Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much in western NC. Most of the activity was to the east, on the coastal plain where Greene and Cornwallis chased each other, and then Cornwallis' movement to Yorktown.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to find where he camped at abbotts creek.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What county is that in? I have some reference books, and the month and year would be helpful because the reference books are chronological.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davidson county unless it was something else back then, legend is he buried gold in the area. I believe treasure hunter Jerry Williams found it in the 80s but wonder if he missed something. According to the newspaper account he also wrote not naming the finder( probably him) it was in an area that used to be horseshoe shaped but now isnt.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll see what's in the reference books. May take a bit though.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have time and thanks.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some interesting information. http://www.trading-ford.org/Trading_Ford_on_the_Yadkin_rev_12-09.pdf

Also, the one "big" bend in Abbott's Creek is just south-southeast of Lexington, NC. Still looking at the references, but they are vague.

Abbott's Creek empties into the Yadkin River. BTW Cornwallis traveled 28-30 miles a day, and with 2100 troops, no easy task.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking it out now.

Phatt_Rhatt

Greenie
Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Articles about it...

cornwallis gold2.jpg cornwallis gold1.jpg cornwallis gold.jpg

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if Jerry Williams is still around would like to hear his take on the last article.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They (British, American and French troops) did not bury gold. Not even at Saratoga and Yorktown. It just wasn't a popular thing to do. Sometimes you get Spanish silvers and KGII and KGIII coppers and occasionally a French coin on Rev sites, but rarely, very rarely does gold ever show up, and certainly not in volume.

Larry336

Sep 27, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Max - Primary
Ace 350 - Back up
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trying to find any maps or books of where the British made camps in western nc. I'm not having much luck with google.
Ive been searching there myself, with no luck. I stopped on old 64 where abbotts creek crosses the road, there is a horseshoe type of bend in the creek there.

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trying to find any maps or books of where the British made camps in western nc. I'm not having much luck with google.

Might want to check on Gilbert Town in Rutherford County - Cowans Ford and Cane Creek in McDowell. British Major Patrick Ferguson was in and about from Burke, McDowell, and Rutherford prior to Battle of Kings Mountain at which he was killed by the Over the Mountain Men led by John Sevier of Seiverville, Tn. Check out OVTA , Sevier got men from Va, Tn. NC, SC, and Ga after Ferguson threatened to go to Sevierville and fight them in their home land if they didn't pledge allegiance to the King of England which I think was King George II, Sevier decided to go hunt Ferguson and fight him elsewhere rather that Tn. and found Ferguson at Kings Mountain. The men spent two nights in my community in Dysartsville in McDowell at Bedford Hill because it was raining so hard on their way to Kings Mountain.

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
I have friends that are History buffs and also MD. Back around 2000 they invited me to detect a camp near Denver, Linconton area. The area had a very large rock with a flat top that made id look like a giant table. Story was that the "Table Rock" id where Cornwallis took his tea each day while camped there.
We didnt find very much, just a sack full of the red coats empty beer cans, but did go away with nice memories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions