Detecting laws

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are no ordinances prohibiting detecting on city property then it's fine so long as you don't cause any damages (fill your holes) and don't leave any trash behind.

When it comes to public schools, they are considered private property and you technically need to get permission from the superintendent.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Does anyone know the laws about detecting in Mansfield Ohio I can't find anything and have never hunted parks or schools and would like to try it. Didn't know if they had laws against it?

I'm assuming you're talking about city property in that vicinity. Right ? As opposed to county, state, or federal, eh ? And you say you "can't find anything" in the laws about it. So that would make it "silent on the subject". Hence not dis-allowed. So I don't understand your question. If there are no laws prohibiting, then presto, it's not prohibited.

But be aware: This isn't to say that someone couldn't still gripe on other grounds. Because they think you are about to "leave a hole" or "take valuables" or "harm earthworms", blah blah. So, like nose-picking: You pick discreet lower traffic times, to avoid busy-bodies. Our hobby has connotations after all. Well, at least in nicely manicured turf. Also: Avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments (whether or not you "see a rule").

You are NEVER going to see "express allowances" in this hobby. Ie.: signs or rules that say "metal detecting allowed here" type thing. Hence if it's silent on the subject, so-be-it. :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... When it comes to public schools, they are considered private property and you technically need to get permission from the superintendent.

Huh ? Not sure how you come up with that. Is that just an Ohio thing ? Here in CA, public schools are ... doh ... public. Oh sure, they have the obligatory fences around them, and the obligatory "visitors check in at the office" signs. But they are hunted routinely. There's usually a turn-style opening, or permanently propped open gate. And ... so long as you pick off-hours times (Sat. PMs, etc...) you're fine.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh ? Not sure how you come up with that. Is that just an Ohio thing ? Here in CA, public schools are ... doh ... public. Oh sure, they have the obligatory fences around them, and the obligatory "visitors check in at the office" signs. But they are hunted routinely. There's usually a turn-style opening, or permanently propped open gate. And ... so long as you pick off-hours times (Sat. PMs, etc...) you're fine.

I thought the same thing, it's a public school so it must be city property, but I found out via a police officer (before going in the property) that the school district, not the city itself that owns the property therefore it's technically private property even though it's a 'public school'. It's very confusing but they aren't like parks in that they are not open to the public.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=public+school+private+property&pc=MOZB&form=MOZMBA

[One of my hunting buddies is a retired police officer)

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....that the school district, not the city itself that owns the property therefore it's technically private property even though it's a 'public school'. It's very confusing....

Ice-wing, perhaps it can get into a muddied mess of public vs private. I don't disagree. And perhaps the same can be said of CA. I can think of a rodeo grounds I grew up near, that was "leased" (for $1 p/year) to some sort of board of directors association. Hence "private". But ... realistically speaking (in practical application), sort of different. Ie.: it never stopped anyone from md'ing there (so long as you weren't a nuisance, wearing neon orange).

So for schools, not sure about your area, but where I'm at: It would not be uncommon to see someone jogging the track, shooting hoops, flying a kite, walking their dog, etc... DESPITE EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING. So, despite such legal verbiage, .... as long as no one gripes, and as long as a gate is open, then ... it's hard to find someone to say "scram". Just depends.

If some school has experience vandalism, theft, perverts, etc... then perhaps they might enforce or "shoo people away". Maybe I'm just not skittish enough, but .... I detect schools. Oh sure, if a cop or school person said something, I would give lip service and move on though.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ice-wing, perhaps it can get into a muddied mess of public vs private. I don't disagree. And perhaps the same can be said of CA. I can think of a rodeo grounds I grew up near, that was "leased" (for $1 p/year) to some sort of board of directors association. Hence "private". But ... realistically speaking (in practical application), sort of different. Ie.: it never stopped anyone from md'ing there (so long as you weren't a nuisance, wearing neon orange).

So for schools, not sure about your area, but where I'm at: It would not be uncommon to see someone jogging the track, shooting hoops, flying a kite, walking their dog, etc... DESPITE EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING. So, despite such legal verbiage, .... as long as no one gripes, and as long as a gate is open, then ... it's hard to find someone to say "scram". Just depends.

If some school has experience vandalism, theft, perverts, etc... then perhaps they might enforce or "shoo people away". Maybe I'm just not skittish enough, but .... I detect schools. Oh sure, if a cop or school person said something, I would give lip service and move on though.

I was just trying to be factual in that legally they are private property and the rules are different than on "City of ____" property like parks. Enforcement is a different subject entirely, kind of like abandoned home sites ;)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Enforcement is a different subject entirely, ...

Exactly. Some things in life are like jay-walking or spitting on sidewalks. You and I can "fret ourselves silly" trying to get everyone to approve of and bless such actions. Or we can wake up and realize that .... sometimes ... you go by "actual reality".

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really should check into it yourself....But! If nothing has changed in the past few years? There never was any that I know of before. No to State parks, except beach areas. Other parks probably depend.
I was just in Mansfield this summer!:thumbsup:

Schools?

I've detected every school and ball field I could find. Not once was I chased out.

I lived in the Akron/Canton area when I was detecting a lot.

Just don't be the clown trying to detect during recess or during a sports game. :laughing7: You would think most guys would know this but...You would be surprised! I'm sure your allowed , but that will get you disliked in a hurry. Just sit and wait till everyone clears out then you will have the whole place! We use to go first thing Sunday morning or late in the evening when everything was empty.

Some are even lit up at night pretty good, but times have changed fast in recent years and probably not good to hang around at night. Even though we have gone at all hours in the past since they were lit up so well. Never had a problem or ever questioned.

The best place is on the center line for soccer or football. That's where you will find quarters from the coin toss.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... I've detected every school and ball field I could find. Not once was I chased out. .....

And most guys would take that as a "green light". Ie.: you can't argue with success, right ?

Sort of like the logic of: If you walk through NY Central park, and see the pond where scores of RC control boat enthusiasts are sailing their little toy boats: Then a rationale person makes the assumption "it must be ok". Ie.: he would never say to himself : "Gee, is what they're doing legal?". Because it's just assumed that if these persons do this every Saturday for the last XX decades, and no one says anything, then presto: It must be ok. In fact, he would never even wonder such a thing.

SO TOO SHOULD IT BE WITH METAL DETECTING: If any long-time locals have never had an issue or problem, then .... one should assume it must be ok. Because I have seen cases where it's ok (never even dawned on locals that it wasn't). Yet it just took one person to waltz into city hall to "get permissoin" or ask "Can I?", and .... find someone to tell them "no" . And ... odds are, whomever told them that was just giving the safe answer, and the thought probably even never occurred to them.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really should check into it yourself....But! If nothing has changed in the past few years? There never was any that I know of before. No to State parks, except beach areas. Other parks probably depend.
I was just in Mansfield this summer!:thumbsup:

Schools?

I've detected every school and ball field I could find. Not once was I chased out.

I lived in the Akron/Canton area when I was detecting a lot.

Just don't be the clown trying to detect during recess or during a sports game. :laughing7: You would think most guys would know this but...You would be surprised! I'm sure your allowed , but that will get you disliked in a hurry. Just sit and wait till everyone clears out then you will have the whole place! We use to go first thing Sunday morning or late in the evening when everything was empty.

Some are even lit up at night pretty good, but times have changed fast in recent years and probably not good to hang around at night. Even though we have gone at all hours in the past since they were lit up so well. Never had a problem or ever questioned.

The best place is on the center line for soccer or football. That's where you will find quarters from the coin toss.

Ohio state parks it's legal to detect the sand on the beaches without a permit, all other areas require a permit which can be obtained by going to the state park office and asking for one. They expire on midnight Dec 31st of the year you were issued one.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... all other areas require a permit ....

Seeing as how you're from Illinois, I'm assuming you've gotten those "permits". Question for you: In all your years of md'ing, were you ever "carded" to show it ?

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohio state parks it's legal to detect the sand on the beaches without a permit, all other areas require a permit which can be obtained by going to the state park office and asking for one. They expire on midnight Dec 31st of the year you were issued one.

Is the sand/dirt above a flowing river/stream considered "sand on a beach"? Beach is defined as "the part of the shore of a...river... washed by the tide or waves." So it sounds like that would qualify, but does the state have a different definition? Beach | Define Beach at Dictionary.com

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Is the sand/dirt above a flowing river/stream considered "sand on a beach"? ...

Do you think anyone is really there splitting hairs on where the beach "ends" and the land "starts" ? If so, sure: Bone up on legaleeze . But I wonder if anyone is really out there measuring lines or cares less, in the first place ?

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL The reason I ask is because I am a lawyer and some people really do split that hair (annoying to no end). But honestly I am a complete newbie when it comes to this hobby and have no idea how strict some people are.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
LOL The reason I ask is because I am a lawyer and some people really do split that hair (annoying to no end). But honestly I am a complete newbie when it comes to this hobby and have no idea how strict some people are.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. Well, if you're a lawyer, then perhaps your brain is hard-wired to fret about such things (or envision that other people fret about them). But .... I highly doubt anyone is going around with a measuring tape, disputing the different of whether soil is composed of sand grains (hence "a beach") versus where it turns to terra firma.

Kind of reminds me of a city that dreamed up a "permit" to be issued for md'ing. One of the provisions printed on the back of the card was something to the effect of no digging deeper than 4" (or something like that). I had to chuckle, wondering: "Gee, is there really a person who follows you around measuring the depth of each hole you dig ?" haha. I dunno about you, but if I'd reached 4", and my sunray pinpointer was screaming "silver" at 1 more inch ..... I wouldn't stop digging.

Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. And don't be on nice manicured turf when busy-bodies are out and about.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
So I should shy away from my neighbors lawn and the golf greens? :laughing7:

Yup :laughing9: Oh and one more law you should be aware of : You are required to send me 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal. :headbang:

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup :laughing9: Oh and one more law you should be aware of : You are required to send me 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal. :headbang:

Hmmm I wonder about detecting in the sand traps ;) Heck I HOPE I find enough that I would be able to pay that "royalty".

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing as how you're from Illinois, I'm assuming you've gotten those "permits". Question for you: In all your years of md'ing, were you ever "carded" to show it ?

I am from Ohio and yes I have been confronted by one of the state park rangers at my local state park. I knew the rules better than he did. In the Lorain county metro parks I hunted a couple years ago and was told by a park ranger that detecting was illegal and that I could keep my finds, but had to leave. I searched for the rules of the metro parks and metal detecting is permitted with a permit yet they do not give you any info on how to obtain a permit. Heck you can't even navigate to their rules on the Metro parks home page. I had to use google to find the rules. There permissions are granted for a day at a time and only the hours you request. I normally ask for permission to hunt from 8am to 5pm. The rangers come looking for you since they are sent pdf copies of the permits for their areas of responsibility.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread