Tres Piedras in Cimmaron Co.

SEHunter

Feb 13, 2009
Not that I'm anywhere near the panhandle and could do it myself, but this looks like one that someone would actively be persuing. With 4 markers and what seems to be the endpoint of a long trail of arrow markers, I can't believe I don't hear more about this one. Maybe I'm just not educated enough on the site, and there is no access, etc. but I really liked the history behind it and how it can be corroborated through letters and signs that still exist.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
SEHunter,
I'm a bit lost on your comment. To what are you referring?
Actually, I just returned from Cimarron county, Black Mesa country. Dug a little flint and looked at some petroglyphs. Vast barren country, but a lot of mystery and history in that big bold country.
Thanks,
docmann

Attachments

• Mntn View.GIF
    Mntn View.GIF
    482.3 KB · Views: 1,255

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
SEHunter,
I heard this story for the first time on Monday of this week by the fellow guiding me through the Black Mesa area. Wow, what a coincidence. He is a local teacher and farmer, and like his father, grandfather, and great grandfather, he has lived in that area for his entire life. His great grandfather was reportedly the first white child born in Cimarron county (I imagine that it wasn't Cimarron county at that time). Nonetheless, this guy is a realist and pretty concrete. He discussed the elements of the story as if they are indeed fact. In fact, he says there is a German fellow that comes out every 3rd summer or so, and continues to search for the treasure. Two points you mentioned that are correct. The marks still currently exist (or at least some of them do), and there could be an access problem as even with the little bit of artifact hunting we did, my guide made several calls (we didn't have any problem, though, probably because he knows just about everybody west of Boise City).
At any rate, I thought it was quite a coincidence hearing this only this week and then seeing your post. I'll attempt to talk to Ron, my contact in that area, and dig a little deeper. If access is available, and your feeling froggy enough, we might be able to put you in the middle of all of that. However, a man needs a big lunch bag and a large jug of water for that Godforsaken piece of the world.
Thanks for the reference, and I'll stay in touch on this one.
docmann
PS: I've included a photo of my friend (guide), and his son. In one of the photos, they are examining remnant stones of a teepee ring, in the other, there descending "Workshop" mesa.

Attachments

• Workshop.GIF
    Workshop.GIF
    336.5 KB · Views: 1,191
  • TeePeeRing.GIF
    TeePeeRing.GIF
    360.8 KB · Views: 1,138
OP
OP
S

SEHunter

Feb 13, 2009
Thanks docmann, that really is cool that all this came together like it did. If you find out anything let me know. That's a pretty good haul from here, but I'd love to at least see the markers if I could. Thanks again and keep in touch.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an area i need to visit someday.

Fossis................

Shott1970

Dec 12, 2007
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Well, heck if you guys are serious and if someone knows where the markers are and could gain access I would love to throw my name into the mix, I do enjoy the outdoors and a good treasure hunt.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Shott,
As I mentioned to SEHunter, I'm only new to that area. I thought it quite a coincidence that the man guiding me around the Black Mesa area had just told me about the gold and about the of the folks who still yet go out and pursue it. The man I'm referring to has a lot of land up in that region himself, but none within the target area. He does know everybody and every fence post in the area, and he had gained permission for us to hunt on a number of places when I was there. I'll attempt to sort out just how difficult it would be to gain access to those specific places. If anybody can, I would suspect he might be the one as he has lived there his entire life. I'll keep you and SEHunter informed when I know anything else about this. Likewise, if either of you have any further information, please advise. I will say, however, that area is strange. We crossed cattle guards and followed dirt roads that went for over 20 miles. Moreover, you're never very far from Colorado, Texas, and New Mexico at any given location. The mesa's pop up in the landscape at random, but many are treasure troves of flint and artifacts.
It's an interesting place to visit, especially if you've never been there.
See ya,
docmann

Attachments

• BlkMesaLandscp.GIF
    BlkMesaLandscp.GIF
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,042

Ger-man

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2010
Speyer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello "docmann",

I am the "fellow" from Germany. Yes, I visited several times the locations since 1974 and I have much informations. I am further more intersted in the TPG. I would be nice, if you will take contact to me.

Ger-man

docmann said:
SEHunter,
I heard this story for the first time on Monday of this week by the fellow guiding me through the Black Mesa area. Wow, what a coincidence. He is a local teacher and farmer, and like his father, grandfather, and great grandfather, he has lived in that area for his entire life. His great grandfather was reportedly the first white child born in Cimarron county (I imagine that it wasn't Cimarron county at that time). Nonetheless, this guy is a realist and pretty concrete. He discussed the elements of the story as if they are indeed fact. In fact, he says there is a German fellow that comes out every 3rd summer or so, and continues to search for the treasure. Two points you mentioned that are correct. The marks still currently exist (or at least some of them do), and there could be an access problem as even with the little bit of artifact hunting we did, my guide made several calls (we didn't have any problem, though, probably because he knows just about everybody west of Boise City).
At any rate, I thought it was quite a coincidence hearing this only this week and then seeing your post. I'll attempt to talk to Ron, my contact in that area, and dig a little deeper. If access is available, and your feeling froggy enough, we might be able to put you in the middle of all of that. However, a man needs a big lunch bag and a large jug of water for that Godforsaken piece of the world.
docmann
PS: I've included a photo of my friend (guide), and his son. In one of the photos, they are examining remnant stones of a teepee ring, in the other, there descending "Workshop" mesa.
docmann said:
SEHunter,
docmann

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell O Fellow Treasure Hunters, This Tres Piedras has captured my interest for some time now. I have been devoting my time to the Lost Dutchman Mine, and the Peralta Stones, and didn't have time to focus on it. I had read about it some years back and I was very intrigued to say the least. Just yesterday morning I searched for information on the Tres Piedras for the first time on these forums. I first searched under Treasure Legends Oklahoma, needless to say I was disappointed to read that it has already been found, at least that's what member Okietreasurehunt claims. He claims to know the man who found it and has no reason to doubt his story. Ger man, could you shed some light on this matter? I assume you have close relations with the ranch owner. Thanks, Homar P. Olivarez

Ger-man

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2010
Speyer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Homar P. Olivarez, Hello SEHunter

was the first visit of the USA and from Boise City for me and my girlfriend. I had studied some years about the localities of the treasure "Tres Piedras". I visited the „Strong Ranch “and the owners at that time. They were very friendly and gave me a lot of valuable information (the today's owners I do not know). The family Strong told to me that after the publication of the history, many 1000 Treasure Hunters searched the land around the mountain "Sugar Loaf" with detectors for gold. Besides, they also dynamited the peak of the Sugar Loaf (this was absolutely unnecessary!!) and annoyed the farmers.
Then I got to know the farmer Leroy Hand who searched the treasure since many years. Nevertheless, he was always unsuccessful. Since a few years I have lost the contact with him. He was more than 60 years old even then and has maybe died. He told to me a lot about the treasure. He had very good contacts with the farmers and might enter their land. I visited the markers and did photos and took notes.

My second visit in Boise city. Again I met Leroy who had no luck again with the search for the treasure. I corrected some notes with my GPS and did other photos. At this time, I already had a good theory on the position of the treasure, but no answer of the puzzle.
Then in 2004 I bought from the USA, Satellite Maps of the area North of Boise City for a lot of money. For me there was only this possibility to explore the area more exactly, because a trip in the USA is very expensive. To my astonishment I had to find out that the Satellite Maps did not agree at many places with the Topographic Maps. It took several months to correct the topographic maps.

In 2005 I prepared an expedition to Boise City. To my astonishment, there were there many new fences and the owners of the land had partially also changed. My equipment weighed 30 kg which I had to carry many miles, because with a car I could not drive on the land. I could do many measurements and then I broke off the trip, because I could not manage alone the problems.

In the early 2008 I did another expedition. Now I could limit 3 possible places where the treasure could be buried. Again there were new fences and again there were massive problems with the farmers whose land I wanted to enter. I had to stop the expedition. I could confirm my theory with measurements. I threw away many parts of my equipment because the back transport would have become too expensive to Germany. Meanwhile the stones had also become overgrown very strongly and could be found only with the GPS.

Result:
After knowledge and interpretation of all facts, I hold the chance that the treasure is a fact for 99.9%. After many conversations with farmers and inhabitants of Boise City I come to the end that the chance that the treasure was already found for maximum 10%. Because of the answer of the puzzle is very very difficult.
Even if one knows the secret of the stones, is the biggest problem, the approximately place of the gold. The people who had buried the treasure knew of course the nearly place and could find the treasure with the help of their first secret – the markers. The approximately place was their second secret which only they knew. Nobody can start the search only with the Markers - without knowing the rough place. Difficult to understand, I know :-)
The area is about 160,000 000 square meters (40,000 Acre) include hills and canyons. A person with a metal detector needs 500 years - and he may do no mistake!

I can disclose a secret: On the SUGAR LOAF nobody will find the treasure!

I know the place within a small area. In addition I have studied 20 years of Topographic Maps, Satellite Maps and previous measurement data and have made out many calculations.
The biggest problem shows the approval to be able to enter the land some days undisturbed. My partner, since 2008, has written many letters to the farmers and the American Authorities had practically no results. Some farmers are co-operative. Two farmers give no more permission to enter their land.
For me and my partner only the third secret is important: How we can enter the land and have no problems - with the laws of the USA or with the farmers.

P.S. We search somebody who is realy able to take professionally contact with the farmers and to do the correspondence with the American Authorities. May be he knows some one (lawyer?). Either as a partner or for money.

See u Ger-man

Attachments

• SL Pfeil.jpg
    SL Pfeil.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 903

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hallo Ger-man, Sure enjoyed your input into this subject. I too believe the treasure is still there waiting for us. It's because of past treasure hunters who have used dynamite, littered, trespassed, or left gates open that makes it hard for us today. I hope your metal detector is strong enough, it would be easy to pass the treasure if it is out of your detectors reach. That rock you're standing on sure looks like a nice place to get a signal. I do hope you find someone to help you with a good lawyer, and I do hope you get a strong signal some day. Ihr Freund, Homar P. Olivarez

Steward

Dec 13, 2010
I am an adventure film producer developing a new cable series. I have chosen the Tres Piedras Treasure as my pilot episode. I have been researching the story and will be in the area prior to the New Year for initial filming and to establish "contacts." I am VERY interested in speaking with ANYONE with knowledge of the area and/or insight to the story beyond the readily available eg. this forum, Steve Wilsons work, the US Treasure Atlas books, True West Magazine etc. Ger-man I am referring to you! An "authority" is essential in this process. Also, any ideas on Lopat's family... I sure would like to track down some descendants. Anyone?

oso-blanco

Sep 20, 2011
Is there any chance Ger-man can or will disclose the gps coordinates of the 4 markers? I have a diffenent interpretation of the meaning of the puzzle and if I am right could locate a small area to search if I knew the exact position of the markers. This would entail the permission of possibly only one landowner which would make a search more likely. There is little likelyhood that I can determine the position of the markers on my own, but Ger-man has indicated he knows those locations. He could publish a book on what he has done regarding this treasure or share in the results if, as a result of his information, the treasure is found. Thanks

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Ger-man's quest proved unsuccesful. Wilson's book sent hundreds of would-be
THers onto private property and the land was posted. Landowner finally got tired of
trespassers. The "legend" was a stinker anyway.

Ger-man

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2010
Speyer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Oso-blanco,

my partner and me read your message. We keep on having great interest in the TPG.
You will understand that we must avoid to keep on annoying the farmers. There were already too many treasure hunters on the country of the farmers.
If we publish the coordinates here, hundreds of treasure hunters will enter the country again and our chances, to get permission to enter the land of the farmers, are shrinking. Under no circumstances can we publish details as long as we still have interests.
We hope for your understanding of our behavior.
By the way we know also quite exactly where the gold lies. However, it does not help, if we can`t enter the land.

P. S.: Your question shows that you probably don`t get on with your solution...
In spite of that we wish you good luck!

Ger-man

Ger-man

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2010
Speyer
Primary Interest:
Other
Lastleg,

we do not agree with your opinion...
By the way, the permission of the owners is in fact the only problem.
However, it is not impossible. Not once from Europe.
We need only 2 permission.
If some one can help, feel free to contact us!

Ger-man

Ger-man

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2010
Speyer
Primary Interest:
Other
The farmers do not give any approval to enter the area. The farmers were also very impolite partly. I cannot understand that, because I have to leave offered a security garantee (cash). There are meanwhile important references that the treasure was found by the farmers long time ago.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you didn't get into the area, Ger-man. I have relatives in Boise City, and the location of the markers and the treasure site are not really that big of a secret. I'm not interested in messing with it. If you have done a lot of research, maybe write a book, like J. Frank Dobie said the real treasure lies in writing about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread