Mudhouse Mansion .....Lancaster Ohio

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Mudhouse Mansion is located outside Lancaster, Ohio.

Mudhouse Mansion is one of Lancaster's most famous abandoned places. It was built sometime between 1840-1850. In 1919 the property was sold to Henry and Martha Hartman. Henry Hartman died in 1930 and the property was inherited by Lulu Hartman-Mast, his daughter. Her descendents still own the land today. Jeanne Mast is the owner and she definitely will press charges if you enter without her permission.....and I would advise having it in person or taking her with you. Too many ghost hunters....but she might be swayed by a handsome Metal Detectorist...... ;)

Please remember that this house is on private property...that means you should try to get permission before visiting it. If you don't have permission, it's considered trespassing and you could face fines or jail time.

In 1839 and in 1852 Christian and Eleanor Rugh purchased the property from Abraham Kagy and Henry Byler. The year it was built is uncertain, there are reports that it was built in the 1840's or maybe around 1900. The house was sold to Henry and Martha Hartman in 1910. When Henry Hartman died in 1930, the property went to his daughter and is now owned by the Mast family.

Mudhouse Road was named for the first brick-and-mortar building in the area; the old Mudhouse Tavern used to stand where Zane's Trace crossed Mudhouse Road. The property was purchased in two parts, in 1839 and 1852, from Abraham Kagy and Henry Byler, by Christian and Eleanor Rugh. When was it built? One says it was constructed in the 1840s, another that it went up in 1900. Another clue comes from the architecture, which includes a second empire mansard roof. As you can see here, such roofs were common during the Ulysses S. Grant administration--1868 through 1877. Of course they could have put a mansard roof on it two weeks ago; it's just a clue. No matter when it was built, the house and property was sold in 1919 to Henry and Martha Hartman. When Henry died in 1930, the property went to his married daughter Lulu Hartman Mast. Today the Mast family owns the land

http://www.graveaddiction.com/mudhouse.html
http://www.ohiotrespassers.com/mud.html
http://www.forgottenoh.com/mudhouse.html

As always....Seek Permission

Attachments

• mudhouse5.jpg
    mudhouse5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 6,114
  • mud01.jpg
    mud01.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 9,301
  • mud04.jpg
    mud04.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 7,792
  • mud07.jpg
    mud07.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 14,560
  • mud08.jpg
    mud08.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 23,689
  • mud09.jpg
    mud09.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 19,681

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I talked with the owner of this property at length...she was very stern... NO DECTECTING,... any tresspassing will get you arrested! She asked that people leave the site alone.... she has already had many many people arrested for being there....so I thought I would save anyone else the time and hassle of trying to hunt there

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I removed the directions from this house and hope that no one will trespass . This home is privately owned and not abandoned as some might think. Because of its history and fine architecture value I chose to leave this thread up.

PRIVATE PROPERTY .....................STAY OFF

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one neat looking house.. I read all the postings about it..and the links... kinda weird that there is still furniture n personal belongings left inside it... makes ya wonder why someone left it like that so fast?? Maybe the ghost stories are true... but on the other hand, its a shame Ms. Mast is just sitting on the property.. would be neat to see a old home like that brought back to life..

thanks for sharing this one Gypsy

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
It is an absolutely beautiful home ,great bones,solid,wonderful detail...just the type that would be a fabulous renovation project.....wish it was closer because I would be the first in line .....I do hope that someone saves it.

Beks

Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact information for the ownder

I talked with the owner of this property at length...she was very stern... NO DECTECTING,... any tresspassing will get you arrested! She asked that people leave the site alone.... she has already had many many people arrested for being there....so I thought I would save anyone else the time and hassle of trying to hunt there

I have no interest in trespassing or disturbing the site in any way. I only a desire to learn about the history and at most, walk the property and take some pictures. Other people who has talked to her have said she was actually very pleasant with those who just wanted to hear the history and appreciate the architecture. Do you have the contact information for the owner? How did you originally get in touch with her? Thanks!

mamma7

Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The items was left in there because Mrs. Mast huband died due to the black mold in the house. Her oldest son went in there and got a desk and put it in his home and he passed away also due to the mold. This is why she does'nt let anyone in the home. My husband knows the family and she wont even let me on the property to take pictures.

Pixiebow

Mar 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder why it wasn't tore down and why there were no other reports of others getting sick? When was the last you spoke with Mrs. Mast?

The items was left in there because Mrs. Mast huband died due to the black mold in the house. Her oldest son went in there and got a desk and put it in his home and he passed away also due to the mold. This is why she does'nt let anyone in the home. My husband knows the family and she wont even let me on the property to take pictures.

Leatherneck19

Jul 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not true. Her son died of heart attack in 1999 at 32 years old while bailing hay at a neighbors farm. It's in his obituary. Other son is well alive.

Leatherneck19

Jul 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is not true. Her son died of heart attack in 1999 at 32 years old while bailing hay at a neighbors farm. It's in his obituary. Other son is well alive.

hoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2011
licking co. ohio
Detector(s) used
whites
living in pleasantville at the time , many years ago . i was friends with mr. mass and hunted the property from the windows of the old house many times . the mansion was taken down this past summer .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread