find proof they were literal accounts. We see this with the world's religions. The allegories and their meaning have no value to some people if they are not literal stories. So it is with OI. In my opinion we are given very easily identifiable myths with OI that are woven into an allegory. Three searchers, a shaft, 9 levels, a stone with hieroglyphs, a cave-in, a flood...it's all part of another story.
Entertainment only !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread