• 1875 newton.jpg
    1875 newton.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 2,967

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Thanks Gypsy. Now that I am back from God's country (Texas lol) and in the land of the hoosiers (what the hell is a hoosier) I will see if I can get down there next weekend and see whats shakin... TMAN...

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Hey TMAN,

did you get a chance to go to Asphaltum town yet? it is about 40 miles from Gary, IN. If you feel like doing a Recon trip let me know.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Well, I finally took a road trip to the little town of Asphaltum. There is actually a sign there, along with about 10 houses and nothing but corn fields. Didn't locate the railroad tracks so I didnt locate the old town central. It is in the middle of no where. I used yahoo maps and it took me right to it. TMAN...

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
I've been through there many many times, there is also alot of wet lands! The railroad did not go through it, the C&WV (Chicago& Walbash Valley Railroad had a spur track that went to Giffords oil refinery, this is why they was some what a town there, when the oil wells started to dry up Gifford pulled the spur track and abandoned the refinery, he ran 3 tank cars on that line, and if I remember correctly it was originally called Petroleum, and the name changed just after Gifford pulled the spur. The only visable item let from 1900 town is 1 base of an oil well, its in the front yard of a house there, it looks like a cement wheel with the center open. Check out this tour of the C&WV RR and you will see all the towns and their locatons. http://www.monon.monon.org/monon/cwvtour03.html

Big_Tony

Apr 12, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter Lonestar
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well would be interesting to dig previous whorehouses but anyhow anyone in mid state would like to team up would be awesome Im always looking for a good place to hunt and meet new friends

rob250

Mar 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Madison county , new to the hobby but ready for spring to get here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread