Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many are well known, but this one hasn't positively been located. After the Washita engagement, Custer returned with Sheridan. After surveying the battlefield they continued on down the Washita to Ft. Sill, and they would have bivouacked a few times along the way. For those of you in that area that can read a map, one location listed is the SW1/4 of Section 20, Township 13 North, Range 19 West. Another location was southeast of there a few miles along the river, near the mouth of Oak Creek. A very quick non-intrusive metal detector scan or even surface survey would confirm those sites. I was not able to gain access to those sites, maybe some of y'all can just for history's sake.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure wish I lived close to those sites. Were you unable to gain permission?
Somebody down that way jump on this. As RGINN said: for history's sake.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first site on a bluff above where Panther Creek ran into the Washita is what I believe to be the actual camp site of the 7th Cav. When I was there it was closed off to protect migratory waterfowl. The second site along the mouth of Oak Creek is on private property and I don't know the owners. Strange that those two sites are that close together, and a lot of arguments for each as to where the 7th camped after returning to the Washita battlefield en route to Ft. Sill. Probably no treasure there, but just a site to nail down for the sake of history. Well there is a story of treasure buried at on of the campsites along Custer's route from the Washita Battlefield down to Ft. Sill, so I guess you would figure how far a military unit would travel in a day and go from there.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 miles was the standard daily travel back in the day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread