Map link....Some useful info...Enjoy...

Marvin

Dec 24, 2010
Western Burbs of Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site is very good. Lots and lots of old maps. If you sign up for a user name they give you a $1 credit that will let you print one map of your choice. I did one of my area from the late 1800's on a transperancy and laid it on top of a scaled map of the same area from Google Earth. Really cool to see that some of the wooded areas here were in the exact same shape as they were over 100 years ago. The transperancy also lets me see where different homesteads were located on todays geography. I'm thinking about buying some more to do the same things for other areas.

OP
OP
S

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Lowbatts...

One thing I experienced with your link....
On my work laptop...when I entered the county and clicked on the run number it would open a download box and then not open after download....the files were in sid. format,so I downloaded a sid. file viewer from here
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/help/download_sid.html
I saved the download,then did a file open with the mrsid program...works well

On my home laptop when I click the run number it opens in IE....much slower...
:icon_scratch:
Not sure what is up with that...both running xp...perhaps a browser issue..believe they are both running the same version on IE..
Anyhow,thanks for the link Lowbatts...works like historicaerials.com,except that site stops a mile north of me with the 1938 map and jumps to the 1990's...nice addition to my research arsenal... :thumbsup:

Soup

Marvin

Dec 24, 2010
Western Burbs of Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link LowBatts. I had known that my subdivision was built on old farm land. Looking at the fly over photos it looks like in 1939 one of the buildings sat right on my lot. Can't wait for warmer weather. I should get some good practice right here in my yard.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah I know there is a TNet member who actually worked on transferring these old maps to a digitized format as part of a catalog update. Unfortunately the work was not completed for the whole state if I remember correctly.

You would also like this site:
http://landplats.ilsos.net/

While at first glance it may not appear there is a lot of info there, it is actually more than meets the eye. The earliest roads, some mills, taverns and inns from the 1830's and even earlier can be found on this map.

Pay particular attention to the old roads (Trace) that are marked, where they cross certain landmarks or creeks, rivers and hilly terrain and remember there no bridges back then, so some have ferry markings, some are just river crossings. Always a good place to start a hunt plan.

Mikeh_808

Feb 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soupie said:
I have found this link very usefull in locating ghost towns as well as homesteads....good luck Soup

I dont see a link on this post.. could you re-post this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread