Active Okies?

usinadi

Mar 9, 2015
Stilwell, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350; Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started metal detecting last March with a Garrett 350 but moved up in October to a Garrett AT Gold and I absolutely love the new machine. I am from Stilwell, Oklahoma in Adair county and I hunt a lot of old house places. My dad metal detected during the 80's and early 90's and I loved going with him. I love metal detecting and finding old coins but I also love how the relics from a place give you a little history of the people that once lived there. I got most of my dads old metal detecting finds and the one i treasure the most is a store token from Bunch, oklahoma that has Bunch, IT (Indian Territory)...before statehood!

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oologah here. I don't get out often but I do a lot of researching.

OKCHunter

Greenie
Dec 20, 2016
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New here from OKC (Edmond). Hope to learn more about this hobby from you guys.

OkieNome

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first post to this forum. I currently reside in Nome, AK. Myself, wife and both of our kids relocated to Nome 2 years ago. I bought a dredge from Vernon Adkison and moved my family here from Woodward Oklahoma to try my luck in an industry that isn't determined by the price of oil. Diving the Bering Sea and experiencing the Eskimo culture as well as finding good gold was all exciting and fun, but just as the price of oil determines your success back home, the weather determines your success here on the Bering Sea. The reality is, there's more bad weather days, (big seas), than there are good. We're flying out of Nome 2 weeks from today heading back to Woodward. I've been researching and have found some information that there's gold in K River. I'd be interested to hear some K River experiences.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first post to this forum. I currently reside in Nome, AK. Myself, wife and both of our kids relocated to Nome 2 years ago. I bought a dredge from Vernon Adkison and moved my family here from Woodward Oklahoma to try my luck in an industry that isn't determined by the price of oil. Diving the Bering Sea and experiencing the Eskimo culture as well as finding good gold was all exciting and fun, but just as the price of oil determines your success back home, the weather determines your success here on the Bering Sea. The reality is, there's more bad weather days, (big seas), than there are good. We're flying out of Nome 2 weeks from today heading back to Woodward. I've been researching and have found some information that there's gold in K River. I'd be interested to hear some K River experiences.
Welcome back to the Oklahoma. Sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. I can't attest to any gold but there is a gold prospecting forum that may have some experienced help for that area. I bet you could tell some good stories. Hey at least you won't need them Eskimo clothes anymore, at least not much......Good Luck and Happy HUnting

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd love to hear some stories of a true beginner (I assume) going to Nome. How did you do? What was your biggest nugget, best total, etc... And I'd also be interested in hearing how Vernon Adkison stays in business. I assume he has some side gigs (or a trust fund) that keep him in the hunt because that dude seems to spend way more money than he makes, based on what we see on the tv show.

Even if you didn't hit it big, I bet it was still a fun journey. I'd love to have the freedom to do that.

OO

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you didn't hit it big, I bet it was still a fun journey. I'd love to have the freedom to do that.

OO[/QUOTE]

Here, Here

OkieNome

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vernon is just like you see him on TV. That's about all that's "real". He's a good guy, but definitely out for himself. He pilots huge ships as a day job in and out of ports around Anchorage and Valdez. He makes way more money doing that than the show was paying him. He's no longer on the show. Original Productions wanted to lower his pay and he refused to accept it, so they cut him loose. The Kelly's, yea, I made more gold my first 3 weeks on the water than they have in 4 years. The used my dredge trailer to pull their dredge out this fall before the harbor froze up and busted the entire tongue on it. Andy had given me quite a bit of aluminum for a beach launcher I was building so it wasn't that big a deal. No one sells aluminum here, so it has to be flown in. Emily & Zeke... premadonnas. The reality TV thing has gone to their head. They throw together the biggest piles of junk to work with on the ice. I enjoyed the experience. Dove for Vernon under the ice my first winter here and started running my own operation that spring. Had a few close calls out on the water, but always pulled through. No HUGE nuggets, but definitely some great pickers.

OkieNome

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0910.PNG

OkieNome

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other pic is Bobby Lowe and myself on my dredge. Hank is in the background on the AU Grabber. Bobby and I had been in the water almost a month and this was Hanks first day. The TomCod claim is 1000 acres. Of all the places to go, Hank set up right on us and marked us out. Bobby is Vernons lead diver.

mwyers91

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im active from muskogee

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread