Little Sodom

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In 1788, only three villages, Lee’s Town, Lebanon and Woodford are shown on the first map to show the outline of the first Woodford County, and later the same three villages are shown on the J. Russell 1794 map of Kentucky following its reduced size. Today none of these three villages exist as a town.

A few sections of old rock walls, which were part of the Woodford Village flat boat launching site, exist today, pinpointing the exact location. The name of this village appears on early correspondence of old letters, as Woodford Village, and finally Woodford shipping port. The port when it was in use was located on Fishers Mill Road, on the Southside of the bridge which crosses over Elkhorn Creek. The road is approximately one mile west of the town of Midway, on U.S. 421.

It is believed that David C. Humpries and adjoining farmers built this Port, sometimes between 1776-80. David and his brother built large homes in this area, David called his home “ Waverly”. He also owned over 2000 acres of land; had cattle, horses, a hemp factory, tobacco and other agricultural products. Surrounding his property were large land owners with similar products: Regis Alexander, W.S. Whelms, B. Blackburn, James Parish, Jacob Harper, Major John Lee, Henry Lee, E.W. Taylor, J. Starks, Caleb Wallace, Gen. A. Buford, Richard and John Cole, whose place later became the Waits Place along with many others, all within the nearby community.

Just a few hundred yards east of the shipping port was the site of twenty or more log cabins. The port and a nearby tavern called Cole’s Inn being the major part of the village. Other towns and villages, founded much earlier than Woodford Village are shown on different maps, other than the “Russell” map of this area. Woodford Village and or Shipping Port disappear from all maps prior to 1839. In 1939 only one log house of this old settlement existed, none at present.

In the beginning; log houses at Woodford Village housed farm workers, salves, and the men who made and operated large flat boats. These boats traveled by the way of South Elkhorn Cr. to the Kentucky River; to the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, and finally to New Orleans where the products would be sold quickly, and hopefully, the best prices obtained.

The men who operated the flat boats had to be tough fighting men, have good knowledge of river boating and a bit of intelligence. They, had to protect the farmers merchandise at all cost, including unseen mishaps, being robbed by river pirates, boat wrecks, running aground caused by river floods and boat repairs, etc.

After the sale of products the men took their cut, which ranged from ten to twenty five percent, the balance was deposited in banks by previous arrangement of letter, to the banks in New Orleans, then transferred to the merchants local bank. These flat boat operators returned by foot, horseback, or by any means to the Village on South Elkhorn Creek; to their cabins and family; to Cole’s Inn, to drink whiskey and tell stories about their trips as they traveled down the rivers during days and dark nights, enduring lighting storms, fights with river pirates, and the worry and fear of not getting back home to see their wives, or in some cases their unborn children. The stories went on and on telling tales to amuse the old and frighten the young.

Cole’s Inn, was located on Cole’s Road, (now Lees town Pike, U.S. 421), and one mile west of Midway across from Fisher’s Mill road. The Inn burned in 1811; however, the main Cole’s home quarters and springhouse exist today.

Woodford Shipping Port, encompass Cole’s Inn; owned and operated by, Richard Cole, Sr. This little settlement was known far and wide by it’s notorious name as, LITTLE SODOM, because Cole’s Inn became the gathering place for the cutthroat and river ruffians who fought over cards, women, and whatever until the next boat was ready for shipment. Many arguments and killings took place by the men who waited to take advantage of the weary travelers. The bad name of this little village continued until Cole’s Inn burned.

Commodities shipped by flat boats continued until a few years after the founding of Midway, by the Lexington & Ohio Railroad in 1831. As the town grew, factories and farm products begin to be shipped by rail and covered wagons, instead of flats boats. The railroads gradually took over, they were faster and more dependable; little Woodford Shipping Port just faded away.

Attachments

• coles map US 421 Woodford county.jpg
    coles map US 421 Woodford county.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,191
  • coles map US 421 Woodford county.jpg
    coles map US 421 Woodford county.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,056
K

Kentucky Kache

They shouldn't have called it Sodom if the guys were fighting over women. :D

Good post gypsy. If you ever get down this way we'll go dig up the place.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
jbot..........I would love to hunt with you....I think it would be a blast hitting some of those spots we've talked about.

Uncle Spud....I read alot and do research for people,so I am constantly coming across stuff....I love finding old forgotten towns .....and when I do find them I like to share with everytone here in hopes that someone from Tnet will find something great !

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Hey Gypsy... was just reading this post about Little Sodom, and had seen one earlier that you had made about "Hell's Half Acre"... Your profile doesn't say where you are at/from, and I can appreciate that. However, I suspect that if you don't live in Kentucky, then perhaps you have roots here. I'm just wondering if perhaps we are neighbors of a sort. <smile> Anyway, it's a pretty day out today and after wrangling in one more christmas gift, I'll have some free time today. I'm hoping I can go get some detector time in. Don't think I'll be hunting anywhere near the sites you mentioned in this last post I read, but even a tot lot is enough to scratch the itch for a while isn't it? <smile> Love your posts, and I'm interested in the information you find. What with the cold weather and all coming on now, I think I'll be spending some time in the archives and maps at the library this winter. <smile> Be talking to you!.. and as always.. Happy Hunting.

Oh.. and Have a Very Merry Christmas m'lady. <bowing>

Frodov

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes
I work in G-town and pass thru that area twice a day, the south side of that is I-64 I'll try to pay more attn today on the way home. I suspect that might be horse property now... I'll check it out though and give you a visual.... should have brought my camera today :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Gypsy. I used to live in the county next to Woodford (Scott). I know a man that owns a farm right on S.Elkhorn creek. Next time i'm up i'll give him a shout.

kybowhunter said:
I work in G-town and pass thru that area twice a day, the south side of that is I-64 I'll try to pay more attn today on the way home. I suspect that might be horse property now... I'll check it out though and give you a visual.... should have brought my camera today :)
Where you working? Toyota? :)

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes
diggummup said:
Good post Gypsy. I used to live in the county next to Woodford (Scott). I know a man that owns a farm right on S.Elkhorn creek. Next time i'm up i'll give him a shout.

kybowhunter said:
Where you working? Toyota? :)

Yes, I am a contractor there.

Sorry for the poor image all I had was my phone camera. There are two old brick buildings there, only one is barely visible in the photo... I'll take a better camera with me after the holidays :) I didn't stop at the farm house to inquire but could be a very interesting site to check out. One thing I noticed is that the land is very low. Oh... looks like the land is all pasture with cattle on it.

Attachments

• site1.jpg
    site1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 815
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Wow...I hope someone is able to get in there and hunt that area....Looks like it could produce alot with all the history . Wear Boots! :)
Frodov....thanks....I am in Wisconsin....Wish I was down there with you guys hunting.....I would be all over this place....

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Wisconsin??? CHEESE COUNTRY!!! Well, Dairy country anyway. Huh... I still suspect some sort of "Kentucky connection" with you though. <Smile> From Kentucky? Have relatives IN Kentucky? Or are a reincarnated soul FROM Kentucky.. perhaps an Ante Bellum Kentucky Belle... <shrug> <smile> Whatever the connection, I enjoy your posts, they are both fascinating and educational.

Happy Hunting!.. and Research! and Writing! <grin>

Frodov

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I would love to hunt this site...how do you tell where a place is or used to be today? I know it sounds really stupid, but I've never really looked at old maps and figured out exactly where they were located today. Can anyone help me? I live in Louisville and would love to go get permission to hunt this place!!
Thanks Gypsy
Justin

K

Kentucky Kache

grogmug said:
I would love to hunt this site...how do you tell where a place is or used to be today? I know it sounds really stupid, but I've never really looked at old maps and figured out exactly where they were located today. Can anyone help me? I live in Louisville and would love to go get permission to hunt this place!!
Thanks Gypsy
Justin

If you want a partner, pm me.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got permission for this place today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread