Ohio School property

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
As far as I know it's a public palce I stick to the wood chips and ball fields. Catholic schools may be considered private. This is just my exp not leagl advice

Acevillav

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow, ball fields? I received permission from my son's school principal, vice principal and even my son's guidance counselor (also sports man)...they said we can hunt anywhere on the schools property, but we could NOT dig on the ball fields. Concern was for the kids out there playing and getting hurt in the soft ground where the dirt was lose from digging.

TMC, I just went directly to my son's school and asked. They were very nice about it. Even though it's public property, I still wanted to ask...so hopefully this weekend will be warm and I will be out there (of course, not during school hours!) By the way, I'm in Virginia. Not familar with Ohio laws....GOOD LUCK!!!

Look forward to seeing your findings.

OP
OP
GroundSnooper

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I don't detect on the ball field but along the fence line and the gravel around the concession stand. The concession stand is my biggest find.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was told to always do where everyone sits (Bleechers), that is the first place I will hit this weekend (provided the weather gets warmer and it doesn't rain) :)

They said we could detect all the way up to the school bldg, but I don't want to mess up there pretty flower bed areas :)...but I may run the detector through it...just to see :)

Oh, we don't have a concession stand :(...so I guess the bleechers will be my hot spot...I hope.

Good luck...hope you find lots of nice things! Do you know how long the school has been there? The one I am doing was built in the 70's...was farm land prior.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most schools do give permission. Just ask someone, Principle, grounds keeper, School district administrator. Schools are not public areas. Especially when you dig. You will get a big suprise if you don,t get permission. Most will let you, some won,t, some don,t care. It is just too easy to send an email to a principle. I have sent about 12 emails to principles. 10 Ok,s, 2 no replies, one replied in 5 minutes. Talk about efficiency. None said no.

Ed D.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The schools here (Va Beach) are public domain, from what I was told from someone on the School Board as well as the City Office when I called about metal detecting in the Va Beach area. Guess it just depends where you are from and/or with whom you talk with. But I still ask that particular school anyways, just to CMA!! HH all....

OP
OP
GroundSnooper

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
I was told to always do where everyone sits (Bleechers), that is the first place I will hit this weekend (provided the weather gets warmer and it doesn't rain) :)

They said we could detect all the way up to the school bldg, but I don't want to mess up there pretty flower bed areas :)...but I may run the detector through it...just to see :)

Oh, we don't have a concession stand :(...so I guess the bleechers will be my hot spot...I hope.

Good luck...hope you find lots of nice things! Do you know how long the school has been there? The one I am doing was built in the 70's...was farm land prior.

Unfortunately at this ball field the bleechers are blacktopped, but I have checked a lot of the grass around there and all along the walk paths. That is probably the best place for me so far next to the concession stand.

On the school, one of them is well over 60 years old and another probably 50.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called the maintenance director of my school system.

He said go for it.

Of course I follow the rules of digging to the letter.

OP
OP
GroundSnooper

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as a follow up, I received permission to hunt the school properties during the summer season, or at least in closed session times. I just emailed the school superintendent.

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
I have emailed several of the Principals and superintendents here in my area about hunting. When I get a email back from then okaying me to hunt that school I make a copy and put it in my wallet when I go on that property now.

I ran into one guy last year that runs a summer baseball league. They used the baseball fields for non-school baseball leagues in the summer. I was searching the area behind the bleachers that was pretty worn down and bare of grass. He came over and said I had to leave the school property because it was against their policy.

I had the email with me with the principals name on it saying I could hunt during the summer and on off hour school time. Guy said he didn't give a rats a$$ what I had I had to leave or he was calling the cops. I figured this guy was going to be there all summer and it is my main hunting area behind my apartment. So i told him to go ahead and would show them the paper. I did leave shortly after that so as not to ruin any chances to come back.

The school and my property share a 500' fence and work together to keep it maintained. I made a call to the school and told them about this guy throwing me off the property. I got a phone number to a direct line for the security company to call if it happened again. Was told this guy had no authority to throw anyone off the property and he would be confronted about it.

The real kicker here is, his guy did seem concerned about people digging up his bare dirt piles or ruining the lawns. But later that day I seem him a couple other guys chipping golf ball of the plush 50 yard line on the football field. They were taking out chunks alot worse ten me popping coins out with a screwdriver.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick to your guns and call him on his bluff, TinkB.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinkb,

The only thing better than verbal permission is written. You are in the right, push it next time, if needed called the police yourself. You are right the other guys is wrong. Don,t come to blows but you are right, don,t back down.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread