Looking for arrowheads near Lawton

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Hi all. I am an avid arrowhead hunter, even though I have only found one, lol. I have been searching for around 15 years and I found my first one a little over a year ago, north of Lawton near Porter Hill. I was wondering if anyone has any information they could share with me about any old indian campsites or such that they may know of. My mother recently purchased a house in between Cache and Indiahoma on Post Oak Creek that I am thinking would be a great spot to look. Any advice or tips about hunting arrowheads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tim

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
Tim,

With all of the rain we've had lately I would check the creek to see if any points have washed out. I have found a few that way. There was an old supply road that ran near your mothers house. If you get an 1870's survey plat you can see where the crossing was on Post Oak Creek. This would be a good place to look around for all sorts of stuff. More than likely the road was an indian trail well before white men traveled it. You can find the survey plats online or if you know the range and township you can get a copy from the Oklahoma Dept. of Libraries. Points in this area are hard to find but they are around. Good luck!

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Thanks for the reply. I will look for survey plats online. I was talking to my mother yesterday about looking around down by the creek and she told me that a neighbor had told her that there was an old indian village that was located near the vicinity of my moms land. I was looking on terraserver last night and think I have a good hint to where it might have been. Wish me luck :).

Tim

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
By the way. You had mentioned that points around here are hard to find and I have to agree with you. Why is that? I have always wondered why they are so scarce. I found a perfect place for looking that had a butte that desended down to a field that ran next to Cache Creek and I can't find anything there. Truthfully I think it might have been searched thousands of times because if a rookie like me can tell that it is an unbelievable site to look, veteran hunters surely have looked it over. Anyways, I was just wanting to get your thoughts on why they are so hard to find because this was "Indian Territory" so it seems like they would be everywhere, ???

Tim

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
There are several areas around that are productive for finding points. A few in Caddo County but not many around Cache/Indiahoma. Since they don't plow the ground as deep anymore not as many points are brought to the surface. I'd check the creeks and ditches to see if any have washed out. Freshly plowed fields after a nice rain may yield a few points. The tribes camped west of the mountains as well. I've heard that Fort Cobb Lake when the water goes down is a good place to hunt. Look around watering holes/springs and old trail crossings as they would camp there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread