piqua ohio

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Iwannafindsomething,
We used to get points and srtifactys by alum creek and darby creek try those places when the weather is nice.

acevilllav

Blitzz2

Jan 2, 2007
Shoot, seems ev1 is from southern Ohio here ;)..im up here in Toledo, well really Sylvania..city of trees..I post over on collectors universe but cant seem to remember my password :-[..and have been following some articles on here with fascination.

Well I detect quite often here, still no silver, but quite a few wheaties and about 5 rings..I use a Whites classic XLT, and A Prizm lll...really like em both but I GO down south quite a bit and would love to get a water detector lol..any1 else from up this way?

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. New to posting on this forum, but have been reading it for some time.

Mike, live right close to Col. Johnston farm. I have permission to hunt an adjoining field. Take heed— do not hunt the Johnston farm land, or the canal which is owned by the state defined its working boundaries of the where the canal boat rides still take place. The land that once held the Fort Pickawillany site was purchased by the state of Ohio as recommended by an Archaeologist who couldn't find the site, but instead an 80 acre plat that he believed held the Fort. The farm itself, of course is off limits.

The fort was believed to be at the confluence of the Miami river, and the Loramie creek. The confluence would mean somewhere around where the two meet in the middle of the river, which does hold a small patch of land. The state couldn't own that patch of land. A friend of mine who lives just a short walk to this confluence,( a quarter mile), said he had found a cannon half buried in the ground, unconfirmed by me, for he wouldn't divulge the spot which he had wade in to.

Also have permission to hunt the old grain mill on you speak of on Landman mill road, as my Aunt owns the property giving me exclusive rights to hunt. The mill that is next to the lock, and adjoins the north branch of the canal, which is also on her land. I would welcome a hunting partner should they be mindfull of proper recovery of anything found. By that I mean propper digging techniques and trash removal etc. What is found is the finders.

Behind the mill building, long closed, and in a bad state of repair, heading south toward the Johnston farm the canal is dry, and walkable, but with some brush etc. Haven't scratched the surface of that, but will in the spring.

I'll list my Yahoo addy, as it doesn't come to my regular server. [email protected]. Anyone wanting to hunt in the spring can contact me. I would take two others at a time, and make a list of those who want to go in other weekends.

There is a load of history about The French camping close to the Fort, and Johnston farm on the farm land I am able to hunt. This site was of course the site of the first battle of the French and Indian war. It has long been thought by many relic hunters that one must head south for battlegrounds. Many of the early wars between British and French and Indians took place, here.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm like that.

Kas

P

pickaway

Wow sounds like some great places!I'd sure like to check it out :o

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome to come along in the spring. Don't know where you're located, but we can sure set it up.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the e-mail, Pic, and Mike.

If the wheather keeps up this way, even though it's Jan, and the ground isn't frozen yet, we can go a huntin' the next good Sat. Mike, if you're in Huber, you're just a stones throw away.

Ken

warwagon72

Aug 17, 2006
Hamilton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Sunray DX-1, 9.5, 6X10, 4X6 coils. Bulls eye backup
kas,
I'm just down the road a little farther. Hamilton. Can I get in on this also? I understand a crowd is crowd. ???

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warwagon, Absolutely.

I don't think three of us could manage to hunt a hundred acres, (at least), so four of us, now set for the first trip, pending the right weekend or wheather, and who can show up, will give it a go.

The four who are interested in going might like to read this, or anyone history hungry.

http://www.tdn-net.com/tdnadmin/tdnhtml/html/genealogy/stories/hist1909/chap-02.htm

It is long, but you may understand more about the hunt area. The farm land that we'll hunt, I'm sure, was part of Johnston Prarie at the time. The mill to be hunted is close, real close, to the old fort site.

So when we four agree to go, we'll do it.

Kas

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
kas - I am in huber and like I said in the email I am ready to go anytime~! I dont do much detecting around this area, i go to my brothers about every weekend and Him and I hunt places around there but I would share any of our hunts with you, I do have one in this area that i am researching, a lady told me about it but I can not find anything about it, if its true it should be awesome... will let you know

Mike

O

ohio Bill

THAT AREA IS FULL OF HISTORY A COUPLE OF GOOD BOOKS TO READ ON THE AREA IS ONE CALLED SIMON KENTON HE WAS A FRONTIERSMAN IN THE DAYS OF DAN BOONE ANOTHER BOOK IS CALLED THAT DARK AND BLOODY RIVER BY ALLAN W. ECKERT GREAT BOOK. BLUE JACKET WAS ALSO IN THE AREA HE WAS A WHITE MAN THAT THE INDIANS TOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR HIS BROTHERS LIFE WHICH HE KILLED IN BATTLE UNKNOWINGLY THERE IS A BOOK CALLED TECUMSEH A SORROW IN OUR HEART BY THE ABOVE AUTHOR GREAT READING AND WOULD BE SOME GOOD HELP TO THOSE OF YOU IN THE AREA THEY TELL PRETTY GOOD DETAIL WHERE SOME MAJOR AND MINOR BATTLES TOOK PLACE AND WHAT THE TOWNS ARE NAMED NOW AND WHAT THEY WERE NAMED THEN HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU FOLKS

curbsweeper

Jan 10, 2007
castle rock co
Detector(s) used
vaquero
Hi all. If you need another this spring send an email my way. I am getting ready to order the ace 250 for my first. Sounds pretty interesting. I live in Licking County. If I can make it I will be there.

P

pickaway

Kas,It will be awhile before i might make it out, being ?I have tuesdays & wednsdays off.Have anyone of you MD it yet? Good luck and again thanks for the kind offer. Ron

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, haven't gone, just waiting on the weather now.

P

pickaway

How much silver you find Kas?
Figured you might have went out during this brief thaw.

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, I'm just east of Piqua about 10 miles. Never thought about hunting that spot. ANyone know if it is allowed? We should get together sometime and do a group hunt somewhere.

Relic-Hunter

Mar 10, 2007
North East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign, SD2100, SD2200d, Whites XLT, and others
Ahh, Piqua. I am sure I could get permission to hunt somewhere of interest. Buried deep in the piles of my stuff, I reecall a map showing a lot of the detail. I was quite sureprised by the extent of land that was occupied in the early times. It would be a great place to hunt for fur trade items and other artifacts.

I have been wanting to hunt out that way for a long time. One day I'll retire and make it ;D

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a great thread as I grew up in south Columbus and hunted for artifacts all along the Scioto River in my younger days. Alot of arrowheads and a few axes/celts to boot. Never got into metal detecting but it sounds like alot of fun. Good memories all around!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread