OK to MD Wichita Mountains park?

osros

Greenie
Jan 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, Tesoro Vaquero
I have visited Wichita Mountains, drove and looked around some, I found some info on some sites I may want to MD. Just wondering if anyone knows if its okay to MD there are they giving permits? I really find it hard for them to even find anyone doing anything if you not on the main roads, campsites or lakes. I'm looking to go off the main road into the terrain. But will be good to know what the deal is before I try.

Thanks

OP
OP
osros

osros

Greenie
Jan 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, Tesoro Vaquero
Well I found my answer no surprise its a big NO. Im still gonna try and find those spots then make a judgment call. :dontknow:

breed12

Jun 19, 2011
okla city okla
Detector(s) used
mxt pro. Cibola - bandido two
there are people that have property that runs right up to the to the area you can find a lot of stuff on there land two people let me metal detect on there land all you have to do is ask

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
The fines can be pretty harsh if you get caught metal detecting on the refuge. The minimum fine is $250 each plus confiscation of the detector(s). They also use hidden trail cameras on the refuge.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alec said:
The fines can be pretty harsh if you get caught metal detecting on the refuge. The minimum fine is $250 each plus confiscation of the detector(s). They also use hidden trail cameras on the refuge.

Word of caution, take a vehicle you don't mind losing, not only can they legally impound your detector, but also the vehicle you used to get there if they want to get nasty, fines on top of that are steep, especially if they feel your trying to detect knowing it is illegal...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't even think about that in the refuge. Don't pick up a rock, an artifact, or even a stick with the intent to keep it. They will be all over you if they see you. Although I did find it strange that a group of Rangers just stood around while tourists fed the prairie dogs 'Pop Tarts' when the dog town used to be in Sulphur Flats. I have been over a great portion of the refuge, examined a lot of the archaeological sites in there, took pics only. I know how to get into the restricted north part of the refuge without being detected and know folks who have done that, but I won't take the chance, no matter how cool it would be to check out the base of Tah-Bone mountain. Lots of adjacent private land you might get permission on. If I was you, I would check into the Saddle Mountain store area, particularly west of there along that creek bottom. Kiowas camped there in about 1833, and other times. Might be a cool place if you can get permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions