Updated! Ohio Metal Detecting Laws by County

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I wrote a number of letters and am updating my site containing metal detecting laws, permits and prohibitions as I receive replies.
http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/ohio-metal-detecting-laws.html

If you know of any Ohio restrictions, rules or prohibitions not listed, please let me know.

Knowing these laws keeps us legal, and can be the first step towards lobbying to get them overturned or modified.

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Thanks for the update. I live in Columbiana County and plan on looking for hunting areas around Salem, Winona and the Lisbon area. Haven't charted anything out yet, but plan on seeing if I can hunt some older home in those areas. Wonder if I need to contact the schools in each district or do they fall under the city? Love hunting old football fields and surrounding areas.

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
tinkb said:
Thanks for the update. I live in Columbiana County and plan on looking for hunting areas around Salem, Winona and the Lisbon area. Haven't charted anything out yet, but plan on seeing if I can hunt some older home in those areas. Wonder if I need to contact the schools in each district or do they fall under the city? Love hunting old football fields and surrounding areas.

Schools are overseen by the local Board of Education. I know of no public K-12 schools (colleges, private schools and religious schools not included) in Ohio (as yet) that are definitely off limits. If you want to be sure, a call to the local Board of Education (or the local police dept) would be in order, but I'm guessing you will have no problems as long as you do not interfere in any school activities. I have seen many football fields that are specifically off limits, gated and locked. Use care in digging athletic fields, especially in this hot and dry weather. Coaches and athletic directors do not like holes or dead grass in their fields and it's a quick way to get a "Metal Detecting Prohibited" sign posted on the gate to the field.

Best of luck to you and if you run into any problems or restrictions, please let me know! :)

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
you list Ohio University as being off limits... this isnt true.... I have a buddy who has a permit to hunt there.. just cant do it when school is in session and has to log finds of value... I had an invite to hunt with him there, but never got around to making a date.... just thought I would add this

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
minton7 said:
you list Ohio University as being off limits... this isnt true.... I have a buddy who has a permit to hunt there.. just cant do it when school is in session and has to log finds of value... I had an invite to hunt with him there, but never got around to making a date.... just thought I would add this

Thanks minton7, I will note that a permit is required for now. Last I talked with the security department I was told no detecting, but this was several years ago. I will check into it. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread