Feb 9, 2013

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest residental homes 1950s and earlier.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost towns are always my favorites. Most of the time they are peaceful and quite since by definition they are no longer inhabited. I always wear snake boots and keep earphone muff off left ear to hopefully hear rattlers during hot months especially when by myself.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ok/ok.html

OP
OP
babygyrrl04

babygyrrl04

Greenie
Feb 9, 2013
Ghost towns are always my favorites. Most of the time they are peaceful and quite since by definition they are no longer inhabited. I always wear snake boots and keep earphone muff off left ear to hopefully hear rattlers during hot months especially when by myself. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ok/ok.html
Wonderful advice! Thanks! I'll check out the link.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a couple of ghost towns up north in Osage county I've always wanted to hit....

OP
OP
babygyrrl04

babygyrrl04

Greenie
Feb 9, 2013
There's a couple of ghost towns up north in Osage county I've always wanted to hit....
You know It's funny I grew up in Osage County and never knew anything about the ghost towns. I would've been begging to visit them!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foraker looks interesting as well as wynona off of hiway 99.

OP
OP
babygyrrl04

babygyrrl04

Greenie
Feb 9, 2013
Foraker looks interesting as well as wynona off of hiway 99.
Wynona isnt a ghost town just yet. Although close. I lived there and in Pawhuska. When I was there Wynona still had a population of about 500. It might be interesting to MD around where the old bank building was though. Was a booming town in its day from what I understand.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have no problem getting permissions just look for older homes in your area then knock on a few doors.

gazmuth

Jun 16, 2012
North Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garret GTX 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live very close to Osage County, just across the Arkansas River to be precise, and yes, there are a lot of Ghost Towns there, depending on where you grew up in Osage County. Some of the old towns are becoming more and more of a ghost town, like Grainola, Webb City, Foraker.... but they are not ghost towns yet, just slowly browning vacant over the years. But there are a lot of Oil Boom Towns north of US Highway Sixty almost straight north of Fairfax, such as Hardy, Personia, Whiz Bang, Lyman, and I forgot the name, but an old fort when it was Indian Territory, and a lot of stuff to find. Elgin Kansas is just to the North of the Tall Grass Prairie, one of the places where they hung outlaws in the mid to late 1800's, with brick streets and dirt roads leading to it, and while it isn't a ghost town, it is pretty much vacant these days with a lot of mown areas to shoot for relics and coins, but at one time Elgin KS sported 6 gallows along Main Street. Be sure to ask permission though, for the true Ghost Town sites are now on private land, you can get the assay for the area from the Court House in Pawhuska to find out who owns what these days. A lot of the old ghost town areas have cattle on them now, and the bulls are not quite the most gentle of animals, and ranchers want to be sure you cover your holes so the cow doesn't come up lame.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread