New diggers club for the Dayton Area

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
If anyone is interested, I am organizing a club for "diggers" in the Dayto area. Wether you metal detect, privy dig, dump dig etc., you can benefit from joining the club. Let me explain the benefits; Let's say you get permission to metal detect at Mr. Smith's large old farm. While you're there you notice a dump out behind the old barn with lots of rust. The "Rusty Bunch" are a group of guys who dig old beer, soda and oil cans from dumps. They soak these cans in a mild acid which removes most of the rust, often leaving some nice paint on some desirable cans. These guys would love for you to get them permission on that dump. On the other hand, the Rust guys don't metal detect, but they do get permission to check out old properties and can ask the property owner if one or two of us can come to metal detect. Privy diggers, well..........just read the journal section of privydigger.com just to see how many permissions they get. If the property owners let them dig a huge hole, they'd probably let us metal detect. Each of these hobbyists approach lots of property owners and chase lots of leeds. There will also be a website and newsletter that can attract property owners. On my website, I offer to search for lost jewelry in exchange for a detecting permission on an older property. I also run adds online, pass out business cards and tell everyone I meet about my hobby. I give presentations to other clubs including Historical Societies. I generate permissions and together we can really clean up. Sunday the 25th of January at 7:00 PM there will be a meeting at my house to discuss logistics and pick officers. So far we have 2 Rusty Bunchers, 2 privy diggers and 2 metal detectorists. I will host the website, be chairman (first year) and can be editor as well. I have someone interested in each position. If you're interested, PM me and come to the meeting.
Thanks, Steve a.ka. Daytondigger

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool! I was out of state for 6 weeks and missed your meeting but am interested. What were the results? Did anyone show up? A local club would be great!

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
GroundSnooper said:
Sounds cool! I was out of state for 6 weeks and missed your meeting but am interested. What were the results? Did anyone show up? A local club would be great!
Howdy, we had 6 people at the meeting and picked officers(3 man crew), chose the name "Dayton Diggers"(since I already have a website called daytondigger and we're all from the Dayton area), decided on quarterly printed newsletters, monthly meetings(for now) and voted on and passed a $10.00 yearly fee to cover printing costs and possibly group digs. Next meeting - 22 Feb - 7PM - 1305 Arbor Ave, Dayton OH, 45420-1908. Check out the website, http://www.daytondigger.com/DaytonDiggers.html . Join up or make the meeting.
Thanks, Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread