New member - newbie to metal detecting

skyhead

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
Hello, I'd like to introduce myself and ask a couple questions if I could. My name is Dave and I live in northeastern Ohio. I just bought a tesoro compadre which I'm hoping will help me learn this new hobby. I've had the detector one day and have dug about 8 holes in my back yard, I have found plenty of foil items, a part of an old chisel and 1944 wheat penny. The wheat penny made me very happy. so I might be hooked already.
The holes I dug look pretty bad, it took quite a few times for me to actually dig one 5 inch plug and find my target directly under it. I was using a hand garden shovel so I think my first purchase will be a better tool like the garden buddy? at Loews. I want to be sure before I leave the yard Ican dig a hole properly. I don't want to tear up someone elses property.

Ok, so where do I start looking, no beaches here, Schools, Can I look at metroplitan parks?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
DAve

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. A wheat on your first day is a good start. I'm not familiar with your detector so I can't help much there. Most parks are open to hunting but some municipals don't allow it. You might want to check it out. Schools, soccer fields, ball fields would certainly give you a lot of practice. Of course for old targets you need a location that had activity back in the 1800's. This usually takes research and permission but sometimes pays off with great finds. There is quite an active group of MD'ers in NE OH so you may want to watch this forum for some of them.

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
Hey. Welcome to the hobby.It is very addicting.
You mentioned your holes looked pretty bad.I was also worried
last year when I got my detector and you started where I did,at home.
I found that the cheapest way for me to leave nice holes is to use some kind
of knife to cut the sod in a circle,then use a small tool to pry out the plug.
My prying tool is an old gasket scraper with a screwdriver handle and a dull bit end.
If my target is not in the plug,I use the scraper to loosen the soil,then pull out dirt
a handful at a time and scan it with the coil.
There are many tools on the market for this purpose,and some are on the pricey side,
but I can't bring myself to pay for those until my detector is paid off by finds.

Good luck and have fun with this hobby.Every target is a piece of history.
Paleo10kbc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions