Theory and Question- Serpent Mounds & Oak Island

OP
OP
R

Riftraft13

Jan 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My original question is more centered toward the actual reason for constructing serpent style monuments anywhere in the world, not specifically Oak Island.
I was giving Oak Island as an example, there are many throughout the world.

Take into account the technology and tools that would be available at the time of original construction:
- when tunneling, debris is removed, the debris will need to go somewhere
- that debris will be natural soil and rock, it will not be taken far away from the tunnels, it will be carted-out small loads at a time and piled into lines
- these lines of debris will only be able to be piled as high as necessary, they will be stretched out over a distance, and not be in a straight line (space and labor restrictive)

Take into account:
- They were very familiar with tunneling. The removal and redepositing of debris is inevitable. There would be a method. It would be pre-planned.
- They were hiding treasure. You can't leave obvious signs of a tunneling project for anyone to stumble upon. You would hide or disguise it.
- What better way to hide something then to hide it in plain sight?
- As far as I can find, there is no definitive proof of a meaning for any serpent type mound found anywhere in the world, other than them being symbolic.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only somewhat related - as far as I know, they never even investigated the Dave Blankenship report of a metal door he had encountered with a drill which was at most 30 feet down.

Do you mean "Dan Blankenship"?

He never discovered a metal door. That was right up there with his claim that a chest, dead body, and passage in bore hole 10x. When the diver went down the hole the only things found at the bottom were mud, water, and rocks...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My original question is more centered toward the actual reason for constructing serpent style monuments anywhere in the world, not specifically Oak Island.
I was giving Oak Island as an example, there are many throughout the world.

Take into account the technology and tools that would be available at the time of original construction:
- when tunneling, debris is removed, the debris will need to go somewhere
- that debris will be natural soil and rock, it will not be taken far away from the tunnels, it will be carted-out small loads at a time and piled into lines
- these lines of debris will only be able to be piled as high as necessary, they will be stretched out over a distance, and not be in a straight line (space and labor restrictive)

Take into account:
- They were very familiar with tunneling. The removal and redepositing of debris is inevitable. There would be a method. It would be pre-planned.
- They were hiding treasure. You can't leave obvious signs of a tunneling project for anyone to stumble upon. You would hide or disguise it.
- What better way to hide something then to hide it in plain sight?
- As far as I can find, there is no definitive proof of a meaning for any serpent type mound found anywhere in the world, other than them being symbolic.

If the debris was removed and piled on the surface then, presumably, a tunnel would still exist. Since there are none at the Ohio mound site or Nova Scotia/Oak Island sites that kind of rules out mine or tunnel tailings.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean "Dan Blankenship"?

He never discovered a metal door. That was right up there with his claim that a chest, dead body, and passage in bore hole 10x. When the diver went down the hole the only things found at the bottom were mud, water, and rocks...

No, it was Dave. He was telling about his and Dan's experiences during S2 or S3 as they were performing exploratory digs near the cave-in pit. I don't remember Dan talking about the same object. He was never able to dig it up and expose it because of a busted drill bit or some such, and like other finds may just be a hard rock. But the Rick and Marty team never investigated.

OP
OP
R

Riftraft13

Jan 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the debris was removed and piled on the surface then, presumably, a tunnel would still exist. Since there are none at the Ohio mound site or Nova Scotia/Oak Island sites that kind of rules out mine or tunnel tailings.

Found so far. I'm not an advocate either for or against the story being true.
I am asking as a general theory question.

I will try to find my answer with an archaeologist.
Thanks

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Singlestack has claimed that so many times that in his head he thinks it is now a fact.... Just ask him...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you please provide the source of your statement above regarding Nolan arranging the stone cross.
It is plausible that Nolan moved some of the rocks to make the cross. He certainly tried many different things to raise finance for his treasure search. There are numerous unsupported claims from Nolan regarding the treasure ie treasure chests found, evidence of a man made wall creating the swamp just to name a couple. No one else ever saw these things but they were claimed by Nolan. He spent much of his life raising money to finance his treasure search.

It seems a more plausible explanation than it was made by the Knights Templar.... At least we know Fred was on Oak Island..

i do not think the possibility that Nolans cross may be in part made by Fred is unreasonable. However to my knowledge there is no evidence that he made the cross.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. Anything is possible. No one knows for a FACT either way at this point and we're probably never know. His son and or Dave Blankenship might know the answer to that. Dan and Nolan at one point kinda teamed up in their searches but had some disagreements and never talked again.. Maybe Dan knew and passed that info to his own son Dave..

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since Dan was getting the press at the time perhaps Fred was looking for a way to garner some attention for himself. Both knew there was nothing on the island in regards to treasure but understood the potential for monetary gains via investors, book deals, media, etc.

But it remains a fact that the island has been dug deep and wide and proven to not house a money pit, flood tunnel traps, or treasure. Not even a question any more.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then why do ya'll bother to be on here. Why do you care if Franklin thinks he knows where the treasure is? Most of ya'll that actually do metal detecting would jump at the chance to go there and search around and be ecstatic to find some of the stuff Gary has found.. Regardless of what the show is showing it can't account for a treasure if it has already been found, and no one can say for a fact that it hasn't. Just as no one can say for a fact that it has... In the early years of this forum regardless of which side of the story your on we were able to talk, debate, discuss things and now if your a nay sayer it is if your all knowing and there is no discussing it. Example--- There may not be any proof of the Templers having ever been on OI but that doesn't mean they haven't been. Just didn't leave a note somewhere saying they have. I mean really do you think everything people did back 200-300 or more years ago is in a book somewhere? and even so have you read every book?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the show has turned out to be a long series of commercials for Irving Equipment Company, its clear that with all of the holes and excavations made pretending to dig for treasure, they had to have a location to dump all of the dirt and rocks.

The show’s fiction/drama writers who were running out of story lines saw an opportunity and with their creative juices used the dump site as an opportunity to create a “serpent mound” fictional storyline.

The serpent mound storyline will run a couple of episodes and be dropped...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the show has turned out to be a long series of commercials for Irving Equipment Company

Where's your proof that Irving Equipment Company is using the show for commercials? Are they hurting for business?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what the "serpent mounds" are there is not much anyone can do with or about them.. So of course after some researching and digging around them they will have to move on. No one thinks they have anything to do with hiding a treasure.

will7782

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
n2mini asked a question which has been ignored once again.. simply, why do you guys come here EVERY day just to whine?

you are like the down trodden neighbor that looks across the fence at his neighbors b-b-que and grumbles about how bad the food is, how the lawn furniture is lousy, the wrong brand of beer, hell, you even complain about the sun is too hot (or, it's too damn cloudy). using this logic, you remark at how big of fools your neighbors guests must be.

why not just go and have your own party. nobody is forcing you to stare over the fence. go find something you can enjoy.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where's your proof that Irving Equipment Company is using the show for commercials? Are they hurting for business?

Let’s see......many hours of free promotion via the show....

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
n2mini asked a question which has been ignored once again.. simply, why do you guys come here EVERY day just to whine?...
The only ones whining are the ones whose false facts and misinformation are corrected by real facts and real information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions