DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At one time, I had investigated what ever happened to the "Coffeyville Cannon" that was used to try and blast Christie out of his fort. A couple stories say it actually came from Fort Scott, or "from a military post in Kansas", but the majority of the stories tell how it was obtained from the city of Coffeyville, where it was used as a "saluting gun" for 4th of July, and starting races. Among those stories, some allude it was a "home made" cannon fabricated by a mechanic or blacksmith.

It was mounted on a couple of railroad ties in the back of a wagon, and was about 2.5"-3" bore, and the posse used it to attempt to knock down the log walls of Christies cabin, but the cannon balls didn't seem to have much effect on the fort's walls, so Cap White ordered a double charge of powder, and the barrel burst. It is not clear as to whether the gun was abandoned there, somebody kept it, or it was returned to Coffeyville, where it was scrapped. The 1914 newspaper clipping below seems to indicate the gun ended up in Tennessee, but it doesn't say anything about it being damaged - so that may be "a tale"...

I had always thought it would be a fascinating relic of "Ned Christie's War".

Attachments

• Coffeyville cannon.jpg
    Coffeyville cannon.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
OP
OP
wildpig

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story, haven't heard that one before. The way I read it, the cannon is still in Coffeeville at 14th and Mulberry. Wish I knew when I was driving thru Coffeeville every month.

Last edited:

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, the newspaper story is over 100 years old, and in the present day, there is only one house and a couple of sheds along the whole length of the street. Mulberry is only about 2 blocks long, from 12th to 14th Streets, all vacant lots, except for the structures mentioned. It is in the area of "old town" Coffeyville, where Col. James Coffey had his original 1869 trading post, at the present location of 13th and Walnut St. (South Walnut is also Hwy U.S.169), one block east of, and parallel to, Mulberry.

OP
OP
wildpig

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a holler, if you want to detect the area, sounds like fun.

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like fun! Count me in as well!

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know the exact location of Ned Christies cabins, i know there is at least 3. Two near Wauhilla, and one near Rabbit Trap. And where is Ned's Mountain Fort?
Would like to do some detecting around them if possible. There is also supposed to be a cave near Welling.
Thanks.

Take Hwy 51 West from Stilwell appx. 8.4 miles, turn left at the Bidding Springs Southern Baptist Church sign. Stay on this paved road appx. 2.4 miles, and just past the church you will see an old rock store on your right. There is a cemetery right behind the old store. This is the cemetery where Ned Christie is buried.

The site of his old home place is on the west side of the creek, in the hollow at the bottom of the mountain, not far from Ned Spring. The stories that Ned was in his rock fort on top of the mountain when he was assassinated are untrue. He was assassinated at his home, which he had fortified with rock and gravel in the walls and with strong timbers. The mountain top fort did exist, but he was at home when the ambush occurred. I reckon the stories passed down about his being attacked at his fort made for more drama and better tale telling. There actually was a cannon used that blew up on itself, it was positioned on the east side of the creek opposite the house at the time.

There is not much to see at the old home site, mostly all grown up with brush. But the fort is something else, it's still an amazing work of art, regardless of the tall tales told about it.

There is still a living descendant of the Ned Christie family, his name is Roy Hamilton. If interested, I can pm you the last known email address I have for him.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

3fnHr8Sm.png

OP
OP
wildpig

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa's 1/2 brother married Ned's granddaughter, when we went to visit, she would only talk in Cherokee, her husband would translate, she could understand English, just refused to speak it. My grandpa was raised in the area too. So I have been by there a few times, but didn't know exactly where Ned's cabin and fort were located. All the stories about Ned's capture vary a little, so who knows what actually happened. But growing up, I did hear a few stories, the cannon mounted on a wagon, and blowing up was among them. Wish I paid more attention to the old folks now. I haven't heard of Roy Hamilton, but it would be neat, if he could show me around.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a blast...literally. Would be interesting research on the cannon and the entire story. count me in whenever

OP
OP
wildpig

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like Roy Hamilton has died a few years ago. When I get time, I might drive over to Wauhilla and ask around.

Jan 2, 2023
Hello there! New to the site. I am doing some research on Ned Christie and came across this forum. I actually live close to Wauhillau. I'd like to connect with Ol' Kentuck but looks like he's been banned. Anyone have a way to reach him by chance? Thank you.

OP
OP
wildpig

wildpig

Jul 25, 2015
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there! New to the site. I am doing some research on Ned Christie and came across this forum. I actually live close to Wauhillau. I'd like to connect with Ol' Kentuck but looks like he's been banned. Anyone have a way to reach him by chance? Thank you.
He may have changed his name and still around, but not sure.
Do you have any more info on Ned's place or who owns the land now?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions