Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very few current relevant postings. I tried to put up a couple of things, but didn't inspire them at all. Oklahoma was settled by people who couldn't make it anywhere else. Argue with me if you want, but my family didn't come here from Indianoishio and get land from a run or by lottery. Still, the state is rich with stories of treasure. What I see, most of the Okies have no clue. Gooner gets close and okietreasurehunter if he's on here still nails it. Kill the whole thing. It'll be about two or three days afore these Okies spot this and respond, I'll bet. Well they do have that basketball team that they think will define their state. Just cancel and remove the whole Oklahoma forum; ain't nobody gonna miss it.

Slim Diggins

May 27, 2010
McLoud Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your just pulling our chain. Seriously I've been working on folklore close to home lately.
But i just got in from a 2 week Colorado trip. Nearly made it over to your neck of the woods.
I had alot of fun MD'ing around old mines and panning in a spring fed creek. Lot's of flour AU.
David

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, slimdiggins, just pullin y'alls chain in hopes of inspiring some folks. Oklahoma has an outstanding history and a plethora of treasure tales. I couldn't even begin to chronicle them, cause I ain't no J. Frank Dobie or Steve Wilson. Glad you made it up here to keep an eye on things for me, cause I was in Oklahoma last week. All y'all ever make it up here to Summit County, look me up. We'll go over to HalfMoon Gulch, or down to Round Hill and Poncha Pass. Lots of Jesse James stories about those places,

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
not an okie here, but did some time up there while in school, and live south of the Red
i spend more time on the things up there in the Indian Territory though, as it carries a ton of these legends, and a large amount of undeveloped space.
i love the history that i have learned over the years researching the state!
Even though Texas is bigger and better! just kidding...kinda..

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will accept a post from somebody in Baja Oklahoma. Actually, I am 1/8 Texan, and people up here call me 'Tex', but they only make that mistake once. I live in the mountains now, but I will say I love the Llano Estacado. Passed through it a couple of weeks ago and as always just great to be there.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very few current relevant postings. I tried to put up a couple of things, but didn't inspire them at all. Oklahoma was settled by people who couldn't make it anywhere else. Argue with me if you want, but my family didn't come here from Indianoishio and get land from a run or by lottery. Still, the state is rich with stories of treasure. What I see, most of the Okies have no clue. Gooner gets close and okietreasurehunter if he's on here still nails it. Kill the whole thing. It'll be about two or three days afore these Okies spot this and respond, I'll bet. Well they do have that basketball team that they think will define their state. Just cancel and remove the whole Oklahoma forum; ain't nobody gonna miss it.
I'll show you why I'm not finding anything: P1140164 (800x600).jpg ---this right here keeps me outta the woods! And the 100+ degree heat wave we having. The ground is harder than my head! Keep posting your treasure stories, RGINN, cause I love to read them, I just won't be doing any treasure hunting until the Fall.

Charmin~~

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
think you just hit the nail on the head, this time of year this section should be booming...when it gets too hot to be out in it, you research
guess its the other way around up north. either way, i would think the off season would have more folks poking around the site looking for more to research and do the other kinda diggin into!
i have so many files and notes it makes my head hurt, but there is always room for more
will actually be heading north of the Red again here soon to do some follow up on a previous visit
good things there!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know too much about OK but sure wish I had the talent for picture-taking that RGINN has! TTC

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really concerned about the finds Charmin. There just seems to be no knowledge of the history of the state. When I post a story, the reaction seems to be 'uuhhhh'. We got way more better history than a lot of these Yankee states but nobody seems interested. It almost seems to me that state history is being written as starting after the land runs and lotteries, which is sad. Lots of stories before that and after that, but nobody knows them. I could tell you about my great-great Uncle who searched for Bob Herrin's loot on Flattop Mountain, my dad's cousin who was impressed that Belle Starr's horse would walk across a railroad trestle and know to step on every tie, and all the stories I heard about the Cave with the Iron Door, but nobody's really interested it seems. Due to the history of the area, we should be seein more input. Besides that, when it's 105 degrees, you pretty much got the field to yourself.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really concerned about the finds Charmin. There just seems to be no knowledge of the history of the state. When I post a story, the reaction seems to be 'uuhhhh'. We got way more better history than a lot of these Yankee states but nobody seems interested. It almost seems to me that state history is being written as starting after the land runs and lotteries, which is sad. Lots of stories before that and after that, but nobody knows them. I could tell you about my great-great Uncle who searched for Bob Herrin's loot on Flattop Mountain, my dad's cousin who was impressed that Belle Starr's horse would walk across a railroad trestle and know to step on every tie, and all the stories I heard about the Cave with the Iron Door, but nobody's really interested it seems. Due to the history of the area, we should be seein more input. Besides that, when it's 105 degrees, you pretty much got the field to yourself.
You should be writing all these stories down! There is so much verbal history that's lost. I wish I had sat down with my grandparents on both sides of my family and taken notes. It was my Grandpa Bumgarner who could tell the best stories though---he was a man who actually "walked" out the land. He saw so many things that I can only dream of.
When you're back in Oklahoma, why not go take pictures of the places you post about and write a book?---you have a flair for story telling, RGINN, and very good writing skills. And if you didn't want to sell you book to the public, at least your kids could enjoy it.

(Belle Starr was a distant cousin of my great-grandma, through the Lucas side of our family. Great-Grandma was also related to the Hatfields :D )
My husbands grandpa was named after the Dalton's---his family used to feed them when they came through in the middle of the night, running from the law. :wink:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, leeezard7, and I will give you an area. Be forewarned, it can become a lifetime obsession. Go down to Kiowa County in SW OK. Particularly around Mt. Park, Cold Springs, Wildman. Pay attention to Twin Mountains. Kiowas supposedly took a bunch of gold from the Spanish in Devil's Canyon and buried it at Twin Mountains. I looked and looked all over that place. Never found any gold, but saw a lot of things that make you wonder. Direct your attention over towards Navajoe. Supposed to have been an old Spanish trail that ran up the north fork of the Red River to Sante Fe. Cool if we could establish that. There's your assignment and I will leave the research to you. Even if you don't come up with anything, you will find that the hunt for treasure is really a cool thing.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thank you, Charmin. My writin skills ain't that good, kiddo. I was fortunate to have been born long enough ago that I could sit and talk and listen to folks born in the l880's in the Indian Nations, which would later become the state of Oklahoma. Bad thing was they all got religion by the time I come along. They told me 'you don't need to be studyin on them bad men, you need to go to church and study on Jesus'. The women would tell you more stories. Grandma told me that one time Grandpa was ridin down that Texas road in SE Oklahoma, which is pretty much SH 69 now, and he came up to an all black town near Stringtown. They come out and told him you can water your horse, get somethin to eat, but don't let the sun set on you here white man. And I spect he rode on.

leeezard7

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2012
Piedmont Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, leeezard7, and I will give you an area. Be forewarned, it can become a lifetime obsession. Go down to Kiowa County in SW OK. Particularly around Mt. Park, Cold Springs, Wildman. Pay attention to Twin Mountains. Kiowas supposedly took a bunch of gold from the Spanish in Devil's Canyon and buried it at Twin Mountains. I looked and looked all over that place. Never found any gold, but saw a lot of things that make you wonder. Direct your attention over towards Navajoe. Supposed to have been an old Spanish trail that ran up the north fork of the Red River to Sante Fe. Cool if we could establish that. There's your assignment and I will leave the research to you. Even if you don't come up with anything, you will find that the hunt for treasure is really a cool thing.
rginn, i will start on that this evening. thank you for the lead. i will also be checkin on that other one we talked about. thank you again, mike in oklahoma

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
Well thank you, Charmin. My writin skills ain't that good, kiddo. I was fortunate to have been born long enough ago that I could sit and talk and listen to folks born in the l880's in the Indian Nations, which would later become the state of Oklahoma. Bad thing was they all got religion by the time I come along. They told me 'you don't need to be studyin on them bad men, you need to go to church and study on Jesus'. The women would tell you more stories. Grandma told me that one time Grandpa was ridin down that Texas road in SE Oklahoma, which is pretty much SH 69 now, and he came up to an all black town near Stringtown. They come out and told him you can water your horse, get somethin to eat, but don't let the sun set on you here white man. And I spect he rode on.

very cool to get the first hand stories like that, almost got your own pioneer papers going, which by the way, i have spent countless hours reading through and have had the pleasure of learning tons through them!!
keep it up if you will!

thanks

seandb77

Jul 16, 2012
I live in kiowa county and have been researching the history and treasure stories for a while now I have permission to be on some of the land that the stories talk about there is a lot of history here and I would love to learn more of the kind ya don't find in books my grandfather hunted treasure and swore till the day he died that he found the iron door cave and many others but shared limited information about them with me because he didn't want me getting in trouble or getting hurt in the hills I saw some Spanish coins and jewelry that he had found on his hunts

Do What

Greenie
Oct 5, 2012
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are blessed to live in southeast Oklahoma where there is a plethora of sites to work. And when you can find some of the old-timers from the area you can sount on some good stories. But, I agree, it seems fewer and fewer people are interested in the history. Only interested in the here and now.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still alive and well. Welcome Seandb77. I was down in Kiowa County last June cause there's a place down by Mt. Park I always like to look at, even if I can't do anything about it or come up with much. Anything you could tell us that your grandpa passed down about the Cave with the Iron Door would be cool to hear. You get the chance, do some research about the old Spanish road over along the North Fork and check out Twin Mountains. Do What, a lot of my family is out of Little Dixie and although I was born in western Oklahoma, we did live for awhile down in Push county between Ice and Snow, just across the hill from One Creek Valley. Great arrowhead hunting. The history of the early day Indian Nations if researched has a lot of potential for treasure hunters. Peculiar part of the country and you're better off if you're from there or have family down there. You don't just show up at somebody's place and ask if you can detect. Still, one of my favorite parts of the state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread