Gold In Ohio

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
A few days ago at work (I work in a coin and jewelry store), a guy came in to sell some gold flakes and a few small nuggets. Nothing too exceptional, mostly placer-like, but he did leave with a $800 check. He was in a hurry, so I didn't get a chance to talk to him much, but he said he regularly finds gold in Delaware and Knox counties. Sounded like Knox county has more. He said that there's gold to be had, but not many people know about it or where to look, and they who do know, keep it a secret.

soooo.......Anyone know where this is? Where one could go panning for gold around these parts?

iwannafindsome

Sep 11, 2006
columbus ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm v
i saw a post about someone finding gold in knox or delaware on a gold panning site.dont remember the site or where they found it,but i remember they said they parked at a mcdonalds or taco bell and the creek was rite behind it.and they said they found some in paint creek in chilicothe.

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Thanks for the reply. It may sound inconsequential, but your info may help someday when I get around to trying to find some gold. It's the hunt that I find most thrilling, and little clues like yours add up! :)

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you a member of GPAA? If not join, GPAA has 3 claims in Ohio that produces gold. Once a member you can go there for free.

flyinpig

Jan 10, 2007
just an fyi...

I have been working on 161 around New Albany/Newark and a fellow that works there has been doing a little panning on his lunch break and has found a nice little vial.

Keep in mind some areas are under construction, please do not enter the areas or you can be fined for trespassing'.

Adam

GroundSnooper

Mar 10, 2007
St. Paris, Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, MXT, GMT. Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had all kinds of intentions to pan this summer and never got it done. Spent to much time teckin. :D

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Jeannette, PA (Westmoreland Co.)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished watching a segment of "Gold Fever" on the Outdoor Channel, and they were in Ohio. they mentioned alot of Counties, almost all the Counties in the Southern part of the state. This has something to do with the Glacial Drifts 14,000 years ago that pushed gold down from Canada. Do some research on Glacial Drifts for the state of Ohio and this shall help you. I am dying to go panning in the near future. We can hook up, but beware that I am a Pittsburghian.......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to what I saw on Ohio Glacial Drift Gold,

You don't Dig in the Creeks, unless you have a Dredge
because the Clay Bottom could be Several feet down.

You find a Gravel Layer on the Sides sort of Sandwiched between the Clay
and Dig the Bottom of the Gravel where it lays on the Clay.

I'm glad I saw that show. I would have tried Panning the Creek Gravel :P

Attachments

• !!QWE001.jpg
    !!QWE001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 13,187
  • !!QWE002.jpg
    !!QWE002.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 12,905

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pictures of where the gold layer may be. These type images really help when you have "the" fever. Did you ever try using a metal detector along the rock-clay layer shown in the picture.

I joined GPAA last year and found the people very friendly. I have mined the claim just south of Mansfield. Some found a few flakes, then winter set in before I had a chance to mine the sites closer to me in Dayton.

Terry

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
fiatboy said:
A few days ago at work (I work in a coin and jewelry store), a guy came in to sell some gold flakes and a few small nuggets. Nothing too exceptional, mostly placer-like, but he did leave with a $800 check. He was in a hurry, so I didn't get a chance to talk to him much, but he said he regularly finds gold in Delaware and Knox counties. Sounded like Knox county has more. He said that there's gold to be had, but not many people know about it or where to look, and they who do know, keep it a secret.

soooo.......Anyone know where this is? Where one could go panning for gold around these parts?

The Kokosing river in Knox county has gold in it.
-Swartzie

Sluice hunter

Greenie
May 29, 2012
Huron Co, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Jetco Treasure Hawk. Trying to get a real one!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys should try the Swank Claim in Bellville/Butler Oh! I take the family there lots of weeks ends to pan and Sluice in the Clear fork river. Its a really nice place and if you're a member of the GPAA you can camp for free!

Ashley

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon all!
I have some rocks with gold suspects in them, does anyone know where I can have them processed? (I'm in Columbus) Also: I think there's other stuff in there too like mercury, antimony, arsenic (yuck) and silver. Hooray for Canada, I guess. :) Thanks all.

Sluice hunter

Greenie
May 29, 2012
Huron Co, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Jetco Treasure Hawk. Trying to get a real one!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do the rocks look like Ashley? A lot of times it can be pyrite or something that looks similar.......but sometimes not!! do you have an photos? How did you find them?

hodginsa

Jul 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is a bit dated, but... Just yesterday I found one speck(literally) of gold in this river.

40.459509,-83.074539 - Google Maps

Me and my friend gathered about half a painters bucket full in various places just to see if there was anything. We took from the inside curve of that bank where the rocks are. My homemade sluice was left at home because I found the curren't wasn't good enough to separate, and my sluice kept floating!(work in progress). But it works well at home, so I brought the bucket bucket and raw unsluiced material(only classified to 1/4") home and sluiced it in this. (video was from another time, its since been improved a lot.

Anyway, I don't have any pictures of the speck of gold I found, but I can get one later. I know its just a small piece, but I'm just excited cause it was my first real finding and it was a location I just scoped out on my own.

For anything real to be found a dredge is definitely needed there. I'm not even sure if we dug deep enough to reach clay. Some chunks of dirt looked like clay, but it wasn't solid like most clay is. but I'm slowly learning, and making my own stuff(made a hand dredge but it too needs improving).

hodginsa

Jul 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried the flats just south of the 229 bridge?

M

I have not. Just started doing this recently!

There is an overwhelming amount of land there, I wouldn't know where to start

Unfortunately I'm moving back to Ontario this week, so my Ohio prospecting will be put on hold unless I come down to camp or something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread