OKIEs

angler 07

Greenie
Jan 26, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Re: OKIE's

Hi I'm from Tulsa, and am new to the immense wealth of inforamtion that is Treasurenet. I have been scouring the internet for a few days looking for information about the Arkansas River bridge in Sand Springs. I was wondering if anyone knows when the current bridge was originally built, and if there was a old bridge built before it in another location. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Angler .07, Check with Ruth Ellen Henry at the little museum in Sand Springs, she is a classmate of mine from the Sandite class of '62. There has been 3 bridges that I know about. I had some pictures of the original bridge taken in 1923 with a speed limit sign of 7mph. Second bridge went in in 1923 and the current one went in about '71 or '72. They were all more or less in the same spot. Monty

U

ukebec

First timer here. Hello all! I'm in central OK (Bethany).

I'm in the process of becoming a renewed TH'er I guess.

My aunt, mother and I went TH'ing with a cheapie metal detector from Radio Shack in the late 70's at the original site of Kaw City that had been flooded when a dam was erected to make Kaw lake. The lake was about 12 feet down and we found some amazing old farm hardware and I've never forgotten it.

I'm thinking about getting a Tesoro Silver uMax - has gotten great field reviews for the money; some depth tests are better than mid-level Minelabs! allanw23 are you north or south of I-240 on Penn? And are you open Sat/Sun? If you've got the Silver uMax I'm heading your way! ;D

Also, I'm wanting to hunt geodes. I think Commanche County is the only place they're found - is that right?

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro

Sorry closed Sun but open Monday-Friday 9:30 to 5:00 Sat til 3pm. And yes we do have the Silver Umax. We are South of 240 behind the Shell gas station in the strip mall. See you soon.

Treasurecowboy

Feb 14, 2007
Del City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

My wife and I are in Oklahoma City and are new to treasure hunting. Right now, we hunt everything! ;D We are interested in the old west/civil war era. We purchased a Tesoro Vaquero, if anyone has any tips. Also, we are planning on joing the Twin Territories club if anyone else is a member. Have fun (we are) and good luck (we hope)! -Treasure Cowboy & Ladybug

Spiro962

Mar 7, 2007
Spiro, OK

Hi..I'm in Spiro and previously lived in Wilburton. Haven't done much hunting in awhile due to five back surgeries, but shopping for a detector now. I got started by renting a Bounty Hunter BFO back in the early 70s while stationed at Carswell AFB, in Fort Worth and ended up buying it.

I've had about a dozen detectors since then and have hunted in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, the Phillipines, and Guam. I enjoy hunting for just about everything.

Spiro962

Mar 7, 2007
Spiro, OK

Thanks for the welcome! I remember that story...also just across the highway from the entrance to the caves and along the west bank of the creek, a couple was fishing after a rain and noticed several silver coins that had washed down the side of the bank.

I used to hunt Robbers Cave State Park alot with a friend and really had a great time when the drained Carlton Lake (the swimming and boating area). I'm not sure if they ever drained it before, but the coins and jewelry were plentiful...dating from the early 1900s to the 1980s.

Incidentally, the last time I hunted by the caves I had a very strong signal and dug down about a foot and a half with a trowel...stuck my arm in and touched what felt like a curved iron lid. There were some roots about 3 to 4 inches around over it and I planned on going home and getting a shovel, but as I was recovering the hole a Park Ranger informed me that detecting wasn't allowed in that area anymore. I guess I'll always wonder If it was just a piece of junk or something much better.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heavener here, & a Big OK welcome, to Raincrow 23, Morgan,
Okie Angie, jdp30 569, Bj in Ok, dalejr.rules, Treasure Hunter, Okla Buck, Scottishokie, angler 07, Ukebec, & Spiro962.

I hunt Indian Artifacts, fossils, Rocks & Minerals, Metal -
detect, dig bottles, Hunt for Treasures of all kinds.
I almost didn't join T Net because of a smart-alec remark about (Okies), but I overlooked it , & am glad I did, ( I am a transplanted Arky)
but have lived in OK for over 20 years.
HH, Fossis...............

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000

I was born/bred/graduated in Enid. Left there in '74 to join the Navy and just retired from the Federal Govt here in the Washington DC area in February. I am hoping to get back to Enid this summer and try some MD'ng around the area. Lord knows I'll eventually end up back in Enid 'cause that's where my headstone is already set up in the cemetary..........just in case, ya know. ;D
----Mel
borninok

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ardmore, Ok. south central.. not far from you... I like to coin hunt and relic hunt...

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi fellow Okies,

Was raised in S. OKC and have now lived in Moore, OK for the last 18 years.

I'm new to the TN forum but not new to Metal Detecting. Bought my first serious detector from Wayne's Detrector Sales in S. OKC back in 97; a Tesoro Bandito uMax. Still have it and still use it along with a couple of others.

Just a few words about Wayne's: I have bought 2 new detectors from Wayne over the last 10 years, as well as a few books and other accessories. Wayne has always been helpful to me with advise, instruction, or to just chew the fat when I would stop in and just want to talk. Sometimes I will stop in and just ask "hey Wayne, heard any good stories lately?" Always helpful, and never an impatient response to my dumb questions. Met his son last time I was in there who is taking over the business. These are good people IMO!

Anyway, I prefer to hunt around old houses or vacant lots in old neighborhoods. Someone asked about hunting Lake Thunderbird? Yep, sure do. Hunt the swimming areas with my Tigershark when I get the urge to find some jewelry. Also will hunt schoolyards sometimes. My job keeps me out of town during the week; usually in small towns in Kansas and Missouri so thats where I do most of my hunting. Beats going back to the motel room after work to vegetate. Clad does not excite me anymore; so I steer my hunting to try for the old stuff when I can.

Hope us Okies can show the others on the forum some good finds this year.

Good Luck

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Michigan here ;D

So, I finally found you! You look much better here than your picture at the Tesoro forum ;D

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of your finds and reading more of your comments.

Badger

Recruiter

Oct 13, 2006
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Hope us Okies can show the others on the forum some good finds this year.
[/quote]

Hope so, we have to dig a little deeper (no pun intended) to find good and intersting stuff since we are a younger state. When the rain stops I will get out there and make us Okies look good. Down the street in Norman.

HH

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Myron, (Mich Badger)

Noticed the Tesoro Forum is down again. Unbelievable!
Hope I can find something worth talking about soon. Got an old vacant house across the street from where I'm working here in S.W. Misery..........er.......Missouri. Been at this job location 2 weeks and cant seem to find the time to get over there to check it out. Work keeps getting in the way. Next week it's to Independence, Kansas. Got to make time to swing the machine.

Hey Recruiter,

We're practically neighbors. You sure got it right about Okieland being a latecomer to the union. Hard to find the really old coins when nobody was around to drop em way back when. Oldest I've found so far in Oklahoma was a 1901 Quarter down in Madill a few years ago. Lets keep trying; we'll find some stuff to make em take notice.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

okiesharpshooter said:
Hey Myron, (Mich Badger)

Noticed the Tesoro Forum is down again. Unbelievable!
Hope I can find something worth talking about soon. Got an old vacant house across the street from where I'm working here in S.W. Misery..........er.......Missouri. Been at this job location 2 weeks and cant seem to find the time to get over there to check it out. Work keeps getting in the way. Next week it's to Independence, Kansas. Got to make time to swing the machine.

Hey, I goofed, thought you (okiesharpshooter) were this OKIE, sorry bout that OKIE.

I even sent him a PM thinking it was you. Now he knows I'm nuts ::)

Anyway, good hunting okiesharpshooter (and OKIE).

Badger

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quite a few of us here on the forum. I've about given up on old coins, oldest I found was a 1907 shield nickel....the year of statehood. I've found a couple of tokens from a ways back but from out of state believe it or not. One fellow I see often found an Indian territory token on a vacant lot I'd been over 4 or 5 times! Lots of trash, I probably saw it but just didn't dig it. Hard lesson. Monty

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma

The older coins are around. That's an 1841 holed dime in my avatar. Found in the Fort Washita area just north of Durant OK. My first real silver. ;D

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Joe,

Nice seated dime you found there.

Are you down in the Southern part of the state?

Had a seasoned citizen tell me about an old dugout; South and little East of Marietta on the Red River on what is now public land. (I think it's a public hunting area now) Said that the man that lived in the dugout ran a ferry across the river. Of course this was before any bridges were built across the river. His memory wasn't too good, but he gave me directions to the dugout that he had seen as recently as 10 years ago. I tried for a couple of hours to find it but never could in all the trees and brush. This was 3 or 4 years ago. Might be worth checking out for somebody who lives down that way. Have to do a little research to find out where it's actually located.

My earlier post about the 1901 Quarter was incorrect. It was found in Kingston, just on the South side of the train tracks where some old concrete forms (old loading docks?) were sticking out of the ground. May be some more good stuff there for somebody to find.

Note to Monty: I've learned that same hard lesson more than once. Usually it's when I'm Cherry Pickin' a site and somebody comes in behind me hunting with low disc. Guess ya gotta dig some of the trash if if you want the treasure eh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions