Is there any REAL proof about the log platforms and 90 ft stone?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were probably stories written in the towns newspaper about it but not every newspaper kept records of everything and or they did but somewhere along the line they got trashed once the newspaper closed and or a bigger one came to town.. Not many people lived on the island at the time so any searchers before the original 3 and there after lived or stayed on the mainland while searching there. Do ya'll really think no one ever talked about searching for treasure on the island. How did others know to come in and try their hand at it... Doesn't mean there is or was treasure there but the word was out there..

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I read about this story many years ago in the Readers Digest. I like it when that clown on the show sniffs every piece of rotten wood dug up. I'll bet it smells like rotten wood.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read about this story many years ago in the Readers Digest. I like it when that clown on the show sniffs every piece of rotten wood dug up. I'll bet it smells like rotten wood.

Most frequently they comment that it smells like creosote.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I post this just to show that people were using different mixtures of what they called "Tar Water" that later became known as Creosote long before what has become known as the discovery date of creosote. Probably not exactly the same but apparently people were mixing up all kinds of concoctions over the years to fit their need or beliefs that it would.. So who is to say that someone on OI didn't mix up something to protect wood that was basically creosote as we know it today...

From Creosote's wiki page-

Even before creosote as a chemical compound was discovered, it was the chief active component of medicinal remedies in different cultures around the world.

The Pharmacopée de Lyon, published in 1778, says that cedar tree oil is believed to cure vomiting and help medicate tumors and ulcers. Physicians contemporary to the discovery of creosote recommended ointments and pills made from tar or pitch to treat skin diseases. Tar water had been used as a folk remedy since the Middle Ages to treat affections like dyspepsia. Bishop Berkeley wrote several works on the medical virtues of tar water, including a philosophical work in 1744 titled Siris:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The original 3 apparently saw them and told others in order for the story to get out...
What was the alleged year of the three found the ground depression and the year of the newspaper article?
What year and source was the log platforms and 90 foot stone mention and by whom?
Most of what is accepted as fact is based on hearsay of alleged eyewitness accounts that have grown from embellished retellings.
What came first ,the log platforms and the 90 foot stone observed in situ, OR the story of the log platforms and 90 foot stone?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep.. So much of the legend of Oak Island was even first recorded until the 1860s. That is 60+ years later. These reports were then based on what one person had remebered someone else telling them about what they saw over half a centuary earler.

Consider this. It would be like you telling a story about something someone told you in the 1960s. How sure would you be that your memeory of the story was right.

I remember a few Christmases ago at a family get together we were comparing stories of things that happened when we were children 40+ years ago that we were all present for. The difference in peoples memory was astounding. Many of the stories of the same events were very different.

I was stunned how everyone else had remembered it wrong.....:tongue3:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I'm saying is if there were mulitiple groups that had been searching on oak island LONG before that article came out in the mid 1800's. How do you think people learned of the search, people had to take boats to the island everyday, word would have been out as to what is going on over there. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NEWS WORTHY to the local town paper... Which probably only came out every so often.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I'm saying is if there were mulitiple groups that had been searching on oak island LONG before that article came out in the mid 1800's. How do you think people learned of the search, people had to take boats to the island everyday, word would have been out as to what is going on over there. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NEWS WORTHY to the local town paper... Which probably only came out every so often.
Maybe it was .. But if it was there are no records of it. That means in an academic sense it is simply oral legend. This is a very unreliable source of history.

Many newspaper archives exist. Maybe it was not reported because it was not newsworthy until someone decided to raise money and look for treasure... We will never know..

What we do know is no one has ever reported finding anything of value form the pit other the oral family legend of the original finders...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creosote was first discovered in 1832, much later than the reported original discovery.

From the book "The Oak Island Mystery Solved" - "According to author and tar kiln archaeologist Stanley South, encountering the smell of creosote during an excavation is a clear signal you have probably stumbled onto old tar kiln ruins"

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the book "The Oak Island Mystery Solved" - "According to author and tar kiln archaeologist Stanley South, encountering the smell of creosote during an excavation is a clear signal you have probably stumbled onto old tar kiln ruins"

Yet another source of great information yet again proving the fiction of the money pit...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions