Oberlin Treasures???

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Starsplitter, Just to the south of Oberlin near Wellington comes this story. Securities and currency to the value of about 70,000.00 all moldy with age had been discovered in an old safe belonging to the three Meach brothers. For more than a quarter of a century (this article was written in 1907), the Meach brothers lived in this house. It was known that they were possesed of large wealth. About three years ago they had an attempted robbery committed on them. Jarvis Meach shot two of the robbers. The others were caught and sentenced to the Ohio state penitentiary. When John Meach died a few weeks ago, he was the last of the Meach brothers. They had many distant relatives. There was an old safe on the property that caught the attention of some relatives and an attempt to open it. However, failing to open it they had an expert from Cleveland come down to try. He succeeded and in old rotting pocketbooks were found bank notes and mortages amounting to nearly $69,000.00. Many of the bills dated back to war time. No gold was discovered but it was known that John Meach had exchanged several hundred dollars in bills for gold shortly before his death. Starsplitter, the opening of the safe had brought to light a document signed by the Meach brothers. Years ago in their youth, at the time their parents died, they all agreed never to marry, to live together in the farmhouse and save their wealth, each for the other so that it would never pass from their hands until the last one died....

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
I've done a little googling... the property is still in the family and has expanded to more than a thousand acres (under trust which is great). I am wondering if the original farmstead is still there? Of the original material I've found, none of it mentions gold, etc. - only the robbery attempt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread