Post your OHIO Metal Detecting Bans/Permits/Restrictions

snyderman714

Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why it is best not to ask local authorities about legal matters. It takes time, but pretty much all municipalities have their laws on their websites, and if there is no law in effect you can hunt and they will need to make a law before they tell you you can't. Since you've already opened the can of worms you might as well go to the bottom of the can and request a copy in print of any ordinances that say metal detecting is not allowed. This may get them to back down if there aren't any real rules against it. Legal action goes both ways and if you have a lawyer in your veteran's group he could easily say he will make a case if there are no laws on the books regarding metal detecting. Good luck,, and I hope you get permission, even if you have to fight for it legally.

Hi gunsil . let me give you my experience with local authorities. I know the laws of the cities I live around and there are no laws about metal detecting. However, if you ask them they will tell you there is no metal detecting in there cities. When I ask them to show me the ordnance restricting metal detecting. they would tell me to look it up myself. I have looked them up many times and their are none . I have written permission to hunt at our local schools and i only go there on the weekends. but the police keep kicking me out. when i explain and show them that i have written permission, also when I explain that their are no ordinances restricting me, they tell me (and i love this) "because i said so". I would laugh and say OK then leave. I finally went to a lawyer and had him write up a letter explaining to the police that there is no "because i said so" law. if i had permission and wasn't bothering anybody, they had to leave me alone. They didn't like it and every time I would go there they'd stop me and ask me what I'm doing.

I hated having to go to that extreme, and have since quit metal detecting in our area. It's sort of funny when we were kids we didn't need permits, the police never bothered us, and people were very friendly. Anymore it's just turning into a hassle. Today It's almost impossible to keep track of where you can and where you can't metal detect. The authorities tell you whatever they want. Not to mention the laws are constantly change. Maybe I'm just paranoid but i would never trust what someone says about a cretin area. I would check it out myself. I live in constant fear that someone, someday (police or rangers) will confiscate my metal detector. Its a Minelab and I would hate to loose it.

PsykoPyro89

Apr 13, 2014
Grove City, OH
Detector(s) used
Cabela's Treasure Hunter Metal Detector by Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity I googled the Columbus Code, and no where in either document is there any reference to "metal detecting". As it has been stated in this forum, there are unique rules/laws that are to be followed/respected when hunting.

Haven't had any violations of these, yet. I'm sure I'll run into a disagreement, and I will be sure to post about in here.

Last edited:

cojo

Nov 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Butler County Ohio Parks are off-limits. Too bad.......... the place is a shi+ hole anyway......Metal Detecting would do it good.

tmosc

Mar 25, 2015
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to work at a small County Airport in Ohio. There were several old homesteads that were purchased and raised years ago for the purpose of the Airport and the property was fenced in. I have recently received permission from the Airport Manager,my old boss, to detect on the Airport grounds. Although I have permission this is an area that receives federal funding as it IS an Airport. I certainly would not want to break any laws due to mine or the Airport Managers ignorance. I can not find any language in the laws for Metal Detecting in Ohio that address this. Does anyone have any pertinent info for me? I'm looking for FINDS not FINES. Thanks.

natloveskara

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love up near Cuyahoga Valley parks. Too bad about them being off limits. I'd love to get in there and hunt.

Thanks for the information.

Magicman24

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I need to receive permission to detect the town square in Ohio. I see nothing in the Ohio revised code saying I have to .. I just see that public places are good to go. Can someone help?

Jimert

Mar 7, 2016
Bolivar, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Fisher F2
Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is anyone aware of any laws or restrictions in Tuscarawas County? I've done a lot of research on city and county websites, but can't seem to find any mention of detecting or digging laws in my area. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread