Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll been metal detecting for a year at least four times a day. I live in Abita Springs and I'm looking to find plat maps so I can do my own search. i'm never actually one for permission yet on private property I guess I'm not there yet, but I am looking for some good secluded areas. If anybody can give me some advice not appreciated.

PS..I'm in Bay St. Louis and these beaches are worthless. LOL

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get permission if u gonna dig in LA. Too many just get out there and we have been questioned by cops many times and we have had permission and been ok.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, this is probably the toughest part of MDing. There are so many MDers now, you really have to find good private property and knock on doors. I bet 50 percent of good hunting is research. You can do schools and playgrounds, and pick up clad and a ring now and then but for good locations, you have to make contacts. Most all the coast beaches have the sand cleaners come through to sift the sand/litter for the tourists. Soil survey maps are helpful, a lot of local history has been grown over or just forgotten.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, this is probably the toughest part of MDing. There are so many MDers now, you really have to find good private property and knock on doors. I bet 50 percent of good hunting is research. You can do schools and playgrounds, and pick up clad and a ring now and then but for good locations, you have to make contacts. Most all the coast beaches have the sand cleaners come through to sift the sand/litter for the tourists. Soil survey maps are helpful, a lot of local history has been grown over or just forgotten.

Thank you so much for the solid advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Bay St. Louis and the beaches are a gold mine, once you bgt past the ring pull things. For old Spanish coins Ocean Springs is the beaches to search. South and west- north-west. Good luck.

Johnny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lived in Bay St. Louis and the beaches are a gold mine, once you bet past the ring pull things. For old Spanish coins Ocean Springs is the beaches to search. South and west- north-west. Good luck.

Johnny

I was in Bay St Louis yesterday! Johnny if you could tell me any good pointers or spots to go I would be very grateful. Wait you mean to tell me you've found Spanish silver on the beach? Do you go in the water or on the beach. I obviously need all help I can get.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and I told you were to look "I lived in Bay St. Louis and the beaches are a gold mine, once you get past the ring pull things. For old Spanish coins Ocean Springs is the beaches to search. South and west- north-west. Good luck."

The beaches all along the coast are good places to search. People lose rings, watches, change etc. My wife and I lived in Clermont Harbor and lost almost everything we had.

Good Luck,

Johnny

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay has used "Civil War Atlas"s starting at under $4.00, Buy it Now with FREE SHIPPING." I just bought one for a reference.

Johnny

Last edited:

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Katrina, I had a book: Encyclopedia of Forts, Post, Named Camps and Other Military Installations in Louisiana, 1700-1981, by Powell A. Casey, it listed every known military site in the state. I tried to replace it, but $180.00, was the lowest price I could find in used condition. If you live in Louisiana, you may find a copy in a library, if you want that type of information. Also check out this site: 18th History: the Camps, Forts, Etc.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought this one IMG_1056.JPG

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Researching old newspapers for where things happened years ago is a good start.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, I lied about those books, I did not have the Battlefield Maps, Ordered it last night. It looks like something I would want to pass on.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, Can you see if Grand Island is off limits to humans? That would be the one south of Hancock County.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread