Metal detecting laws in Oklahoma?

2goldennuggets

Jul 24, 2008
Anyone know how to find out the state and federal laws in Oklahoma on metal detecting? Specifically on Corps of Engineers land around Kaw Lake and the Arkansas river system.

I heard (Rumor) that all Federal land was off limits. But I called Tulsa Corps of Engineers office and they said it was allowed.

Dont want to spend many hours detecting only to get a ticket, or worse case senerio, find a cache and the governmant take it.

Thanks for any help,
2goldennuggets

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
Nuggets you can keep unless THEY find out about it and classify it as treasure trove then it is up for grabs.

Loose lips ,sink ships!!!

Loose lips, lose goodies!!!

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
The Corps has a pamplet on "all" rules and regs at the lake site office . Metal Detecting is covered in this. Mainly, you can only hunt in "disturbed" areas, ie: camp sites, swimming areas and beaches and such. You must report to the site office all finds of value of $50 or more, can not use a "bladed" (knife) tool or one that requires more than one hand to operate. Some sites are very strict, some don't bother. You can not pack out any "relic" (arrow heads, fossels, natural artafacts, even shed antlers). Been there, done that. I hunt Oologah Lake quite often.
Good hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions