Highway rest stops

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I passed a rest area out in the boonies today on what was once a major highway until the interstates got put in. It's still an active rest area but is little more than a place to park and stretch your legs. There are no bathrooms, vending machines, water fountains, or even buildings. Just an older shelter house and a few picnic tables. Does anyone know if it's legal to detect these? There are no signs saying you can't, so I'm very tempted to go with the old "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" routine. I really can't see the police doing more than asking me to leave. I figured I'd ask here first though and see if anyone knows for sure.

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be careful digging around trees. A rest stop with out a restroom is better than pooping your pants.

fanninm59

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
1. Harbor Freight 9 function. 2. Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a expert but aren't these public areas? I'm sure if you ask someone in charge the answer would be "no". But I cannot see a trooper arresting or fining anyone without giving a 'warning' first. They have bigger things to worry about. Besides, if they came up to me as I was detecting, I'd say I lost a money clip the week before and was searching for it. Gives them a reason to leave you alone and gives you a reason to be there with a detector.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say go for it, I have hunted a couple, never found a silver, but did pull some clad and a few wheats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread