OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
no replies after a couple of weeks?? where is all of the ohio people?? i though this might atleast get a conversation going with some ohio folks! I know it is a park now but there is lot of private property around the area not to mention the river, creeks etc. I am sure most have read about the lost gold that was supposedly burried at the fort before they got attacked?? the canal also ran through the area, a few miles north of of the old farm there is a huge barn that sits right next to the canal that looks to me maybe old enough to have been a store during the time of the canal.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
We're here ;) I got my firdt gold in june gold ring w 4 small diamonds. Looks like a cool site. I live in london and work in columbus. I used to live in Miamisburg so kkind of close to you. Looks like a great spot to detect if we are allowed any ideas about the regs for that location? Let me know maybe we could check it out there are a few other people @col on Tnet

Keep swingin amigo 8)

Acevillav

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
mike28,

looks like it would be a good hunt if you can get permission to hunt filed behind the old fence. it should not be to hard if the filed is not in seed. All you have to do is ask.
HH, Don

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
i live in Huber heights and drive to columbus every day myself, recently got transferred, the dayton facility is shutting down.

I should have been more specific, this is a historical park? believe state ran but the point i was trying to make or to see if anyone on here has hunted the area. there is a LOT of history in this area including the old canal, indian battles, fort etc. this area has had some serious traffic since the late 1700's and there is a LOT of privately owned land around it, i was curious if anyone had hunted the area at all, never really thought about a group of us getting together and trying to get something going but that is a good idea and possibility, I was mostly just trying to get some conversation going about ohio ;) but i would love to meet some people from ohio and the area for a hunt sometime.

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
mike28,
What kind of detector do you have? I'm in Ohio as well. love get out to hunt. Historical park is a no go.but the area around the park would be good too.
HH, Don

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
i have a whites xlt, thats why i started the thread, get some people from ohio talking, i have been on here two years and have yet to meet up with someone from ohio and do some detecting

Ohionewbie

Oct 22, 2006
Hey, how's it goin everyone. I too live in the Dayton area Mike and grew up in Huber Heights. I'm new to metal detecting so I don't have much experience. I haven't been through Piqua many times and not too familiar with the area but like Don said, detecting around it might turn something up. There were 3 Shawnee sites with the name Piqua in the 1700's. I'm not exactly sure where they were located, but if they aren't already taken by the government you may have luck with them. There's also Chillicothe, which is presently known as Old Town right outside of Xenia, that was the principal village of one of the septs of the Shawnee. There are a few tales I've heard about that and Clifton Gorge. Thought that info would be interesting. But, anyway I wouldn't mind doing some MDing with some seasoned pros. Don't get out much so I need to learn how to make the most of my time. lol Well take care everyone.

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
ohionewbi, I have heard the storys of old town also and I believe ALL of that is private land, I drive through old town almost every sat. lot of farm fields, Next time I drive through there I will take some pictures of the road markers and fields, it is along the river also, at sometime i would love to hunt both around old town and Piqua, both have a lot of history and although Johnston farm in Piqua is a park, like I said before there are is a lot of private property surrounding it including the river, creeks and part of the old canal can still be seen ( just north of johnston farm that wouldnt be park, there is a lock still somewhat in tact.

Ohionewbie

Oct 22, 2006
Hey, Mike. Yes, I would be quite safe in saying that the land around Old Town is private and is being used for agriculture. It still doesn't hurt to ask the person who owns it if there is a way you could scour the area, especially after the crops have been harvested. The area of the old village I would like to MD currently looks to be a riverside grouping of trees and not in the actual field. Maybe I would have better luck that way seeing it wouldn't harm the field.

warwagon72

Aug 17, 2006
Hamilton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Sunray DX-1, 9.5, 6X10, 4X6 coils. Bulls eye backup
mike28,
I'm down southwest ohio, Hamilton. Still looking for some people to detect with. Have been asking lot of places to hunt but have been turned down. Sticking to schools right now. Getting a little cold.

pastfinder2

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2004
Athens, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX,Tesoro Stingray II
I live in southeast ohio. There is a lot of areas here to hunt. not much trouble here with hunting on public property. Not sure where piqua is. Don't have a map handy. Met 1 person in this area so far.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
There is a HUGE beach a CJ brown res in Springfield. Maybe all of us could hook up and hunt it in the spring ? I am in London @ 20 min from Spring field. I know wher ethe Gander mountain is in Huber heights I work at the one in Hillard are you close to that area?

Ace villav

warwagon72

Aug 17, 2006
Hamilton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Sunray DX-1, 9.5, 6X10, 4X6 coils. Bulls eye backup
;D Beach hunt sounds good. When do we meet. If it stays warm like this week. I'm headed out tonight to check out the school up the street.

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
ace, yeah I live right down the road from the gander mt. in huber, maybe 5 min. away?? I work in columbus and pass by london every day. My brother lives down by wilmington so I get around this part of the state pretty good, columbus, dayton, wilmington

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Mike 28 /Ohio Newbie - Guys, sounds cool. I work in Worthington at Anthem BCBS and Gander mountain in Hillard. Not sure how long the weather will hold out but it would be cool to get everybody together to hunt the cj beach got to be some loot there $$$ ;D How have you guys been doing this year ? I got a few silver rings and 1 gold w\diamonds :D tons of clad and tons of tirnkets (costume stuff kids charms)? Let me know and if the weatehr holds out a little longer maybe we could all hook up .

Ace villav

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Came across this post and took notice because another paratrooper in my old unit was from Piqua . Don Helton . If anyone knows him kindly tell him that "Bergie" is looking for him . Anyway , you guys live in a historically rich area . At one time that was part of the Northwest Territories . Only the brave ventured there . The odds of finding old coins and other artifacts are very good . Hope you get permission to hunt lots of places .

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Hello guys i retired from Champion Papers / Smart Papers now in Hamilton 5 years ago.was there 35 years..i sure miss MD up there.lots of good spots Oxford area!!!!

P

pickaway

Im in Ohio.Pickaway county between Circleville & Ashville.I was just MD in downtown Columbus yesterday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread