An Old Map of Louisiana (French) Territory.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a silver mine labelled on the upper Red River.

illus41.gif

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you know what the map date is?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTOINE.--- Dr. Branner recalled that Antoine Simon Le Page Du Pratz remarked in his Histoire de la Louisiane that there was "a silver mine in the country of the 'Cadodaquioux' or Caddo, located by a Portuguese named Antoine. Stream in Pike and Clark counties and town in Pike County."

Du Pratz said the silver mine was on Red River (1), and there is no known evidence that the Portuguese ever came to the Antoine River. Local legend has it that the town was named for a dead Frenchman whose body was discovered on the bank of the nearby river.

http://peace.saumag.edu/swark/articles/ahq/arkansas/colonialnames/colonialnames138.html

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ANTOINE.--- Dr. Branner recalled that Antoine Simon Le Page Du Pratz remarked in his Histoire de la Louisiane that there was "a silver mine in the country of the 'Cadodaquioux' or Caddo, located by a Portuguese named Antoine. Stream in Pike and Clark counties and town in Pike County."

Du Pratz said the silver mine was on Red River (1), and there is no known evidence that the Portuguese ever came to the Antoine River. Local legend has it that the town was named for a dead Frenchman whose body was discovered on the bank of the nearby river.

http://peace.saumag.edu/swark/articles/ahq/arkansas/colonialnames/colonialnames138.html

Hey Ken it?s Dean known as Truth did you find anything that was worth knowing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread