What are the old ruins 4-5 miles north of Daugherty OK?

hkentcraig

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know the history behind the old ruins four or five miles north of Daugherty OK on State Road 110? They've intrigued the heck out of me since first find them while out exploring a couple of years ago. When I asked about them at the general store in Daugherty, all they would say is: "it's the old office building used by a sand and gravel company". Uhmmm, I don't think so.

For one thing the building is massive in size (see attached photos) and has the feel of being very old, at least a hundred years or older and simply is out of place in the middle of nowhere even for Oklahoma.

In another modest mystery, there is a perfect circle about 5 feet wide of numbers about 6" tall each painted on the parking lot at the Daugherty general store and when I tried to take a photo of them, the proprietor came out and very politely asked me not to take any photos of the circle of numbers to which I equally politely complied. When I checked on the circle of numbers a couple of weeks ago, it had been obscured by gravel and dirt etcetera so I didn't push things.

Getting back to the ruins, if you go to GoogleMaps and type in the following coordinates:

N 34 24.863
W 097 02.508

a map will come up with two photos to the left that when clicked on will show enlargements labeled "Unknown Ruins"

Anyway, both are good mysteries, would love to know what they actually are!

Attachments

• OldRuinsNorthOfDaughertyOK_Photo1_NoteHumanFigureToLeftForScale.jpg
    OldRuinsNorthOfDaughertyOK_Photo1_NoteHumanFigureToLeftForScale.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,635
  • OldRuinsNorthOfDaughertyOK_Photo2_NoteHumanFigureToLeftForScale.jpg
    OldRuinsNorthOfDaughertyOK_Photo2_NoteHumanFigureToLeftForScale.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 899
  • OldRuinsNorthOfDaughertyOK_Photo3.jpg
    OldRuinsNorthOfDaughertyOK_Photo3.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,200

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Poured concrete..that probably put the date to the 1920's or later. Did you go inside? Any pedistales or mounts that will give a hint as to it's use? Very expensive and expansave structure.

May 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually own this, and it is a sand separator the rail road tracks used to run through the place and they would place the sand on the train to haul to other places. They minded for sand down there.

tjcnok

Sep 29, 2007
That is in fact the Dolese Bros. Rayford Mill stone quarry. Years ago I hauled a bunch of crushed stone out of there. There is another quarry on down the road where the road takes a sharp left. It was known as the Dolese Big Canyon Quarry. The last time I was in there was in the early 80's. We were sent to New York to bring back a crusher that Dolese bought. We took it to Big Canyon Quarry. They very shortly after that closed this quarry too.

Doc1

Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We drove thru the small town of Dougherty on Sunday the 13 th of March 2016
We took 110 in the other direction which was out Big Canyon Road
We found the old James family cemetery it really looked in bad shape and needs work
Wondered if anyone would say anything if a group went out and tried to do some cleaning and repair on it
As we traveled further we saw a fairy big rock house on the right hand side of the road on the edge of a hill
Did not get out and explore but would love to have had the chance
If you have not been out that way it is a nice rough road drive

KitKat90

Apr 6, 2024
I lived on and off in Doughtery for most of my childhood and I asked my grandmother who had lived in that area for decades many times before she passed and she couldn't even tell me what it was. I think that maybe it was the administration building of the plant but the rest of the plant either burnt down or maybe was picked over by those that were looking for metal to scrap. Either way, I haven't been able to figure it out either so if anyone has please let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions