Post your OHIO Metal Detecting Bans/Permits/Restrictions

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I was thinking it would be good to know where we can't detect and where we need permits so we can stay within the law. I know I get out and about around the state and would prefer to stay legal than have the cops pull up as I'm digging a hole.

Metal detecting is prohibited in Bexley, Ohio parks. I recently learned that Lancaster, Ohio also has a ban on metal detecting. I read that you are supposed to have a permit to metal detect in Cincinnati, Ohio parks. I believe metal detecting is also prohibited in Shaker Heights, Ohio parks. I think Medina, Ohio parks are likewise off limits.

Metal detecting is prohibited in Ohio state parks, except sandy beach areas. Written permission must be obtained from the park manager at the state park of your choice to use a metal detector in any other park area.

Except by special permission, metal detecting is not permitted on the campus of The Ohio State University Columbus or any branches. Last I knew you could detect at Ohio University in Athens, but no digging was permitted.

Feel free to add to this thread. It may be useful if moderators can pin this to the top.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
Re: Post your Metal Detecting Bans/Permits/Restrictions

where i you find this info at... I question all of it ..........but mainly the ohio state parks???

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used

State parks:
http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/faq/tabid/84/Default.aspx
"Use of metal detectors is allowed on the sandy portion of the beach area at any of our state park beaches. Written permission must be obtained from the park manager at the park of your choice to use a metal detector in any other park area."

Ohio Administrative Code, 1501:3 Division of Forestry, Chapter 1501:3-2 Rules for Visitation, 1501:3-2-20 Metal detectors prohibited.

No person shall use or offer for use any device for the purpose of locating or removing any metallic objects or any other objects of value from any lands or waters administered by the division without first having obtained written permission from the chief of the division or authorized agent.
Rule promulgated under: RC 119.03; Rule authorized by: RC 1503.01; Rule amplifies: RC 1503.01

Ohio Administrative Code, 1501:41 Division of Parks and Recreation, Chapter 1501:41-7 Hours of Operation and Recreational Activities, 1501:41-7-08 Metal detectors prohibited.

No person shall use or offer for use any device for the purpose of locating or removing any metallic objects or any other objects of value from any lands or waters of the Division without first having obtained written permission from the area manager, except that sand beaches shall be exempt from the prohibition.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/04/2005 and 03/01/2010

As far as Bexley, I spoke to the police department and was told by the guy (since deceased) I bought my detector from about the ban.

Here is the Lancaster park rules:
http://www.lancasterparks.com/Park_Rules/RULES.htm
"Sec 25: It is forbidden to use metal detectors in any City Park"

Cincinnati (last item on the page):
http://cincyparks.com/parks-events/permits-rentals/
"• Metal Detector Permit – required in order to excavate any items from park property."

I am verifying the Shaker Heights information.

Medina parks:
http://www.medinacountyparks.com/Pages/RulesRegulations.html
"1.3 METAL DETECTORS PROHIBITED - The use of metal detectors within the confines of park property is prohibited."

I spoke with the public safety departments at both OSU and Ohio University to find out their policies. As I recall I spoke to someone at Ohio Dominican College as well and metal detecting was prohibited on their campus as well.

Another website listed these additional prohibitions, which I have not verified:
1. Firestone Park in Columbiana, Ohio
2. All parks and city owned property in McDonald, Ohio
3. Bristolville Park in Bristolville Ohio
4. City Park in East Palestine, Ohio(prohibition specifically stated on a sign at the park entrance.)

Metal detecting is also forbidden at Five Rivers Metro Parks in Dayton

And the following parks which require permits:
Lake Metroparks
Metal detecting permits are issued for ninety (90) days only. It normally takes about two weeks from the time they receive your application until you receive your permit by mail. There are areas that are restricted, please abide by their rules. Please make sure that your permits are current. Carry the permit with you at all times when detecting in the Lake Metroparks. You may mail, deliver or fax your completed use permit to this address:

Lake Metroparks, 11189 Spear Road, Concord, Ohio 44077
Phone: (216) 639-7275
Fax: (216) 358-7280

Cleveland Metroparks:
Metal detecting permits expire on December 31st of each year. This process takes about two weeks before you will receive your permit. You must request a permit by phone, fax or by mail. Restrictions also apply with these permits.

Cleveland Metropolitan Parks, Administration Office, Division of Activity Permits
4101 Fulton Parkway, Cleveland, Ohio 44144
Phone: (216) 351-6300
Fax: (216) 351-2584

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.

wow ,, ask and you shall recieve... I guess I should not be surprized,, after all we are in ohio, columbus control freaks, pass more laws to make them selves feel good i guess, HEy arent those kids on the school bus supose to wear seatbelts? oh yea that would cost the state money to install them. So we will let the cops look the other way.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

I asked the Columbus Parks director and he said that metal detecting is allowed. HOWEVER, he was quick to point out that damaging the park would be against the law. So be careful. Just because there is no law against detecting doesn't mean that there aren't laws against defacing public property or digging.

Here is the original email. If you read between the lines you can see that they aren't very happy about you detecting in the parks and will probably bust your chops if the see you. But legally they can't actually do anything about it unless they see you digging a major hole. So if you decide to do it, make sure you don't leave any traces. I also wouldn't take anything that remotely looks like it could be used to dig with. Use a screwdriver or pocket knife.

I haven't hit any of the Columbus parks yet because of the weather. But if I do I intend to take a copy of this letter along with me.

Also, make sure you understand what type of park you are in. Columbus parks are not the same as Metro parks. One is owned by the city and the other is owned by the county. I haven't checked with the metro parks yet.

Mr. xxxxxx,

We have no regulation on metal detecting in parks and therefore it is allowed,
however caution must be used to avoid any damage to the park areas and lawns
when attempting to retrieve metal objects such as coins. Columbus City Code
919.09, No Destruction of Public Property, prohibits any activity that destroys
or defaces park property. Any coin or small metallic item found on or near the
surface through careful, shallow probing can probably be exposed and removed
without any visible destruction, however anything more will likely result in
visible damage and should not be attempted. Please respect other park users and
exercise caution not interfere with other activities such as athletics and
playground use.

Thank you.

xxxx xxxx
Aquatic Administrator, City of Columbus
Department Webmaster
1160 Hunter Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43201
614 xxx-xxxx
614 xxx-xxxx Fax
www.columbusrecparks.com

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used

From another forum: Springfield, Ohio

Springfield ohio parks "we are thinking NO"
That is the response I got when asking for permission to hunt. I did my research and found the park rules and regs.

6.26 No person in a Park shall use a metal detector within or adjacent to the Park without a specific written permit from the Director.

I emailed the parks twice from there website and after waiting two weeks for a response that I did not get decided to go to the parks admin. office. I asked very politely for permission to hunt only the tot lot areas and only in the wood chips. I explained that I would not be digging anywhere else in the parks. The lady behind the counter was not sure if I could or not so she made a call to the back and said that the CEO was in a meeting and could not be bothered but his secretary said that they had a meeting on this not long ago and she was thinking NO.
I asked if there was a better time to come down and talk to their CEO and was told he is very busy and to call back later but not to get my hopes up.
They did not say it was not allowed but you need a permit, I was told by the lady behind the counter that there were no permits. In 10 years she has worked there she has never heard of a permit....

Follow-up, the original poster got permission from the CEO to hunt wood-chip tot-lots ONLY, the only "permit" is permission from the CEO.

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used

Posting to bring this back to the top. Please let me know if you have any bans or restrictions that are not listed.
Thanks,
Nick

Findone

Jan 20, 2006
COPE SOUTH CAROLINA
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT and Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We are starting, a veteran's detecting club, in White River Junction Vermont, so we called the Hartford Police Dept. (they are the law in WRJ too) to find out any and all restrictions, or laws on detecting. First they said they didn't know, so they would call back with the information.
This is what they told us the next day.
First they said there wasn't any detecting alowed in Hartford, VT.
Then she continued, you can, as long as you don't dig, you turn in everthing you find to the police dept.
You can not detect, picnic areas, school yards, parks, or any other city property.
You must not leave your holes uncovered. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
You carry out all trash you dig up. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
I think they were making it up as she talked.

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Wood County Ohio (county owned) Parks "Wood County Park District"

This is the rule. The implication is that detecting would not be allowed, but it is not specifically banned in the rules.

"1.1 Defacement, Destruction, Removal
No person shall injure, deface, destroy, or remove any part of the Park or building, sign, equipment, or other property found therein, nor shall any tree, flower, shrub, or other vegetation, or fruit or seed thereof, rock or stone rip-rap, or mineral be removed, injured destroyed, or disturbed. (2909.05)"

http://www.woodcountyparkdistrict.org/pdfs/PDRulesRegs.pdf

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to respond to your post. I belong to the Black Swamp Metal Detecting Club, near Harrod, Ohio.

We get permits each year from the Indian Lake and St. Mary's lake Park Rangers. This permit allows our club members to detect on the beaches and in the water. It's called water salvaging. There are many boat swim area's in all lakes and most of these our members are able to hunt if they like.

Over the years we have taken tons of trash out of the lakes. We usually use a five gallon bucket to put our trash in while we are detecting out of a boat. Sometimes the Park Rangers are at the dock when we come in and are amazed at the trash that we take out of the lakes.

Many times we have been called to look for someones jewelry. Of course, unless we have to dive for the item, we usually don't take any money for finding an article. If one of our members has to dive for the object, we ask for payment for the air tanks. A lot of times we are given money for finding an object, but most of the time, we just like to give it back to the person who lost the item.

A little PR goes a long way's for our Hobby.

HH, Ringfinder

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I have been detecting the Cleveland Metro Parks for years. Found lots of clad and a few older coins. You do need a permit that they mail to you. It is good for one year.

The Medina situation is a bit cloudy. I have been fortunate to get permission from the county to hunt certain parks in the county.
I showed them what I was going to do and how I covered up my little excavation and they gave me a note saying that I could hunt there. I guess you have to ask.

State parks are a no no on land but OK in the sand or in the water. If you go to the park office and ask, they sometimes will give permission to hunt land if and only if you clean up the trash you find and fill in your holes. Get to know the ranger and he can be your best path to getting permission for land hunting at the state parks.

No hunting allowed at all in the Cuyahoga Valley park. Don't even ask. I've tried and tried but to no avail.

There's still millions of other places to hunt so don't let government get in the way of hunting.

A DIFFERENT VIEW

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2010
HEY Steve from Ohio you say there are millions of places to hunt, share them with us. I agree hunting in the city parks is getting old yeah i have found some decent stuff hunted other people yards, in fields with permission, you know the usual places no metro parks they will kick your but out of there. I wish i lived in virginia and could hunt places like Brandywine farms in Culpeper Virginia that would be awesome to find civil war bullets and musket balls but i dont think we have that here in columbus, ohio that i know of.

thanks

Freth

Sep 4, 2010
A DIFFERENT VIEW said:
HEY Steve from Ohio you say there are millions of places to hunt, share them with us. I agree hunting in the city parks is getting old yeah i have found some decent stuff hunted other people yards, in fields with permission, you know the usual places no metro parks they will kick your but out of there. I wish i lived in virginia and could hunt places like Brandywine farms in Culpeper Virginia that would be awesome to find civil war bullets and musket balls but i dont think we have that here in columbus, ohio that i know of.

thanks

What Ohio metal detector enthusiasts need is a definitive list of places we can hunt, places that are open to us. I've posted on a half a dozen forums asking the same question, where in my area can I hunt. Even on a local Ohio club forum, but everyone remains tight-lipped. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to pave my own path on this and make the calls, send the e-mails. I get the feeling people don't want to divulge their best hunting spots for fear someone else might find something before they do. lol

So I'll repeat it here. I live in Delaware, Ohio and would like information about central Ohio. I don't care about Columbus per se, but more the Delaware/Marion and surrounding area. If you have any information about parks, schools, etc... places you've been do that do allow metal detecting, please post it here. I am just getting started and need some places to learn.

A DIFFERENT VIEW

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2010
hey freth, i agree with you people in this town are not helpful at all its sad to say but true. I have also tried to talk to some locals and pick there brain and nothing. So i agree with you i guess we have to do some internet research and see what we can find. Me i search school yards where kids play, city parks that are safe where you dont have to pack iron to keep from getting mugged in the park there are books at the library i read some of them and they helped a little. I guess what you have to do is join a club and find a club member who will talk. But one thing i do have to say is that if people dont start putting the divots back in the hole and cleaning up where they dug i can see it happening that city parks will ban hunting as well and we dont want to see that. I have been to several local city parks in columbus and people dont care and i dont want to see people not be able to hunt and have some fun detecting . If the tv stations find out about this next thing you know the mayor or the govenor can make this happen where you cant dig anywhere and that would be bad.

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Freth said:
What Ohio metal detector enthusiasts need is a definitive list of places we can hunt, places that are open to us. I've posted on a half a dozen forums asking the same question, where in my area can I hunt. Even on a local Ohio club forum, but everyone remains tight-lipped. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to pave my own path on this and make the calls, send the e-mails. I get the feeling people don't want to divulge their best hunting spots for fear someone else might find something before they do.

You're right, people don't want to point out their sites to others. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad apples out there. These folks just look to see where someone else is having success and then they go to the same place. Often these "poachers" also tear up a site and leave a mess. The best way to get into more sites is to be friends with other detectorists in your area and go on hunts with them. Once you build up a relationship and trust, I'm sure they will share sites with you. My friends do. I'm not going to tell anyone I don't trust about my sites, for sure. It's taken too long to discover the places I like best. One of the challenges of the hobby is that there is no "treasure map" that says "dig here"... research and hard work have gone into finding my special sites... even if they are public parks and schools.

The problem with making a list of sites you *can* hunt, is that there are tons of them. It's much easier to keep track of the bans and prohibitions, and this is what I have done on my website. It's the most comprehensive list out there for Ohio, and cites the specific laws and rules and the source of the information.

You live in Delaware, the schools and parks are all open to detecting. Columbus schools and parks are all open to detecting. There are tons of small town schools and parks around you, all open to detecting. Steve is right, there are a million places to detect in this state. But why anyone thinks someone else is going to do all the work of identifying sites for them is a little beyond me. Yes, you have to make the calls, send the e-mails and get the permissions for private property. If you don't want to do that, parks and schools still have plenty of goodies. I know, I'm out there getting them. And my sites are no secret... Columbus city parks. Large cents, Indian Heads, wheats, Barber silver, all sorts of other silver coins, jewelry. It's work to get these old parks to produce, but the stuff is out there.

There is also the Central Ohio Metal Detecting Association detecting club that meets at parks all over Columbus. A great way to get a site to hunt and to meet new people.

If detecting were easy, everyone would be doing it. You get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you do your research, learn your machine and go out often, you can make great finds.

Ghost Digger

Apr 2, 2012
Columbus
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have been doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of the old farmers from the area. What i have found is this website...Ghost Towns of Franklin County; or, The Towns Columbus Ate... It tells you where the old towns used to be in the 1800s and early 1900s... Its also got other counties around ohio on the website. I find the area and then look it up on google earth to see what all is there. So far i have been able to find a couple good areas and have done the research. A lot of these were small towns and now they are parks. Never know what you might find but its neat learning the history of the area around you live in. Im so ready to get out this year!!! Thanks

wds

Greenie
Sep 1, 2008
Owensville ohio
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker 4, BH quick draw 2,Whites 5900di, Minelab XT505
I do have a permit from the park office to detect at East Fork and Stonelick state parks in Clermont County. There are restrictions, but you can use a detector on the beaches and other areas, except the camping areas.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metro Parks in Toledo is off limits to detecting. But other parks has been Ok to detect.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are starting, a veteran's detecting club, in White River Junction Vermont, so we called the Hartford Police Dept. (they are the law in WRJ too) to find out any and all restrictions, or laws on detecting. First they said they didn't know, so they would call back with the information.
This is what they told us the next day.
First they said there wasn't any detecting alowed in Hartford, VT.
Then she continued, you can, as long as you don't dig, you turn in everthing you find to the police dept.
You can not detect, picnic areas, school yards, parks, or any other city property.
You must not leave your holes uncovered. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
You carry out all trash you dig up. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
I think they were making it up as she talked.

This is why it is best not to ask local authorities about legal matters. It takes time, but pretty much all municipalities have their laws on their websites, and if there is no law in effect you can hunt and they will need to make a law before they tell you you can't. Since you've already opened the can of worms you might as well go to the bottom of the can and request a copy in print of any ordinances that say metal detecting is not allowed. This may get them to back down if there aren't any real rules against it. Legal action goes both ways and if you have a lawyer in your veteran's group he could easily say he will make a case if there are no laws on the books regarding metal detecting. Good luck,, and I hope you get permission, even if you have to fight for it legally.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I Have been doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of the old farmers from the area. What i have found is this website...Ghost Towns of Franklin County; or, The Towns Columbus Ate... It tells you where the old towns used to be in the 1800s and early 1900s... Its also got other counties around ohio on the website. I find the area and then look it up on google earth to see what all is there. So far i have been able to find a couple good areas and have done the research. A lot of these were small towns and now they are parks. Never know what you might find but its neat learning the history of the area around you live in. Im so ready to get out this year!!! Thanks

what ive been doing is checking if the county has a gis map,geographic information system
franklin county is a little more complicated than most, but still works it will help you see,b4 you go
EX: franklin county
Franklin County Auditor Information Website
click close to where and it gives you map that you can click the building,lot ect,
goes to a pg with owner info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread