The real treasure in treasure hunting

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the Superstitions and I do believe the legend, (there are different several paths the legend follows). Another thing I have come to believe is that the Superstitions are a dangerous place to search for treasure.

Cheers, Loki
I guess anywhere there is still a chance of actual treasure being found is likely to be pretty inhospitable... The easy treasure was all found long ago I would imagine.

I have been watching the latest season of "Outback Opal Hunters" an Australian show that follows Opal miners in the Australian outback. They deserve every dollar they make from the opal. It is a very hard life they chose to live chasing treasure...

Did you go looking for the mine when you were there?

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess anywhere there is still a chance of actual treasure being found is likely to be pretty inhospitable... The easy treasure was all found long ago I would imagine.

I have been watching the latest season of "Outback Opal Hunters" an Australian show that follows Opal miners in the Australian outback. They deserve every dollar they make from the opal. It is a very hard life they chose to live chasing treasure...

Did you go looking for the mine when you were there?

Read a couple of books and did a couple of short hikes on marked trails, so I guess the answer is no!

Cheers, Loki

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Years ago (like 40) I recall watching a documentary about Coober Pedy (struck me enough I recall the town name) and how they lived in the mines and caves to beat the heat. It was like a desert planet sci-fi.

I'd watch it as long as the narrator never asked the audience a question and then followed it up immediately with "and if so?"

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I saw that same show Charlie. The big mining industry left town long ago but many of the miners and their families decided to stay.

Incidentally, a very quirky Australian film called “Welcome to Woop-Woop” was loosely based on the idea. The (fictional) town of Woop-Woop was a former mining colony whose locals refused to leave when the bosses packed up and left. They started a dog food factory using kangaroo roadkill scavenged from a nearby highway. Fathers sent their daughters into nearby towns to seduce unsuspecting men into marriage, or at least, pregnancy to avoid the kind the problems isolated communities have when cousins and siblings are the only options for maintaining population growth.

There’s a lot more to the film and its really entertaining but hard to find on American tv.

Last edited:

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Then you admit that the bicyclist found the large stack of silver bricks, yes. I thought you would see it my way. But like ECS you always try to place a little jam on your end.

Your statement before seemed to indicate that WITHOUT the bicyclist, the Atocha would never have been found...
ECS's response was simply if the bicyclist hadn't been there, someone else would have been assigned to search the same area, and found it...

If Christopher Columbus' crew had mutinied, and returned to Spain, we would likely be celebrating "Cabot Day" (7/24/1497)… but the New World would still have been found by an Italian.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
San Salvador Island is as close as Columbus got, ever. Not even part of the USA.

There were hundreds of thousands of people here when Columbus even got that close. They didn't need to be "found". ;-)

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your statement before seemed to indicate that WITHOUT the bicyclist, the Atocha would never have been found...
ECS's response was simply if the bicyclist hadn't been there, someone else would have been assigned to search the same area, and found it...

If Christopher Columbus' crew had mutinied, and returned to Spain, we would likely be celebrating "Cabot Day" (7/24/1497)… but the New World would still have been found by an Italian.

Why not "if" it all the way to the bank. If God had not made Man on Earth, HE would have made him some where else. "IF" "IF" Don't make any sense.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes some sense. It's what you call "happenstance". Mel would have kept searching until he found it or ran out of funds. The kid just happened to have that grid area assigned to him to search that day. I doubt he went off somewhere of his own choosing.

Someone else might even have found it three minutes sooner.

"First time is happenstance. Second time is circumstance. The third time is enemy action" - - Auric Goldfinger (Ian Fleming's "Goldfinger")

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes some sense. It's what you call "happenstance". Mel would have kept searching until he found it or ran out of funds. The kid just happened to have that grid area assigned to him to search that day. I doubt he went off somewhere of his own choosing.

Someone else might even have found it three minutes sooner.

"First time is happenstance. Second time is circumstance. The third time is enemy action" - - Auric Goldfinger (Ian Fleming's "Goldfinger")

I never use words such as "would have" "could have" "might have" "if it could have" no use for such words. All I did was give a fact. A young man on a bicycle traveled to Key West, beat Mel Fisher's dead line and found the "Mother Lode of the Atocha" a mound of silver blocks. Quite simple. No if and or buts about it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never use words such as "would have" "could have" "might have" "if it could have" no use for such words.

I've noticed. I use qualifiers all the time. Drives THE ADMIRAL nuts when she says "Are we going to do "X" tomorrow?" I respond "I guess so". "WHY DON"T YOU EVER JUST SAY "YES". Because a lot can happen in 24 hours that is outside of my control. I try to never give a false impression of having knowledge beyond what I actually have.

I have learned to say: "That would be nice" if it is something I am agreeable to. Everyone stays happy.

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

If in this statement you are referring to discovery by Europeans (As Charlie noted there were hundreds of thousands already here), then it was a Viking, not an Italian, at least as far as we know at this time!

Cheers, Loki

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was simply referring to the National Holiday currently observed in October - for whatever reason. My point was only that if it hadn't been Columbus, a holiday would likely had been named for Cabot (real name Giovanni Caboto - an Italian)- and he ACTUALLY landed in North America. The post had NOTHING to do with "who discovered America", but rather "Who is celebrated as 'discovering' America".

The implication that the stack of silver from the Atocha was found only because Fisher waited for one of the divers to show up on a bicycle ("...he would not have found the Mother Lode unless a bicyclist from Tennessee.") is ridiculous.

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was simply referring to the National Holiday currently observed in October - for whatever reason. My point was only that if it hadn't been Columbus, a holiday would likely had been named for Cabot - and he ACTUALLY landed in North America. The post had NOTHING to do with "who discovered America", but rather "Who is celebrated as 'discovering' America".

The implication that the stack of silver from the Atocha was found only because Fisher waited for one of the divers to show up on a bicycle ("...he would not have found the Mother Lode unless a bicyclist from Tennessee.") is ridiculous.

I guess I misunderstood your "but the New World would still have been found by an Italian". None of the above, as far as history knows, actually landed in America (the part of North America that became the United States), but the Bahamas are part of "North America". I think Columbus Day is slowly fading in importance anyhow!

Cheers, Loki

Last edited:

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cabot landed at Cape Bonavista (or possibly St. Johns), Newfoundland...and why they call it "New found land"...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on guys... we all KNOW that the Americas was discovered by.....

36e9f1fc3576d70c08a6375e7114a330.jpg

After all Fred was in the USA back in the STONE AGE ! That is way before any of the dudes you guys are claiming to be the first white guys to get there...

Here is an actual painting of him digging the Money Pit back in the day

9f6c00736eccda9337e036b9d45ddf51.jpg

This is an image of him building the stone landing in the swamp..

201896.jpg

There is even Ancient wood carvings proving he was in Canada

fred.png

(How else wood he of gotten a Canadian flag?)

As for the bones they found in the pit...

imgbin-fred-flintstone-pearl-slaghoople-wilma-flintstone-t-shirt-fossil-simple-skeleton-illustra.jpg

Fred never made it off the Island....

SO GUYS STOP WITH ALL THE FAKE HISTORY and accept the facts....

flintstonesprowler10.jpg

Last edited:

Mollyerter

Sep 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my view, the Laginas and Oak Island show is nothing more than cheap reality TV. Junk TV for the masses. Find nothing, but hint at something soon.

Gilligan Island with a treasure twists.

I stopped watching that a long long time ago.

That`s right, I never liked this show!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ 14, If all you got was a book in recovering millions of dollars in treasures, you got rob.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread