NE 1 hear the rumor that the Gillespie Sisters hit it big?

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A snake by the name of Michael Griffith found a cache of gold and silver coins hidden in a spitoon several years ago with the help of Bob Brewer from Arkansas on the Gillespie sisters property. It is well documented in Bob Brewers book Shadow of the Sentinel.

Are you saying there are rumors of a more recent discovery?

OP
OP
goverton

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that tale as well. But I heard in 2010-2011 the sisters found something else.....

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
groverton:

I notice you always start posts with NE. Is that a direction or what?

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
The Gillespie sisters hit it big when they sold the land. As far as I know they aren't searching on the peice of land they still own and the other part (the part they sold) is under a treasure contract for another couple of years.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
No, it was sold several years ago. The sisters didn't sell all of their land. I think they had 600 acres and they sold 400 so they still have part of what they originally owned so the county records will still show them owning land there. The part that had the indian school/civil war hospital on it was sold.

OP
OP
goverton

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a new land search and you are right. They sold the land or part of it. Those 2 ladies probably knew
more about the land than anyone and if they sold it, there probably not anything left there.
I also heard a rumor it was moved long ago in the 1800's from that location to another. Maybe Tuttle
or Cache OK

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
I don't think the sisters know anything about what treasures may or may not be on the property. They dynamited one cave to keep people out that had carvings on the ceiling but if you know where it's at then you can still get in through the rubble. There are several treasure related carvings on the property and they are in different locations meaning different caches. It would be my guess that at least a few of those caches are still there and, based on where the carvings are located and how spread out they are, there ae several the sisters didn't know about to begin with. There's other things with the sisters and the sale of the land that I am not at liberty to discuss that would also make me believe they don't have any idea what may or may not be there.

It would also be my opinion that nothing was moved from one spot to another. If they recovered it they spent it and most if not all of these caches would have been put down after the Civil War so you would be talking about them putting them in the ground one year and just a year or two later moving them. There are too many markings on the property for that to have happened. I think whatever they put there stayed there unless they came back themselves to recover and spend it.

OP
OP
goverton

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did read on the internet somewhere that they had a professor come out and map out those tunnels for them
with ground penetrating radar. That Prof is now dead but there were pics of him and students from the university
at that site. Supposedly some of the caves were double stacked.
This site was accessible when Frank James was alive....he may have gone there, as there was a main trail going through
this land near the old school. Maybe he picked up some of the loot ...who knows...

was this pic from there?

Attachments

• 505714053_o.jpg
    505714053_o.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 1,170

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
I don't know if that picture is from there or not. The professor and his students where there several years ago when the Gillespie sisters still owned all of the land. He had GPR and resistivity equipment with him and even dug a hole only to find a rock. I have a copy of his report on the property and the information about some tunnels and the caves they found. The didn't work the entire property, only about 3-4 spots on the property and one of those was the location of the old academy/hospital.

Frank could have very well been there. It wasn't too far from where he lived and there was certaintly enough there for him to go looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread