Detecting in old Grave yards

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Around my area, Claremore Oklahoma, there are more than a few shares of old "Indian" and "family" grave yards. I'm at a delima as to detect in an old Indian grave yard. There are only about a dozen graves, but the thing covers about a three acre area. The reason : back in the early '60s this was the local "beer bust" area, lovers lane, and get together spot, meet me there and I'll kick your ass spot, well, you get the idea. I know there was a good many senior rings and loot lost there just waiting to be found. It is city (lake) and public property, and falls under the general rules of city and county property.
I have already asked about detecting there, and the city manager in charge of it says "knock yourself out". He knows the history also, as I know him and he used to party and hang out there back in High School in the 60s.
What say you? Go for it? Or is there a respect issue involved. No one has been placed in it for years on end, no one places any flowers there. It is very old.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
do what you feel at ease doing -- you are holding back ---why? is something in your mind saying to you "no" don't do it -- then remember there is a big differance between what is "legal" to do and what is "moral" to do -- and only you can draw your moral line in the dirt because at the end of the day you have to live with yourself -- 24/7/365 -- so why it might be legal to do it -- are you morally ok with it? if so --you have your answer (yes) ---if not you have your answer (no) --- the real bottom line is its your choice.--- not ours.--- and just because their family isn't coming there anymore doesn't make it any less of a graveyard it just a old abandoned one --and you know its one ----now does that make a differance in your mind ? gut check time as my grandpa would say meaning (who am I and how do I feel about this? )----- Ivan

monkeymann

Jan 14, 2008
I would say that if you knew the area that the graves were located and avoided that area then you wouldn't really be doing anything wrong??
Just my opinion.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
common grave yards are a dilemma, I don't think it's illegal, but it's definitely frowned upon by most people.
As far as the Indian burial place, check with the Bureau of Indian affairs. If it is a BIA recognized site and you're caught, you'll wind up dealing with the Feds

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Sounds to me like your morals are telling you no, yet at the same time your head is telling you yes. I think your looking for someone to say...yeah go ahead and hunt it. To make the decision for you. I know of several I could hunt. I'm not going to do it. It is a moral issue for me. A final resting place should be just that and left undisturbed. That is just how I feel. Doesn't make it right or wrong. Go with your heart on this one. You will not be happy with your finds if your heart tells you no.

IMHO,
Pepper :)

OP
OP
B

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Thanks for all the replys.
Yea, I guess I have too much respect to disturb what may be considered hallowed ground.
Also where I live, Claremore Mound is basicaly my back yard. I don't know who owns it, but it is private property. A little history if I may;
In 1802 Major Jean Pierre Chouteau had a band of 400-500 Osage Indians to settle on this mound, as they were great hunters and trappers, and he wanted to trade the trinkets for the furs. It is flat topped. next to the Verdigris River and the top covers 25 acres. Latter, our good government gave the same mound and area to the Cherokees that were moved into the Cherokee Outlet (not Cherokee Strip, as some like to call it). In 1817 there was a "massacre" when the Osage men were away on a hunting and trapping trip. Women, children and old men, including Chief Claremont was all killed by a Cherokee (and Delaware Indian, they were allies and friends) war party. The town was moved a few years latter, about three miles straight East, then when the Frisco Railroad came through, it was moved about seven miles South East and known today as Claremore.
This is considered by some of the very old Indians as sacred ground. No one goes there. Legend says (and I was told this legend by one of the Last living full blood Osage Indians by the name of Brother Isac.) If you go there, you must be purified in the smoke, be barefoot or wear mocasins, and must leave something in place for anything you take. I kid you not, no one goes there! I have been around this area for 57 years (except for a few years in the Army and college) and have yet to step foot inside the fence around the land the mound is on. Cattle will graze in the valley around it but none have ever been known to even go upon the sides of it. Also, Claremore has never been hit by a tornado becuse the Indians setteled it on "buffalo ground". I wonder if there might be some "trade silver" in this area ?

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Thank you for the great history lesson! There is no telling what is there! Do you have a picture of the site? If you do visit that site I think you better heed the words of that Osage Elder!

OP
OP
B

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
I don't have any pictures that I have taken, but there are a few pictures if you Google Claremore Mound, or Claremore Oklahoma, or Rogers County Oklahoma history.
Plus , I aint worth diggin when it comes to posting pictures or most computer things like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread