Boggy Creek Treasure (Repost from OK Treasure Legends)

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett CSI 250 (Because I thought it was a ACE 250)
I am reposting this here in the main Oklahoma forum for visibility reasons.

I was wondering if any of you Okies know much of this story. In the early 1900s a group of outlaws stole jewelry, gold, and silver valuing at the time over 100k. The leader of the gang was said to have buried it near the ghost town of Sand Bluff. I have only came across two bits of information on the internet. One source said it was buried in a crate about a mile off an old military road near Boggy Creek. The other source said it was buried in a wooden cart between a lake (possibly Grassy Lake) and Boggy Creek.

My Grandmother owns a fairly large amount of land on boggy creek. I have been researching her property for several months now and have found that a road went through there. Travelers could go from Boggy Depot to Fort Towson on this road. Historicaerials.com is awesome. Across boggy from one section of her land is Grassy Lake, and my folks are pretty good friends with the property owners.

So does anybody else have any info on this legend. I find it fascinating. Not just that legend, but the history of the whole area. She has eight different homesites on her property that we know of, some of which were standing when she moved there 60 years ago, and some of which she had no idea was there (I say again, Historicaerials.com is awesome). I'm getting off subject. So anyways... I might decide to go look for this treasure, I might not. Honestly I don't think it is there and I probably wouldn't find it if it was. Its all about the romance for me. And the history.

Oh yeah, location.... Sand Bluff is located in either Choctaw or Atoka County. When I googled Sand Bluff some sites showed Atoka and some show Choctaw. Grassy Lake is in Choctaw County and so is my grandmothers land.

okhntr

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Southwest Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATgold , Garrett pin pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leco, Try reading Chronicles of Oklahoma. There are 20 volumes free online. I know you will find interesting facts about Boggy creek. I don't think there will be much about lost treasure, but I hope it helps.

OP
OP
Leco

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
okhntr, is Chronicles of Oklahoma on the OU website? It sounds familiar. I will google it right now and respond....

OSU's website. This is some good stuff. I can already tell you that I am going to get sidetracked and read about everything other than my original intent. Incredible stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

okhntr

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Southwest Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATgold , Garrett pin pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Internet research

okhntr, is Chronicles of Oklahoma on the OU website? It sounds familiar. I will google it right now and respond....

OSU's website. This is some good stuff. I can already tell you that I am going to get sidetracked and read about everything other than my original intent. Incredible stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm happy to help! Good luck with your research.

TraceyS

Greenie
Jan 9, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Leco, I am a new member...as of yesterday...I am an area manager for a major timber co here in SE Oklahoma and manage lands in Choctaw and Pushmataha counties. I'm not exactly certain of where you are refering. Could you provide a legal discription or lat/long. I manage a few blocks in the Fort Towson area and would love to gain knowledge of the history. I've been here for 5 years so i'm still learning about the area history. If I can provide any assistance I'd be more than happy too. There is quite a bit of history in the SE Oklahoma area. There are a number of old settlements from the late 1800s and early 1900s primarily in the John's Valley area in Pushmataha county. I would love to know more about this area if anyone has knowledge. I have metal detected a few times but I am really inexperienced. The most I have found has been some 1940's coins and a brass dog collar name plate from the 50s. I'd love to chat with anyone with information.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there is more than one "grassy lake" in choctaw co. I doubt it has any involvement in an old treasure legend. The current "grassy lake" is a man-made reservoir.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I could be wrong but there is another 'Grassy Lake' over in Atoka County. It's on the south side of Clear Boggy Creek south east of Twin Lakes about 6 miles or so. And hey TraceyS, you need to be lookin for arrowheads. Large prehistoric occupation in southeast Oklahoma, and if your area of management covers anywhere in Push county in the One Creek Valley area, hey hook me up with permission to look that over. Lots of artifacts and village sites in that area.

OP
OP
Leco

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
I'm sorry I didn't reply. I'm going back to college so I'm hardly on here, and even when I am the Oklahoma forum is slow. Ok so Tracey S., Grassy Lake is almost dead south of McLeod Prison, just a few miles south. If you look at a map, the area in question is in the vicinity of the most southern fork of clear and muddy boggy. There is some really cool history in Push county. Lost mountain (Lost Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) might be my favorite story, definitely creepy though. Jason in Enid, I have seen pre state-hood maps with the "grassy lake" in question on them. I do know that in the last few decades (not sure of date, when my dad was growing up and his family had cattle over there) that the lake was worked on because it would flood after heavy rains. So in that sense it has been engineered to hold water, but it doesn't act as a reservoir for a creek, river, or any sort of tributary. However if you look at a map from today, compared to a map from say, one hundred years ago, the lake has dramatically changed its shape. So if there is treasure it could be under water. You are correct though, it is officially a reservoir according to any map site Ive ever gotten on. RGINN is correct, there is a Grassy Lake in Atoka County, sets between Twin Lakes and Mossy Lake. I had to check it out on a map when you said Atoka County, because the area in question is very close to Atoka county. However, RGINN said it sets south of Clear Boggy, and I know that the one I'm talking about sets North of Clear Boggy. So I followed Clear Boggy on the map and there it is, Grassy Lake in Atoka County.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry I didn't reply. I'm going back to college so I'm hardly on here, and even when I am the Oklahoma forum is slow. Ok so Tracey S., Grassy Lake is almost dead south of McLeod Prison, just a few miles south. If you look at a map, the area in question is in the vicinity of the most southern fork of clear and muddy boggy.

Is it a really long north/south lake?

Edit, I think I found it. Is it 8 miles south of the prison?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leco

Leco

Dec 9, 2009
Calera, Ok
Detector(s) used
It lays west to east. Im not sure how many miles it is from the prison, its not many though. Clear boggy runs south of its, muddy boggy is north of it. A private road also runs east to west right above the lake. Its within a mile or two of mosley and hogpen lake

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread