mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Perrysburg, OH it is about a hour east of me and I was there yesterday. I been trying to find if there is any city codes about detecting and can not find anything on the net. I bet it would be a great place to detect with the history it has. There is a old fort by the river as you go over the bridge. I even thought about detecting in the river.....Matt

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's a link about Asland Co, Ohio with Perrysburg mentioned. Might give you some insight of this town, where things where, who was you, etc... (page 472)
by George William Hill, Williams Bros - Ashland County (Ohio) - 1863 - 417 pages

There are three towns in the township, namely: Perrysburg, Albany, and Polk.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qx...perrysburg,+ohio&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1#PPP1,M1

PERRYSBURG.

This town was laid out October 13,1830, by Josiah Lee and David Buchanan, and was surveyed by Robert Buchanan. Its population, in 1860, amounted to one hundred and fifteen. In the census of former years its population had not been taken separately, but had been merged in that of the township. There is a Methodist Episcopal Church building in the village, and a good school-house. There is also 1 tavern, 2 stores, 1 grocery, 4 boot and shoe shops, 1 blacksmith shop, and 1 wagon and carriage shop. The name of the post-office is Albion.

ALBANY
Was laid out April 23, 1832, by Jacob Kiplinger.

POLK

Was laid out May 12, 1849, by John Kuhn. Its population, in 1860, was 116.

CHURCHES IN JACKSON TOWNSHIP.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL.

There are two in the township—one at Perrysburg and one at Polk.

The church building at Perrysburg was erected about the year 1839, as appears by the deed of Robert Buchanan to the trustees, which bears date May 11, 1839. Rev. Leonard B. Gurley was presiding elder, and Rev. John Mitchell preacher in charge. The officers of the church, when the building was dedicated, were, Henry Eldridge and Robert Buchanan, class-leaders; John Hazard, John Montgomery, John S. Bryan, Henry Eldridge, Thomas Cole, Alexander Smith, Belding Kellogg, and Ezra W. Reed, trustees; Thomas Cole, circuit steward. There were at this time about thirty-eight members. The present preachers in charge are, Rev. Philip R. Roseberry and the Rev. J. R. Wood. Class-Leaders: A. C. Reed, Henry Berry, and Samuel Berry. Circuit Steward: Stephen Cole. Trwiees: Henry Berry, William Spencer, Abner C. Reed, Chester Matthews, Jonas Wiltrout, Samuel Berry, and Stephen Cole. There are at present sixty members.

The present church building, at Polk, was erected in the fall of 1839.

The deed of John Bryan and wife to John Bryan, Shadrach Bryan, Elisha Chilcote, Leonard Richard, Joseph High, Duvid Proudfit, and Peter Bowman, trustees, is dated the 23d day of January, 1840. The preacher in charge was Rev. George Howe, of Ashland. The building was not formally dedicated, but the first sermon was preached by Rev. George McClure. John Bryan was class-leader, and William Millington, of Ashland, circuit steward. When the church building was erected there were about sixty members. The trustees, in 1862, are, Samuel T. Urie, Shadrach Bryan, William Ruffcorn, Daniel Brown, John Chilcote, John Gordon, and Stephen Barrack. The class-leaders are, William Ruffcorn, Stephen Barrack, and John Howman. Circuit steward, Shadrach Bryan. The membership for 1862 amounts to fifty.

The church, at Polk, when the building was erected, was attached to the Ashland circuit, Mansfield District; and the church at Perrysburg belonged to the Congress Circuit, Wooster District.

GERMAN REFORMED AND LUTHERAN CHURCH.

This union society, composed of members from Orange and Jackson Townships, was organized in the winter of 1829-30. The original trustees of the church were, John Keen, Sr., and John Kuhn. Rev. Henry Sonedecker was the pastor. The membership amounted to about forty. The first church building, constructed where Polk now stands, was commenced in 1827, and the first services were held in the building in the summer of the following year, although the society at this time was not formally organized. The members from Orange Township subsequently withdrew and formed a distinct society; and, in 1840, the Jackson Township Church erected the present house for public worship, half a mile west of Perrysburg. The building is 35 by 40 feet, and contains seats for three hundred persons. The German Reformed pastor is Rev. E. T. H. Whaler; Michael Bower, elder; and Jacob Kiplinger and Jacob Hines, deacons. The number of members is about fifty. The Lutheran pastor is the Rev. Mr. Voglesang; Samuel Bennage, elder; and Abram Bennage and David Holmes, deacons. The membership amounts to about fifty-five.

Snowbarger's Meeting-house

Is situated on the south line of Jackson Township, about half a mile west of Lafayette, upon land purchased for the purpose by John Snowbarger. The building had been some years previously erected by the "seceders" as a house of worship; but was abandoned by them, and afterward occupied as a dwelling. Mr. Snowbarger donated the building for the use of the German Baptists, of the Ashland and Mohican Districts, on the 29th of September, 1856. Both the Mohican and Ashland Districts held meetings in this house. The building will seat two hundred persons. [Further information relating to this church will be found under the head of "German Baptists, or Tunkers."]

UNITED BRETHREN.

This denomination organized its first "class" in Jackson Township, in September, 1860. In 1861, under the name of "Otterheim Chapel," a church building was erected near the southwest corner of the township. The size of the building is 30 by 36 feet, and will accommodate with seats about two hundred and fifty persons. The preacher in charge is Rev. Mr. Crubaugh, assisted by the Rev. Mr. Dillon.

GERMAN REFORMED.

This church was organized March 30, 1851, under the pastoral charge of Rev. Joseph M. Dixon. Original trustees, Jacob Kiplinger, Adam Lover, and Daniel Stick. Elder: Henry Kiplinger. Deacons: John Kauffman and Peter Frantz. Number of members, twenty-nine. The church building, 35 by 45 feet, was erected in the summer of 1851.

Rev. D. R. Moor is the present pastor; John Heif- ner, elder; and Samuel Fluke and Henry Wicks, deacons; William Davidson, Samuel Fluke, and Henry Wicks, trustees. Number of members, fifty- two.

TOWNSHIP OFFICERS FOR 1862.

Clerk, Isaac Holt—Trustees, William Berry, J. Wicks, and John Russell—Assessor, John C. Horn—Treasurer, John Keen, Jr.—Constables, Jonathan Buzzard and Joshua Rickel.

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE IN JACKSON TOWNSHIP SINCE 1831.

1831. John Keene, elected.
1831. Michael Debolt, elected.
1834. Michael Debolt, re-elected.
1834. Thomas Smith, elected.
1835. Philip Shntt, elected.
1835. Robert Buchanan, elected.
183T. John Keene, re-elected.
1838. Robert Buchanan, re-elected.
1840. James Gnlbertson, elected.
1841. James McCoy, elected.
1842. David Young, elected.
1844. James McCoy, re-elected.
1845. James McCoy, re-elected.
1846. Christian Fast, elected.
1846. John Keene, Jr., elected.
1848. James Stephenson, elected.
1849. Philip Shntt, re-elected.
1851. Joseph C. Bolles, elected.
1851. Charles Hoy, elected.
1852. Jacob Fast, elected.
1854. Joseph C. Bolles, re-elected.
1855. Jacob Fast, re-elected.
1857. Joseph Bolles, re-elected.
1857. Jacob Fast, re-elected.
1860. Edward McFadden, elected.
1860. Jacob Fast, re-elected.

Other books about Perrysburg...

Page 368: http://books.google.com/books?id=Q5...tory+of+perrysburg,+ohio&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1

Page 133: http://books.google.com/books?id=DR...rrysburg,+ohio&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1#PPA133,M1

Pages 224, 225, & 261: http://books.google.com/books?id=xj...rrysburg,+ohio&lr=&num=100&as_brr=1#PPA224,M1

Hope these help if it's the history you are looking for....
Annmarie

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to ind out if there is a city code about detecting in the parks and public places. I wa in the park yesterday and there was no signs there saying no metal detecting allow. But some time that don't mean anything. So I was trying to find out about detecting there. Thanks for the other information....Matt

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
info
and thanks ron an ann

Wood County Parks
Metal Detecting Rules

Times and Locations

Metal Detecting is only allowed during open hours and dates. For park areas, these dates are May 1st to October 31st from 8:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m., unless otherwise posted.

Metal Detecting is prohibited in all campgrounds unless prior permission is given by the Camp Ranger or Park Administrator.

Metal Detecting is prohibited at Powers Bluff County Park.

Metal Detectors shall respect other park users. Detecting should be limited to low use times at the beaches, boat landings, and other areas within the park.

Other Rules

A reasonable effort should be made to return items of value or significance to its original owner. The Park and Forestry Department would assist you in this process if you desire.

All excavations must be returned to their original condition.

Metal Detectors are subject to all rules and laws regulating conduct on County property.

** Violators of these rules may be asked to leave County owned property, and may be subject to fines and forfeitures.**
http://www.co.wood.wi.us/parks/reservations.asp

OP
OP
mlayers

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank you for the information. So now I know what I can do. Hope to be off the Perrysburg next week end....Matt

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Those rules posted above are for WISCONSIN, not for Wood County, OHIO. As far as I know, detecting is allowed in Wood County, and I have heard of no bans or restrictions other than the usual State park restrictions. If there is such a ban or restriction, please let me know.
Thanks!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Thanks for clarifying. It seems that County owned parks and Metroparks tend to be restrictive in Ohio in general. They do not specifically prohibit detecting, which is a good sign. Locals will know if detecting passes the rangers or not. Some places it does, others it does not. Depends on the interpretation of the rule and who is interpreting. Better to play safe than sorry and keep the detector in the car in county owned parks until you know for sure. City parks and schools should still offer plenty of places to detect though.

Jun 22, 2009
Matt,

I happen to live in Perrysburg. Lots of history here. Ft. Meigs, from the war of 1812 is here and cool place to visit. I know of some families who live in the neighborhood that backs up to the fort. Several have found things in the ravine behind their homes. Don't get caught detecting on the fort property, it is a big no no. Not sure of any laws regarding detecting in the city. I have seen indian artifacts found in the area near the Maumee River. My friend had lots of aarow heads that were found on an island in the river. I have always wanted to go the this island (Missionary Island), but have never gone. Actually, Missionary Island is closer to Grand Rapids, Oh, just upriver of Perrysburg. My dad also knows the guy who owns the property that runs down the west side of Ft. Meigs. He has given us permission to detect it. Just waiting to get over there, and to get a better detector.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting... I am headin up that way with the wife in a couple of weeks. Her parents live on a Quarry in Stoney Ridge and I just bought a PI dual so I can hit the water. Cool thing about up there is there are old places in Florida theres a house every 50 feet built< 10 years ago... I know I wanna hit the old school house the wife went to and the old Church across the street from them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread