McClains farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    299 times

McClain's farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864

Sacca Gold told the story about her mother Alice as a child during the civil war. Alice remembered being carried to safety by her Black Nanny during a Civil War battle near their house. Her nanny had to carry her through an orchard to the safety of Alice's father's tavern. While running through the orchard, tree branches were being blown off by artillery shells going through them.

Another family story was that Alice's father was being chased by bushwackers during the Civil War. He had to bury his money and escape to Arkansas. He was caught and murdered. His murderers brought his gold toothpick that he always carried back to his home in Newton County, MO and threw it on his wife's lap as proof that they had murdered him. Eliza's sister went to Arkansas to bring his body back for burial. It was thought that maybe Thomas McClain's business partner had him murdered.

On the McClain message board at Genforum.Genealogy.com, Laurel G., a descendent of Amanda McClain, Thomas's sister writes, "Amanda moved with her children to Newtonia, Missouri to live with her brother Tom around the end of the Civil War. He was shot & killed by his best friend Bob Christian."

This map shows McClain's farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864. This map is from the American Memory Project at http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/amhome.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	civil_war_newtonia.jpg 
Views:	1144 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	293581  
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    "WP"

May 2005
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    White's IDX Pro, Vibraprobe 570, Minelab Explorer XS w/ Sunray X-1 Probe & Sunray Stealth X-12 DD Coil
    174 times
    History, Metal Detecting, and Survival & Self-Sufficiency

Re: McClain's farm during a battle in Newtonia, Newton Co., Missouri in 1864

Why must you find such great leads, right on the brink of my leaving for Florida?! lol
    I'm gonna have to come and see you & the girls before I leave... sometime...

Bran <><
    Rom. 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

Rom. 10:10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Apr 2007
    Joplin, MO
    Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
    1 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

I have hunted this location in the past and have found very little. The battle of Newtonia was a running battle spread over a large area and was mainly a calvery battle.

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    299 times

Quote Originally Posted by godisnum1
    Why must you find such great leads, right on the brink of my leaving for Florida?! lol
    I'm gonna have to come and see you & the girls before I leave... sometime...

Bran <><
    I know hon...try to fit us into your busy schedule...LOL...
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    Lookit Tha Size O' Those Hog-Mollies!!!

Jan 2009
    SW MO
    Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
    4690 times

I have hunted this area as well...a few minnies and a medicine bottle at the rebel hospital just south of the farm...
    The ground in this area is sooooooo soft....no rocks, deep plugs...like butter. But i think everything has sunk pretty deep.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links