GOLD in trumbull county ?

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
Are you talking about panning or sluicing. I say give it a shot you might just find some, we did in Crawford county Pa. I cant think were Trumble is right now but I know there was a GPAA claim in Ohio.

Pete

OP
OP
tommyd

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
crawford pa wow - what did you find ?
theres a little creek that has carved out a valley that i am going to hit this summer when i can get into the water and hit the sides with my mder.
thanks

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
tommyd said:
crawford pa wow - what did you find ?
theres a little creek that has carved out a valley that i am going to hit this summer when i can get into the water and hit the sides with my mder.
thanks
tommy
Mostly all we get is very fine specks, we did find a larger piece (still very small) by crushing up pieces of quartz and panning that out. My daughter and I go out just to have fun and play in the creek. We just started last year and weren't able to spend a lot of time doing it, hopefully this summer we will. We did join the GPAA and there is a claim and chapter not to far from us you can get a lot of info from them. There are two chapters in Ohio one in Bellville and one in Lucasville you can check them out at www.golgprospectors.org
I believe starsplitter is correct it is mostly placer deposits left from glaciers. I have found maps on the internet of the glacial till which is were the glaciers came through, that is where you want to go. I know it was in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I don't think you will find much in the way of gold with your detector it is usually to fine to detect but you might find some deposits of black iron sand which is associated with the gold because it is heavy. If there is any gold you will find black sand also but just because you find black sand doesn't mean you will find gold, if that makes any sense.
Any way have fun! If you have any questions just ask.
Pete

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.ohiooutdoorsman.com/Claims.html

Here is the link for the places in OHIO that gold has been found,

You can join the club and go on hunts all summer long.

Pictures show what you are likely to find after a long day and weekend of hunting.

OP
OP
tommyd

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
thanks ~ according to those maps its not looking good here in trumbull county.
i appreciate that imformation - thats going to save me atleast 1 afternoons time for sure.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Hey Tom, If gold is your thing I'm sure if you left posts around some of the Hot spot states, you'd find someone who'd be willing to take you in for a week and maybe teach you the ropes maybe even share a good spot or two. The people here are real friendly. You'd probably even find enough gold to offset the cost of your trip out there. ;)

OP
OP
tommyd

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
well i have watched gold fever and all the mining shows on the outdoor channel and have seen those trips. the main reason is out back of my house theres about 30 acres of woods with a large valley cut through it. has a creek of flat rock stone and many eddys (sp)
a neighbor of mine had seen me playing around with my detector one day and told me about the spot. he said he always wanted to pan for gold back in that area and that i should try it out - i thought what the heck ? but if my odds are nil on not finding anything at all i will just go with that. the same area however yielded me a set of rr keys !
that were identified by people on this site. 2 summers ago. : )
i wish i knew the story behind those keys. :D

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
tommyd
I say get your self a pan and give it a shot. It is pretty cool when you find something.
If you do get a gold pan and want to practice first just use some lead shot you can paint them a bright color then count how many you put in and mix them up with some dirt sand and gravel and pan them out in a tub of water. When you can keep them all in the pan your doing good. It is also kind of neat to order some concentraits from someone
that has gold in it and practice panning that. My daughter and I did that too.

Pete

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, I would go back and at least do some test pans. Just because no one has spouted off about finding gold in your area does not mean they have not! Let's face it if you found gold in the creek behind your house would you tell everyone about it? :) I just did some panning in the creek across the tracks from me and although I only got to do a couple of test pans so far there is black sand present. That is at least encouraging.

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Tommy, I grew up not to far from trumbull in Salem, Ohio which is Columbiana county. I read somewhere not to long ago that they found diamonds in Mahoning County which is in between. I think it was Beaver Creek and I also read that some fine gold was found. Not sure which city you live in but Warren is only 1/2 hours from Salem. Do some internet searches on Minerials found in these counties. I its Beaver Creek, I used to trap and play in that Creek. Now I wish I have done found minerial hunting.

I libe in Oregon now which is good and bad. The good, there alot of gold out here and pretty close to me. The bad, Ohio sure has some great Mding areas as well does Pa.

OP
OP
tommyd

tommyd

Dec 12, 2006
YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
damn thats why this site is number1 thanks. i will try. get my hip boots or sneaks on this summer. spray down for ticks and get in there and do some panning. the spot is so nice just to look at. it looks like you are up in the mtns somewhere. you could skate across the flat rock covered in fine green algae - smoot as glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread