OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thousands Of Flasks?

Traces in broken flasks, Robot my friend, is far from the large quantity of "pure mercury" you alluded that was needed to "laundry" Spanish gold coins into gold bards.

These are "Thousands of Shards from what may have been Thousands of Large Flasks" containing "A large quantity of Liquid Silver".

I am sure these Freemason Depositors knew what they were doing...without the help from some here!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike most of you, I believe the story from the start, when boys found chains to a oak tree. One treasure hunter just plow most of the island over seeking the money pit which he destroy, never to be found again.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
..."What was found... were thousands of shards of broken pottery flasks in a shallow dump in Joudrey's Cove (north side of the island) in the summer of 1937.
Some of the broken flasks contained traces of a liquid silver residue which Hedden had analyzed in Halifax, and which was found to be mercury...
Here you go again, Robot my friend, expanding the story to fit your pet theory.
While is dies mention "thousands of shards" it does not state "thousands of LARGE flasks containing a large quantity of liquid silver" but "traces of a liquid silver residue".
Traces are not considered a large quantity by any measurement.
Incidentally, Robot, are you aware that every doctor's bag during the 18-19th centuries contained flasks of mercury?
It was used as a cure for a certain disease common to sailors and other professions, and I'll give you a hint- it was NOT for Gold Fever.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The Thigh Bone Is Connected To The Knee Bone!

Here you go again, Robot my friend, expanding the story to fit your pet theory.
While is dies mention "thousands of shards" it does not state "thousands of LARGE flasks containing a large quantity of liquid silver" but "traces of a liquid silver residue".
Traces are not considered a large quantity by any measurement.
Incidentally, Robot, are you aware that every doctor's bag during the 18-19th centuries contained flasks of mercury?
It was used as a cure for a certain disease common to sailors and other professions, and I'll give you a hint- it was NOT for Gold Fever.

My best friend...ECS
Are you saying?...Doctors made house calls to Oak Island!

Doctor House Calls.jpg

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me thinks a certain

076db5c46f370b7f4c027e6dabde5c28.jpg

Is at it again

38257907-3d-people-winding-up-an-employee-3d-image-isolated-white-background.jpg

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is just SO MUCH distorted/wrong with the whole "gold/mercury/amalgam" loopdy-loo that I don't know how to respond...except:

GOLD DOES NOT 'DISSOLVE' IN MERCURY LIKE SALT DISSOLVES IN WATER. Neither element chemically combines with the other, neither element changes state or any property - gold is still pure, solid gold, the mercury is still pure mercury. You put a gold coin in a vial of mercury, leave it for several days-weeks-months, remove it...and you have ALL of the original coin with a thin coating of mercury on it, which when removed, will leave the original coin exactly the same as when it was put in the mercury.

"AMALGAM" IS NOT "PURE GOLD". An amalgam is simply a physical mixture or combination of different substances. Unlike a "colloidal solution" the elements DO NOT break down to microscopic size. The various ingredients DO NOT change in any way, and are still the exact same substances they were before they were combined, only now they are "mixed" - like "sand and gravel".

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of excerpts from Gold Rush Trading Post--- https://www.goldrushtradingpost.com/gold_melting_point

Gold readily dissolves in mercury at room temperature to form an amalgam, and forms alloys with many other metals at higher temperatures. These alloys can be produced to modify the hardness and other metallurgical properties, to control melting point or to create exotic colors. Common colored gold alloys such as rose gold can be created by the addition of various amounts of copper and silver.

The process of smelting gold requires a furnace, microwave kiln, or torch. Melting means to change something from a solid to a liquid by the application of heat. When the heat is removed, the melted material returns to its solid state. Its chemical content has not been changed. Smelting, however, is a metallurgical term. It refers to "burning off" the impurities that your gold might be mixed with, resulting in nearly pure gold.

Most people melt gold-bearing material in a crucible with a mixture of flux (such as silica and borax). Many natural forms of gold contain impurities, so a flux is required to collect them and remove them from the gold. Fluxes also help to hold together fine gold particles. The crucibles used for melting your gold must stand up to the fluxes being used, and crucibles made of graphite carbon are the most common type used. There are many options for shapes and molds to pour your molten gold into. Small kiln kits for melting gold found here.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
My best friend...ECS
Are you saying?...Doctors made house calls to Oak Island!
I am saying that your quote states these broken flask shards with trace mercury residue were found in a "shallow dump in Jourdey's Cove". Note the word "DUMP".
What other garbage was found in this shallow dump that doesn't fit a Oak Island treasure story?
n2mini, my other friend, was there a "crucible" found in that shallow garbage dump?

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the definition of the word crucible.

cru·ci·ble

a ceramic or metal container in which metals or other substances may be melted or subjected to very high temperatures.

So yes maybe there has been parts of a crucible found on OI. Lots of ceramic has been found over the years... and if what Robot is saying is true whoever was doing it probably would have tried to hide/bury their workings of it and or just carry it off the island with them...Hence the "DUMP" I don't know if any of that is true but nothing you have said proves it didn't happen either..

You mentioned there have only been traces of mercury found.. Of course years later there will only be traces left as while it does take a good while it will for the most part evaporate in the open air... Where you thinking it would just be a puddle of it laying around in the dirt? Back then they may not have fully known all the side effects of Mercury and would have probably just poured out what is not needed...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL.......a cable show with ratings that cannot even beat rachael maddow and robot thinks it points to evidence of treasure on hoax island.....only a lagina would apply this type of logic....

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
So yes maybe there has been parts of a crucible found on OI. Lots of ceramic has been found over the years... and if what Robot is saying is true whoever was doing it probably would have tried to hide/bury their workings of it and or just carry it off the island with them...Hence the "DUMP" I don't know if any of that is true but nothing you have said proves it didn't happen either..

You mentioned there have only been traces of mercury found...
Your and Robot's could be, maybe, what if proves absolutely nothing but just hopeful evidence to prove a pet theory.
Those who found the flask shards said there was trace mercury residue, not I, and there is NO evidence that there ever was a crucible, gold coins, or any treasure on Oak Island, BUT there was evidence there was a "dump" with all manner of debris and garbage.
Yet only these flask shards were mentioned by hearsay, and NEVER were verified of their actual existence.
Like the 90 foot stone, these shards have disappeared, and neither were ever examined by an archaeologist or historian.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well lets start there then. What all would there be uses for to have mercury around. Probably not too many Dr. on the island what could have been 300-400 years ago so doubt anyone was Dr. prescribed it for the runs...
What else would it be used for ECS. Robot has given one reason though someone did say that gold would NOT dissolve in Mercury but apparently it will based on what I posted above from The Gold Rush Trading Post..
One use I found was to be used as a detonator for dynamite..
Some did believe it was a cure all for what ails ya... but how much would one little island need if nothing much ever happened there as some thing..

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercury was common and used for quite a few things back in the day.....providing a shine on hats....injecting into certain reproductive parts to "cure" venereal disease, and quite a few others.

The presence of mercury does not prove a treasure beyond all compare was ever on hoax island...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say it did. I'm trying to have a decent conversation about it and not be running my thinking down anyone's throats.. apparently you can't do that at this point..

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just it, there are very few facts either way. which means it could go either way.. and there is no way to have a decent convo about it anymore on here...

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolute facts have shown that the oak island treasure is just a myth perpetrated by hoaxers to fleece folks out of money...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
well lets start there then. What all would there be uses for to have mercury around. Probably not too many Dr. on the island what could have been 300-400 years ago so doubt anyone was Dr. prescribed it for the runs...
Some did believe it was a cure all for what ails ya... but how much would one little island need if nothing much ever happened there as some thing..
Where was it stated that a few of the those broken flask shards that contained a mercury residue were 300-400 years old?
Robot did state that there was NO way to carbon date the shards or the mercury residue.
Creating facts from fiction again, my friend n2mini?
Up until the 1937 discovery of these broken flasks in a dump, how many people had lived/or lived of were part of a treasure hunting company that need to get rid of their everyday trash, garbage, etc?
What is a purpose of a dump?
'Nuff Said!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread