oklahoma gold????

goldengoose

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2008
I have found a small (very small) amount of gold down in leflore county in the winding stair recreation area and I would like to go back down there and search some more

GhostRidr

Greenie
May 12, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II, Vaquero
While looking up some information on the Heavner Runestones, I came across an interesting article about that area. It mentions some gold activity there, but it is not the main concern of the piece. Still, might be info to follow up on:

http://www.viewzone.com/sender.html

grandfather

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2008
check out area on the kiamichi river near antlers ok. there is a campground just outside of there . the GPAA meets ther an dredge an md the area.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 45 years ago, my father-in-law took me to a rock quarry near Madill. He had contracted to remove the overburden with his bulldozer. In the racks was strands of fine wire gold. I pulled out about a 4 inch long piece with my pocket knife blade. Father -in-law stated that the owner told him there wasn't enough to mine at the price gold was bringing. $18.00/once? Don't remember where this place was, but lately been thinking about it alot.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GhostRidr said:
While looking up some information on the Heavner Runestones, I came across an interesting article about that area. It mentions some gold activity there, but it is not the main concern of the piece. Still, might be info to follow up on:

http://www.viewzone.com/sender.html

I worked for Gloria Farley as a 'driver & helper' for around 17 years when I lived in the area.
She always called these rock formations 'concretions', & that they were natural.
They are found in lots of places in the Ouachita mts, I have some in my Collection.

HH, Fossis..............

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old saying that gold is where you find it is pretty much true. It's in the Wichitas to some extant, but it's pretty difficult to mine. Otter Creek is a good place to pan. It's a lot of work sometimes too. I'm up here in the middle of the Rockies in the heart of gold country. I've learned to recognize what mica schist is. Fossis, I really thought Mrs. Farley would go on forever so I was sorry to hear of her passing, but I was wondering if she ever finished a second book? I bought the first one a few years back when I was down in Heavener.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
That old saying that gold is where you find it is pretty much true. It's in the Wichitas to some extant, but it's pretty difficult to mine. Otter Creek is a good place to pan. It's a lot of work sometimes too. I'm up here in the middle of the Rockies in the heart of gold country. I've learned to recognize what mica schist is. Fossis, I really thought Mrs. Farley would go on forever so I was sorry to hear of her passing, but I was wondering if she ever finished a second book? I bought the first one a few years back when I was down in Heavener.

Yeah, I thought she would 'go on forever' myself, I don't know if she got to finish the second one.
She gave me an autographed copy, for helping her over the years.

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread