McClains farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
McClain's farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864

Sacca Gold told the story about her mother Alice as a child during the civil war. Alice remembered being carried to safety by her Black Nanny during a Civil War battle near their house. Her nanny had to carry her through an orchard to the safety of Alice's father's tavern. While running through the orchard, tree branches were being blown off by artillery shells going through them.

Another family story was that Alice's father was being chased by bushwackers during the Civil War. He had to bury his money and escape to Arkansas. He was caught and murdered. His murderers brought his gold toothpick that he always carried back to his home in Newton County, MO and threw it on his wife's lap as proof that they had murdered him. Eliza's sister went to Arkansas to bring his body back for burial. It was thought that maybe Thomas McClain's business partner had him murdered.

On the McClain message board at Genforum.Genealogy.com, Laurel G., a descendent of Amanda McClain, Thomas's sister writes, "Amanda moved with her children to Newtonia, Missouri to live with her brother Tom around the end of the Civil War. He was shot & killed by his best friend Bob Christian."

This map shows McClain's farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864. This map is from the American Memory Project at http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html

Attachments

• civil_war_newtonia.jpg
    civil_war_newtonia.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,218

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: McClain's farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864

Why must you find such great leads, right on the brink of my leaving for Florida?! lol
I'm gonna have to come and see you & the girls before I leave... sometime...

Bran <><

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I have hunted this location in the past and have found very little. The battle of Newtonia was a running battle spread over a large area and was mainly a calvery battle.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

godisnum1 said:
Why must you find such great leads, right on the brink of my leaving for Florida?! lol
I'm gonna have to come and see you & the girls before I leave... sometime...

Bran <><
I know hon...try to fit us into your busy schedule...LOL...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X

I have hunted this area as well...a few minnies and a medicine bottle at the rebel hospital just south of the farm...
The ground in this area is sooooooo soft....no rocks, deep plugs...like butter. But i think everything has sunk pretty deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread