piqua ohio

indiantrade

Feb 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's 5900, Fisher 660, Garret
I guess what I should be saying is, well my best friend which is also a relic hunter, I showed him these posts and he had a cow!! He thaught the posts that everyone had was awesome. And that it was so cool to hear of other people detecting. But yet he doesn't want me to advertise what we had the good furtune of finding. He said before I know it people will be knocking at the door. Bugging and pestering every other day. I quess he's right, that possibly could happen, but he needs to just relax a little. I tried to explain to him that he enjoyed the stories that this forum has shared so why shouldn't people enjoy the stories we have???
What's so good about having these items if you can't share it with other interested hunters. I mean that's what this forum is about sharing the skill and techniques that people have learned to other interested hunters. Hey, I guess this question would be a good Title to a new post.
"To share or be sellfish"

I'm sorry guys, I have allot to show and share with the experience that I have and I know that allot of you would benefit from my experience. I promise that in the upcoming days I will talk to my buddy some more and try to explain to him why and how this site is beneficial to all of us.

Truly sorry,

IndianTrade

Ohionewbie

Oct 22, 2006
First and foremost I would like to say I was very interested and quite jealous of the pics you had posted. I had asked you before about the big circular object with the two holes in it in your second pic but got no response(it honestly looked to me like it was a turtle shell hair decoration but I highly doubt it). My main concern was about the beads and any other Native American relics you may have found. I have always heard that these objects were to be returned to their respective tribes under penalty of law. I respect the Native Americans and that of thier history in the area but if I were to find relics of that kind I would most definately like to keep them in my collection. I dont know if any of this pertains to your situation, just a comment.

indiantrade

Feb 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's 5900, Fisher 660, Garret
The large circular object is a round Silver gorget, with a bird cutout, usually they are in the shape of a half moon, worn just below the neck.
The Beads... Just like when Kas took the guys to the farm looking for items... Whenever you know that you are on a site just don't rely on your detector. Keep an eye out for the non metallic items as well.(Pipes, gun flints, pottery etc) The beads that were in the picture are all found seperatley and restrung, just keep your eyes open while detecting the fields.
As far as ownership.... Just make sure that you always have written permission to detect from the land owner. In my case my best friend ownes the property.
Indiantrade

Ohionewbie

Oct 22, 2006
Hows it going everyone? Once again Ive been without a comp for a few months and havent been keeping track of this post. Fortunately for me neither has anyone else it looks like. lolI have the next month off work so if anyone needs a hunting partner for any adventures, let me know, Im all for it. I was wondering if anyone had visited the Garst Meseum in Greenville or read anything in the paper about it? They have a new exhibit they opened there on April 20th that is all about Fort Green Ville and the Greenville Treaty. VERY intersting stuff. They have a huge collection of artifacts that includes arrow and spear points, tomahawks, bullets, cannon balls, cannon, buttons, coins, gun remnants, old documents, effigy pipes, and even parts of a mammoth skeleton they found in a field in Ansonia. A metal detectorists dream come true. All the artifacts besides the skeleton were found in Greenville. Now if only we could get the same clearance to hunt the city and find what the archaeologists found. lol I highly recommend anyone with a love of history to visit the exhibit. I went the first day it opened and my jaw dropped at the things they had. The bad thing about going the first day was that you had a time limit of 12 minutes in the exhibit to let everyone get in. By the time I got around the idiots just standing there and talking and the ones who would stand in front of the displays without regard for anyone else my tour was cut to around 8 minutes. What a crock. lol Well, like i said if anyone needs someone to tag along in the next few weeks, Im game. Happy and prosperous hunting to everyone.

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in piqua ohio

I recently joined the metal detecting family. :laughing7: Went out yesterday and detected a little. I'm just learning. Got some interesting junk. Got a nice sunburn too. Ouch! :icon_sunny: OhioDeb

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 232

AfterShock95

Mar 31, 2013
Elba Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in piqua I would try around Harrison and water street . We lived in a house that's no longer there when I was a kid we found all kinds of arrow heads and an old penny the house in no longer there but I'm sure no one would mind if you gave it a shot and also the first homestead in piqua was built around Harrison. And water street

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am down the road from Piqua. No detecting anywhere in Miami County unless you get permission from a land owner. Piqua was built on Indian mounds. Across from Johnson Farm there is a big rise of land. This is where the Indians lived. Like 10,000 of them. Can you imagine? Your best bet is to go door knocking. They are putting in a new Water Treatment Plant northwest of Piqua. Might be able to ask the workers if you can detect the dirt piles. Magnet fishing would be interesting. Grab a boat and go down the river. There is suppose to be a Canoe launch along the river near Troy. Relics/arrowheads? Good luck.

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there was a General from I think Detroit came down to Ruddles Mill in Ky. Burnt everything, killed and captured a lot of people. They then went back north and passed near Piqua. Had a battle. Look up Ruddle's Mill Massacre.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread