Mar 4, 2013
SW Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mamafar

Feb 15, 2013
Mark, I heard an approximate location on the one in Edgerly. I think there was a large one in Sulphur, where the 9th grade campus sits. Are you with LCPD ? Cpso?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here are several WW II POW camps locations in Louisiana: Camps Claiborne, Eunice, Gueydan, Kaplan, Livingston, Polk, Ruston and the Hammond Northshore Regional Airport. Perhaps one or more is located close to your area.
Don.......

OP
OP
Sgt440

Sgt440

Mar 4, 2013
SW Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mark, I heard an approximate location on the one in Edgerly. I think there was a large one in Sulphur, where the 9th grade campus sits. Are you with LCPD ? Cpso?

I read about the one at the 9th grade campus. I figured that several tons of dirt were hauled in when they built the campus. Wouldn't hurt to try I guess. I'd like to find the one near Edgerly. It should be on land that hasn't been disturbed too much. I work for CPSO.

Thanks
Mark

NinjaHade

Nov 25, 2014
Detector(s) used
MPX Digital
Pioneer 101 (actually my favorite!)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I live in Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles area). I saw somewhere online that during WWII there were a few POW camps in La. One of them was supposed to be near Edgerly, La. which is not too far from my house. Does anyone know of these camps or how to find the locations of them?

Thanks
Mark

Mark,
I live in Calcasieu Parish as well, and I talked to a few people who said there was a camp off Lakeshore Dr. I did some investigating, and I dug up an old German whiskey bottle! They have since built an office building in that area :angry2: I think it was close to the port.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are several WW II POW camps locations in Louisiana: Camps Claiborne, Eunice, Gueydan, Kaplan, Livingston, Polk, Ruston and the Hammond Northshore Regional Airport. Perhaps one or more is located close to your area.
Don.......

I live in Covington not too far from that airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can find this book

Casey, Powell A. Encyclopedia of Forts, Post, Named Camps and Other Installations in Louisiana, 1700-1981. Claitor's Publishing Division, Baton Rouge: 1983.

Good luck,

Johnny

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See if you can find this book

Casey, Powell A. Encyclopedia of Forts, Post, Named Camps and Other Installations in Louisiana, 1700-1981. Claitor's Publishing Division, Baton Rouge: 1983.

Good luck,

Johnny

Thanks Johnny for looking out for me. I'll look for this book. Knowledge is power in this hobby. Thanks again my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Official Military Atlas of the Civil War. Comp. Cowles, Calvin D Government Printing Office, Washington: 1891-1895. Arno Press, Incorporated and Crown Publishers, Incorporated: 1983, is on eBay for several for under $30.00

emhudson430

Nov 15, 2022
Hi everyone. I live in Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles area). I saw somewhere online that during WWII there were a few POW camps in La. One of them was supposed to be near Edgerly, La. which is not too far from my house. Does anyone know of these camps or how to find the locations of them?

Thanks
Mark
Mark,
My grandfather grew up in Bell City and lived there and served as principal. There was a camp there — he always said in the middle of town. There was an article in The American Press a few years ago about the camps. I have the laminated paper version, but the info may be online. But my grandfather was a storyteller and he knew a lot about them. I believe there was another around Holmwood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread