Dugout shelter, Boggy Creek, and coins laying on top of the ground.

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett CSI 250 (Because I thought it was a ACE 250)
Hello. I spent my predeployment leave back home in southeast Oklahoma and I can't wait for a year to roll around. I will be out of Afghanistan and out of the Army, back home with my family eating wild game and hunting for treasure. Anyways, my dad's parents own around 1300 acres of land in Choctaw county, Boswell, OK. I use to camp out there when I was little and remembered seeing old wells out there and decided to ask my dad about it. As it turns out there were three known homesteads on my grandparents land not counting there own (and there has been some kind of house there since WWI). So we load up, my dad, mom, my wife, and our dog, and head out to grannies. We start off looking at two old homesteads, very old, no foundations except the cisterns at each one and the blocks the houses set on. The next one was just speculation. When my granfather bought this one section of land in the fifties, there was a very old man living in the tree line in a one room shack. He must of been some kind of hermit because he was about three miles from anything even resembling a road. Nothing at all stands there today. Now this is where it gets cool...

My dad took us way up on this rocky hill. He took us to this mound of dirt with a round indention about three feet across in the center. This mound of soil didn't have as much rocks in it as the surrounding soil. He said when he was a child in the sixties it was a hole in the ground with planks of wood protruding out. His dad had told him that it was a old dugout shelter and when he first found it in the fifties it was partially caved in. My grandpa found two old lanterns out there sticking out the dirt. Does anybody know when these things were used in Southeast Oklahoma? How would you go about searching this site.

Now about a third of a mile east of there Muddy boggy and Clear Boggy merge together. Looking at old maps I saw that there was a road that ran from Boggy depot, crossed over boggy creek in the same general are, and went to Doaksville and Fort Towson. This was Pre-civil war. Also right across the river my grandpa used to own some land with a lake that supposedly had outlaw treasure in it. In the sixties some people from California came down and ripped that place to shreds looking for that loot. My grandpa while riding horseback, found a 1846 half dollar in darn good condition just setting on top of the ground. They quit minting this particular coin in the 1870s. The nearest towns was Mayhew, about ten miles away, and Doaksville, a good 40 miles or so away. He also found a old shotgun under a rock ledge with no markings other that 487 E on the barrel and a old pistold in the fork of a tree along the river.

Sorry for the long post, maybe I should of made multiple threads, I just don't know where to start. Any ideas?

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hit some yards and old schools around Wapanucka. Nothing much to show for it. I carried a M.D. in the Mack for years and would stop every chance I got. Found buckets of musket balls on the Washita a few years back and decided it had been a firing range.
One of my sons is due back in May...(Army) He has made all four campains since Desert Storm. My Marine S.Sgt has made three, and now in S. Korea. Check my avitar. Stay safe.

OP
OP
Leco

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett CSI 250 (Because I thought it was a ACE 250)
Finding all of those musket balls would really make my day. I enjoy trying to figure out the history of a place, especially where I am from. I was at Fort Towson this past week and it is just nuts that place is out there, just surrounded by ranches and farmland, down some crappy county road. They have a cannon out there and being a artillerymen myslef it got me thinking. Even though the rifling was smooth in it's bore I'm sure there were many more cannons and they had to test fire and do periodic regestration and confirmation fires with it. I bet their are cannon balls all over these peoples cow pastures. Just neat to imagine.

Kenley, is your Army son retiring soon? If he has been in since Desert Strorm? I wish both your sons the best of luck.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leco I think I have hunted where you are talking about ! In the late 70's , The give away was the dug out and when I was there it was still were you could see down into part of it.
And there was an older guy there that let us hunt ! I am thinking that he was in his 80's or later . We have family around that area and that is how I ended up hunting there .

And by what the older man told us the area was once used as a firing rang after and between the Indian wars and WW I .
I Remember finding some items while we were there but I can not think of what they were .

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leco..thanks for asking. My Army man has (+-) 5 to go. He just made S.Sgt on the first. He is active reserve
make that VERY active. A convoy commander up North. He is also a cop in Waco. The Marine made S.Sgt, a battlefield promotion during his second battle for Falugah. Force recon. Now he's some king of secret squirrel in South Korea. Keep safe. If you PM me with your address in the sand, I will send care packages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread