Jay OK (Lake Eucha)

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard any stories about Lake Eucha. We camp there and the lake level is getting pretty low. I found one old cellar that is normally under water and I know there are probably more than what I found. I've tried to find old photos but am not having any luck at all getting any history on the place. I did talk to one old timer and he showed me a really interesting magazine article about a place called Powder Horn. Thanks

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello RCarson, even though this is a year old post I see your still active so here is what I know.
Lake Eucha was built as a reservoir to keep Spavinaw Lake full. Spavinaw L. is a gravity flow (no pumps) water supply for Tulsa, Ok.
When Spavinaw Lake was built supposedly an active gold mine was dynamited and became submerged in 60'+ of lake. This has made me consider learning how to dive, but because the lake is a water supply owned by the city of Tulsa there is no swimming or diving allowed in the lake.
When Lake Eucha was built- the town was relocated to its present local, as the original town site was to become the lake. I have been told that when the lake is low it is possible to see many old structure/ foundations from the air.

HH yelnif

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
It is possible to see old foundations but you don't have to be in the air. It is possible to see them from the boat. I have walked around some of them when the lake is low like last year. I have been camping here since I was born and just returned from there today and will be back there Friday. It is a neat area. I have talked w some of the old locals and one of them showed me a story about a spot on the lake called Powderhorn. It is an interesting place. I'm wondering if there are any treasure stories about the place. I've never heard about the gold mine. I'll have to look into it

andrewaggie

Dec 14, 2013
I've heard the story of the old city underneath the lake and moved everyone because of the dam being built my aunt says there's a part of the lake that has steps down into the lake just stories I heard of growing up

OP
OP
R

RCarson

Jun 20, 2012
There is a set of concrete stairs leading to the water. They are across the lake from the old school house and up towards the bridge a bit. They would've led down almost across the river from Powderhorn was.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This side of Oklahoma has multiple man made lakes with dozens of towns underneath them. If we get a dry summer and the water is down I know of several town sites that can be hunted and have produced silver coins. Allewee, salina, are just some of the towns around Northeast Oklahoma.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions